Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50 linear feet of Thinsulate is on the way.
It looked like 45 feet would do so an extra 5 for nooks and crannies.

Small problem with batteries. I'd finally decided that I'd get Trojan T105 AGMs
only to find out that the Manufacturer has suspended production :(
So back to the drawing board on batteries.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cutndry, thanks. I went ahead and got the ones I linked to on the way.
While you're at it please look at this inverter-charger-
https://www.amazon.com/Power-PICOGL...540409&sr=8-1&keywords=2000w+charger+inverter
Give me the nod of approval and I'll get it in route too.
I was trying, but am not 100% positive that it will 'auto-switch', e.g. when I plug into shore power automatically charge the batteries and allow pass-through to the rooftop air conditioner.
Robert

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winston, thank you sir.
As much as I like the price of the Aims I'm still considering a Magnum unit.
But which one? Magnum seems to be loved by all, i.e. scant negative reviews. I can't say that
about Aims.
Our needs are modest though especially since any convenience appliance can be had in DC.
Air conditioner always on shore power and not really a need for pure sine wave now I've discovered I can
charge my laptop while driving.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wish we could remember why we scratched AIMS from our list . . . it might have been the numerous warnings in the manual to avoid 'firing-up' the inverter with loads connected. Strange, we thought, as, by definition, if the unit auto switches and shore power is lost, well, the inverter is going to instantaneously assume whatever loads were "up" when shore power failed. Can't be there to babysit. We called the manufacturer and weren't assured by the answer or competence of the person who answered. Anyway, we purchased the Magnum 2812 (which we still haven't tested).

We may have 'oversubscribed' to AC as, in the past, our needs have been close to zero. This time, though, we've decided to dump LP (fuel) and the last vestiges of Coleman and white gas in favor of electric and electric induction cooking. Time will tell . . .

A thought on AC and laptops . . . We run our laptop (now technically a Surface tablet) nearly 100% while traveling. The thought of continuously running a multi-KW capable inverter to power a low power (50 watt) computer makes no sense. We recommend spending the 'big bucks' and getting a quality LIND 12 volt power supply for your laptop. It, of course, powers the laptop while maintaining a full charge on the battery should you chose to sit by the campfire with laptop on lap.

·
Registered
627 Posts
www.lindelectronics.com

We've been using LIND since our first ThinkPad back in 1998 - - so we were pleased to discover that they had a model for the Surface (with its very specialized connector). This is a case where you get what you pay for . . . more pricey, but after two decades, no issues, no failures.

For us the difficulty in selecting a charger-inverter was very tedious as we downloaded and read the full manual for each 'candidate'. And, as you noted, one of the reasons for our purchase was Magnum's favorable reputation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts