Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, picked up my 3500 high top 12-23-14 ordered 9-15-14. Cleveland Ohio. Has anyone changed antenna to a shorter one? Also can not get any of my interior lights to work in there a master switch?? THANKS ken

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Ken,

I replaced my antenna with a shorter stainless steel one. My carport allows only 3" clearance and the OEM antenna was rubbing the ceiling of the carport.

Easy to replace if you can reach the antenna. I leaned a blanketed stepladder against the A pillar and I could just reach the antenna to unthread it and thread in a new one.

No change in radio reception.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed, Thanks for the info, could you give me a part name and part number so I can order one.
I have the same problem with the antenna clearance. THANKS!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Funny, mine hit carport too. Took mine off completely. Don't need it for siriusXM

I would be interested in sticking a shorter one in just to have it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dwight, I'm hoping Proeddie gets back to me with a part number if not I'll let you know
what I find at the parts store or online.
ken

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm a Ham Radio guy and I had a stainless steel whip that I just cut to length and inserted in a threaded fitting that worked.

On the other hand, I have seen in auto parts stores, a "universal fit" car antenna that had 3 or 4 different threaded studs and a metal antenna whip. That would work for the Promaster.

If you unscrew the antenna, and take it to a parts store like Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. I'm sure they would have a replacement antenna that you could buy and then cut to length. Just make sure you buy a metal antenna, not one of those rubber or fiberglass ones. The metal ones are usually stainless steel and can be cut. The rubber or fiberglass ones usually have a coil of wire inside, and don't work right when cut.

Next time I'm in a parts store, I'll look for a specific model, but I'm sure that you will find one in your local parts store.

Ed

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
To further clarify,

I looked at my original antenna. It is a "wound" antenna (note the spiral line on the antenna - that's the wire). Cutting it may have an impact on the coil inside. The wire sometimes is wrapped up the antenna then back down, so cutting at the end will break the continuity of the coil.

Here's a picture of the original antenna

The stud that is sticking out the end is an M6 x 1.0 thread, about 3/8" long. Many auto stores will have a replacement metal antenna that you can cut, and will have a threaded stud provided, to match the M6 x1.0 hole that the antenna threads into.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ed,
Thanks for all the help! I hope to get to the auto store today.

ken

·
Registered
887 Posts
I cut mine in half with tin snips. I just didn't care >:D

It's a solid fiberglass mast coated with plastic. Didn't see any sign of a wire inside.

I switched my radio over from SiriusXM to FM. It works on FM.

No idea if it hurt the number of stations you'd get for free.

I figure if you're not using the stock one, might as well try cutting it.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Dwight,

Devil made you do it?

If you peel the plastic/rubber cover off the piece you HACKED off, you should find a wire wrapped around the fiberglass shaft. It's there because (and you can quote me), "fiberglass don't pick up no radio stations, metal do!"

A FM antenna should be around 31" long. To make a shorter antenna, they wrap about 31" of wire around a fiberglass (flexible) rod... voila!

Enjoy whatever stations you do get!
Ed

·
Registered
55 Posts
interior lights do not have a master switch, but any of the light switches I can think of have a off mode, they all operate by rocking them, even the rear door. That's my guess. and they do time out remember.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used a hook and 3M indoor outdoor tape to bend the antenna to fit in my garage. I replaced the original adhesive with the 3M tape. It has been thete since last June 2015, no issues.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Nicedec-Electrostatic-Adherence-Waterproof-Recommend/dp/B0177IIZS6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1456139270&sr=8-4&keywords=heavy+duty+3m+hooks[/ame]

·
Registered
120 Posts
antenna bad connection

speaking of antenna I have found that my antenna wire has a bad connection above the headliner. I have to fist bump it sometimes. does anyone have a picture of what it looks like up there or the simplest way to get at it?

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Shorter Antenna Results

I am looking to replace my antenna with a shorter one. The factory antenna is about 21" long. I found this one on ebay that is 6 3/4" long. Has anyone tried this one or something similar?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHORT-6-3-4-ROOF-ANTENNA-MAST-FITS-2014-2017-Dodge-Ram-Promaster-/331696379990?hash=item4d3aa51856:g:mYYAAOSw4GVYLH61&vxp=mtr
I installed this which brought the height of my regular height van to about 7'8". With the factory antenna, the auto search picked up 43 FM stations. With the shorter antenna it found 21 FM stations.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I never got back with a specific replacement, but I did find these two online.

The first, specifically states it has an M6 stud, which would match the one on the PM

https://www.carid.com/metra/metra-universal-antenna-mast-84219503.html

At 13" it should be better than the 6 0r 7" versions.... OR

The second, has a whole set of universal adapters and should have one for the PM

https://www.carid.com/metra/metra-universal-antenna-mast-87764441.html

At 17" long, this one would be less of a compromise than the 6 or 7" versions out there.

Sorry I forgot about this thread... hope this info helps!

Ed

ps. both of these are from a forum vendor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts