Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I need help with the bed's operation. From pictures I can't see where the bed ends up when not in use. Seems like it would block overhead cabinets in up position. I must be missing something obvious.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
After watching the video I'm still not sure what problem or design feature the elevating bed is trying to solve. I can see where half way up it may be OK to sleep while still having room below for bikes or other small cargo (working much like a platform bed). However, I'm not following what's below the bed that can be accessed only when bed is up. I can't see if it's more storage, or living space or what?

Bed in up position seems to block access to overhead storage, and also seems to block standup room below it. I'm sure there must be more to overall design than what I'm seeing. A drop down bed that doesn't get out of the way more than what I'm seeing doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think that RV manufactures are trying to come up with new creative ideas to set them apart. Safari Condo has some unique ideas with all they’re plans.
When I first started thinking about buying a class B van I wanted to get one like the Sportsmobile Sprinter RB111s with a 72 inch dinette in the back and a bathroom behind the driver seat. Our family of three are renting one for a week next month. I showed the wife that it has a shower/bath so she’s sold on the idea but the more I read the more I like the idea of keeping all the tall cabinets in the back. I guess I’ll rent different RVs until I or we find the best for us.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I think that RV manufactures are trying to come up with new creative ideas to set them apart. Safari Condo has some unique ideas with all they’re plans.
When I first started thinking about buying a class B van I wanted to get one like the Sportsmobile Sprinter RB111s with a 72 inch dinette in the back and a bathroom behind the driver seat. Our family of three are renting one for a week next month. I showed the wife that it has a shower/bath so she’s sold on the idea but the more I read the more I like the idea of keeping all the tall cabinets in the back. I guess I’ll rent different RVs until I or we find the best for us.
I highly recommend you rent as you've stated -- it's an excellent way to find out what you like and don't like. And to us some of what we learned was unexpected.

Our first RV experience about 20 years ago (I think early 90s) was with a Cruise America Class C we rented in Texas and drove to Yellowstone for a 2-week trip. When we got back we started looking to buy and ended up with a smaller Class C. And because we spend so much time on the road traveling instead of at camp grounds for extended periods, we also liked having all tall partitions in back. In our compact Class C it was just the bathroom, closet, and refrigerator at the rear that were tall and blocked the view, making the front very open. That way all family members can sit in front and share the touring experience just like in a car. When you have a vertical partition in the middle of a camper it makes it seem smaller to me. It's one of the things I may not like about the PM-based Travato (I'm keeping an open mind though).

On the topic of partitions, and how they make an RV feel smaller or cramped, I really don't like slide outs in bigger units when they are in the in position. Almost always units are shown with slides out, but if you look at a model with them in, sometimes it's pure chaos. For people who drive to a destination and stay there for long periods I'm sure they are great, but for those who like exploring in their RV they can really close off the unit; particularly if traveling with other who have to sit in back behind walls.

Again, I think your idea to rent is a great one. Try to rent as close to what you plan to buy as possible. Last year we rented another large Class C for 3 weeks to travel to Yosemite with family members (too many for our van) and it confirmed for me that I much prefer a smaller van camper when it's just my wife and me. The extra space of a large Class C is no doubt very nice, but it's not worth it for us. It's too much gas, limits where you can go, hard to park, tiring to drive, it's noisy, and so on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts