Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a video of my Bazooka bass tube install in a City Wagon.
https://youtu.be/v5Kw6Vqbpno

It is mounted in the rear of the cargo box, acting as a corner horn in the open area.
I used the rear speaker wires to tap from, and use the auto on feature that senses the speaker signal. The only wire that runs to the front of the van is the battery power.
It is the BTA6100 with a 6.5" woofer.
This thing sounds fantastic, much more powerful bass that I was expecting. Using a corner horn loading in the van really makes this tube great.

It also doesn't take up any useful cargo space.

Alan

·
Registered
810 Posts
Good job!
I want to put in an 8" Bazooka in the upper corner where the ceiling meets the wall in my 2o14 regular promaster.
Do both right and left speaker inputs need to be hooked up? Being how it's just a sub, I'm thinking that maybe only 1 speaker side hooked up would work?
What do you think, Allen?
Great job, man and thanks for the vid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here is a video of my Bazooka bass tube install in a City Wagon.
https://youtu.be/v5Kw6Vqbpno

It is mounted in the rear of the cargo box, acting as a corner horn in the open area.
I used the rear speaker wires to tap from, and use the auto on feature that senses the speaker signal. The only wire that runs to the front of the van is the battery power.
It is the BTA6100 with a 6.5" woofer.
This thing sounds fantastic, much more powerful bass that I was expecting. Using a corner horn loading in the van really makes this tube great.

It also doesn't take up any useful cargo space.

Alan
Nice work! Great idea to hang it. Didn't realize that there was that space between the sheetmetal like that. You, sir, have answered some questions regarding that rear molding and how to remove. I only have the front speakers in my wagon, but will add in some rear speakers soon. I have a Pioneer powered compact sub under my seat. Awesome add!
Thank you for the informative vid...and again, great work!

Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Great video, love the mounting system. The product you keep referring to is whats commonly known as " split loom" or " slit loom".
For those who are willing to give up the rear power outlet you can get IGN/12V+ and GND sources from there. Its a 15A circuit shared with the rear power outlet in the centre console, more than enough to power the smaller 6.5" bazooka tube and you don't have to wire anything to the front!
For the non wagon owners you'll have to get a speaker source from the front,only one side is needed from the front or rear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think both should be hooked up. I'm sure it would work with one speaker signal but being stereo you may have some bass on either speaker, you should catch the entire signal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing with these subs: If the bass sounds weak then change the speaker phasing (polarity). This Bazooka has a switch that does this quickly and easily. I had to use it.
When I got the phasing right it just exploded with sound!

Also the auto on (wiring loop left as sent from factory) works great. No need to hook up a remote "on" wire in my opinion.

On the factory Uconnect 5.0NAV radio there is a loudness switch. I switched that off and adjusted the Bazooka bass level knob to get a tight, clean bass. I think the loudness switch on the radio makes a slightly heavy bass sound at low volume. It's a matter of taste, but be aware that there is a loudness switch in the radio to consider.

I'm considering replacing the rear cheap speakers with better 4" speakers to get better high frequencies at the rear seating area. For reference: the factory speaker mounting holes are 4.5" centerline, and the speaker cutout in the fascia is 3.64" diameter. Some good 4" speakers are close to that diameter but the cutout may need to be enlarged slightly.

Alan

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm always the one driving so my money goes into the front speakers, not the rears, unless its a subwoofer. You are correct that Loudness boosts bass frequencies at low volumes, anything above 1/2 its not noticeable in the slightest on or off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried installing a Line output converter behind the factory Uconnect 5.0 unit?

The LOC will supply RCA to an amp under the passenger seat. I am going to be doing this today but I'm not sure what which color wires are for the speakers in the factory harness. I am hoping that I wont need to pop off the front door panels to tap into the wires at the speakers (not as clean of an installation).

I guess I will pull out the factory unit and see if any of the pins or wires are labeled but if anyone has a picture or a diagram that shows the left and right speaker wires and their color, please share.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts