Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Assume everybody has seen pics of the new Ducato by now?

Am still wondering what Ram Truck is going to do for 2016? Read a rumor about a bigger Chrysler gas motor. But the big Q about the new headlights, hood, grille, chin seems to remain in Black Hole. Maybe new colors? Or finally a passenger model?

Stopped at big Albany Ram Truck dealer & they were flat out of ProMasters, could no longer order 2015's & didn't know when they'd be able to order 2016's. And of course knew nothing about changes. Seems like a **** of a way to run a business?

Stopped at small local Ram dealer & commercial truck guy couldn't find what I wanted in 500 mile radius. Not even in white! He'd just got back from sick leave with broken leg & expects news by early August. Guessed 2016's will just be a point in VIN records. Has 4 empty MR cargo models, white one had side & rear windows.

Stopped what I was doing & Googled 2016 Ram Promaster. It's like the classic 'Twilight Zone' scene with seamless infinite background - nothing to see anywhere, like Pea Soup fog, no horizon, White Out, zip, nada, ziltch.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
ARI who charts start up and production dates for fleet buyers gives the last date of the 2015 production as having been July 10 but only gives July as the start up for 2016 production. Earlier they gave July 13th as the date so it looked like it would not be possible to change over to the newer front end. Now who knows? I sort of hope its just a note on the succession of VINS as I haven't received my 2015 and I hate to have it be the "old" style already.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently "the newer front end" came out on the 2014 Fiat Ducato, so it was already "the old style" for the now out of production 2015 version.

Tried to Google 2016 Citroen Jumper w/o success & discovered it's buried under a virtual avalanche of Citroen Jumpy info.

Reminded me of all the confusion Ford created by naming their new full size van Transit & their minivan Transit Connect.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I have to say Fiat-Chrysler's decision to name the "Promaster City" was not a good choice either. Ram CitiVan might have been better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd think the name ProMaster City might cause similar issues to the Jumper-Jumpy problem, but just did a Google search for Ram ProMaster & got mostly good results.

Have also never seen any confusion at Ram Truck dealers, a problem that's been persistent at Ford dealers.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you look at FCA's old 5 year plan data on Allpar, there was a refresh for the PM in 2017, 3 years in production.
I would expect that at that time the new Ducato front end would make its appearance.
I wish that the 2016's would have the new front end, my order would be in....

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
keithwwalker,
If you had purchased a 2014 when you first posted here that you wanted the new front you would be able to own it for nearly 3 years and many miles before the new front shows up on dealer's lots next year (perhaps). I do remember you didn't like the looks of the current one.
I bought a 1994 Explorer because I liked the front treatment better than the 1995. I never regretted it and I got a healthy discount due to the style change. My daughter did the same with a 2002 4 runner for the same reason. I liked the 3rd gen. 4 runner so much I bought hers 10 years and 210,000 miles later! Neither product has gotten better looking IMHO. I hope to feel the same about the "old" Promaster for many years.

·
Registered
427 Posts
As far as we all know, the 2016 models will be the same as 2015. Perhaps some options and pricing will be juggled a bit. Same engines, same transmissions. There will be no "bigger" gas engine ... the 3.6 Pentastar was intended to replace all of the prior V6 engines of varying displacements, and the only alterations have been smaller (the Cherokee uses a 3.2 Pentastar). Granted, there is some sort of yet-undisclosed Pentastar Upgrade coming down the pike, but there's nothing announced in public. I would say the Fiat Multiair variable valve lift system is a high probability (for a little better mileage), direct-injection is a low probability (Fiat/Chrysler doesn't seem sold on it and has not used it in any high-volume production engines), and surely the engine will include various tweaks that the engineers have learned over the years, but this is an "upgrade" not a "redesign".

Sooner or later the 62TE transmission is going away and the 9HP will replace it ...but as long as the current minivan stays in production (approx another year) they are keeping the 62TE in production. I suspect 9HP and Pentastar Upgrade will all happen at the same time as the RU minivan and the scheduled facelift for the ProMaster, i.e. 2017.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I like the current style and the future style.Have owned many vans over the years.
This one is hands down the most capable for what a van is designed for.
Had this van for one year and 3 months and my face is stuck in smile mode.:)
Starting to get smile wrinkles.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I see your point RDinNHandAZ, but I don't trade in vehicles. In the last 20 years I have purchased one vehicle, my VW Doka. I still have it and it runs well, and does most of the things the future PM does (haul motorcycles).

I expect to get the PM and keep it for a LONG time.
If they don't do the new front end in 2017 (may 2016), I will probably break down and put in my order. Thats ~9 months from now.

keithwwalker,
If you had purchased a 2014 when you first posted here that you wanted the new front you would be able to own it for nearly 3 years and many miles before the new front shows up on dealer's lots next year (perhaps). I do remember you didn't like the looks of the current one.
I bought a 1994 Explorer because I liked the front treatment better than the 1995. I never regretted it and I got a healthy discount due to the style change. My daughter did the same with a 2002 4 runner for the same reason. I liked the 3rd gen. 4 runner so much I bought hers 10 years and 210,000 miles later! Neither product has gotten better looking IMHO. I hope to feel the same about the "old" Promaster for many years.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Come to think of it I have never traded in a vehicle either in 50 years of auto ownership. So style and style changes really don't matter to me either in terms of their value. I like the current PM, I like the Euro current Ducato a bit better, but I am afraid FCA may try to make the next one a RAM front going away from the Euro looks. Ford did that and the transit is ugly for trying to look like the front of an F150 HD. Bad choice in my mind. Really the Chrysler grill on the current van is not as nice as any of the Euro 2007-2014 series IMO. Look at keeponvaning's Citroën grill.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree, but the nice thing about the Ram, Fiat, Citroen and Peugeot grilles is that they all interchange. I think going forward, FCA will minimize body and trim costs, such that you won't see bespoke front end for the US market. Actually the Citroen 2015 front end is my favorite right now:

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I posted this artist's drawing earlier and every time I come across it I cringe! Why couldn't something similar bolt up to the ducato/jumper/promaster chassis for the Americas?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I posted this artist's drawing earlier and every time I come across it I cringe! Why couldn't something similar bolt up to the ducato/jumper/promaster chassis for the Americas?
That there is a truck person that is trying to make a van look like a truck.
YUK!!! Put some big tires on there also. And maybe some exhaust stacks.

Oh how about some air horns too.:eek:Monster Van .4x4.:)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Below is a monster van . It even has a wing on the back.Missing stacks though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
At least show a FCA product when talkin' monster vans. >:D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Been wondering when the first photos of a jacked-up/lifted, 4x4 converted PM will show up...

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
To me it looks like the hood hinge is moved over to allow the new look.
So if some one was considering modifying it would not be just changing
parts. There seems to be much more involved.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts