Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have and love the MaxAir. We also have and love our venting windows. Last night when it was 79° and humid (condensate on outside of windshield) at 8:30 pm, we chose to use neither.

Instead, we put the Stanley shop fan on the counter facing up, and with the slowest speed gently circulated the slightly cooler (75°) but much, much drier (<30%RH) interior air. The effect was similar to having a ceiling fan over the bed. The door was opened for only one exit and entrance before morning. We slept quite comfortably.

We bought this fan for $20 some Black Friday. Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001BJDUQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1497290054&sr=8-15&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=shop+fans+portable&dpPl=1&dpID=51%2BGW3mO6hL&ref=plSrch

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Great idea.
I don’t like adding 120volt stuff to my van if there is a 12 volt alternative. Remember you can plug in and still use the 12 volt but on battery you must keep that inverter running with its 10% loss (or more) for the 120 volts. Thats fine for a microwave or induction heater that will be on a short time but overnight?
Why not use this one that is reputed to be a great fan even if it is spendy?
https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-0...d=1497294084&sr=1-2&keywords=12+volt+shop+fan
Or perhaps this China Cheapy.
https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RP80...rd_wg=ZaIDY&psc=1&refRID=F4CYWH4091SVH252SP03

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it worked as well as it did because it faced upward. I plan to check the wattage when I get home. It moves a huge amount of air even on low.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The Fantastic fan? I understand 1.1 amps on low. It is three speed I think. Ed has one he will check I hope.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Can you use the max fan with the lid closed to circulate air in the van?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How much air does this 12v fan circulate compared to the MaxAir/Fantastic ceiling-mounted fan? The Stanley moves several times as much.

I'd have never guessed:

High: 0.7 amp
Medium: 0.63 amp
Low: 0.54 amp

So the only downside is running the inverter.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Those are amps at 120 volts though- so converted into watts they are 84, 75.6, and 64.8. Ed’s fan would draw 1.1 amp at 12 volts on low for 13.2 watts and 2.6 amps for 31.2 Watts on high. Even without the inverter inefficiency the 12 volt fan draws half as much on high as the Stanley does on low. This may not be an issue if there is lots of battery.
I’d guess either fan will use no more than the Espar or Wabasto heaters we use when cold. So not having used either, that Stanley may well be worth the extra juice if it results in extra comfort.
When we meet up again there should be a Van-Fan-Shootout and then burgers off the fold and go grills.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's an order of magnitude among friends? (For some reason, my emojis, my quick reply and attachment viewing stopped working on the iPad a few days ago.)

You get what you pay for, though. I found specs suggesting that Proeddie's fan is what-and-what with the MaxxAir. I opened one window and turned the MaxxAir on high. Light but steady breeze. Turn the Stanley on low and you don't want it blowing directly on you. It is commonly used for drying carpet, etc. That night, it was worth the few extra bucks for an electric site.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
The Fantastic fan appears to be the guts of a 3 speed Fantastic roof vent mounted in a box fan case. It's pretty quiet on low... you definitely know it's there on high. In FL last summer, we kept it on medium at night. I had it out an used it in NH recently, but the topic never came up! Ready for a shootout!

When I first got it, I had a screen in the from passenger door window and used it to suck in air from outside.... but there was no outlet at the back of the van unless I cracked open the back door. I had planned on mounting it below my yet-to-be installed-and-not-sure-I'm-gonna sunroof, to work like a ceiling fan on exhaust.

Looking forward to trying it on the front on my kitchen cabinet (where I usually put it) with the MaxxAir on at the back of the van ceiling.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Has anyone put a "whole house fan" in their PM? I am going to do this: mount an exhaust fan in an inconspicuous place in the van, will run it on exhaust only to draw in fresh air from the open windows. Part of the reason I wanted to do this is so that I could use the full size roof panel cutout with an automotive sunroof, they are only $200ish, glass and tilt open, made by CR lawrence. Although more work and more money this seems like it will be much better and more effective than a fastastic fan/maxair.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
... so that I could use the full size roof panel cutout with an automotive sunroof, they are only $200ish, glass and tilt open, made by CR lawrence.
If you get a chance, send me an email....email address is at website in my signature below.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you use the max fan with the lid closed to circulate air in the van?
Yes, I have done this. Low speed, direction set to blow into van interior.

But very effective for personal/spot cooling is this Coleman Tent Fan
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/210968/coleman-portable-tent-fan-polymer-black
Runs for 2 nights on one D-cell. Magnetic attachment. Pliable plastic blade can be stopped by a finger (with no damage to the finger). Amazing output for its size/power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm in the middle of my van build and have chosen to install 4 mini fans to circulate the air inside my van... I purchased these on amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GPY34Y8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They use 4 watts each and run on 12v. I mounted one in each top corner of the van, and they swivel and turn in every direction. I have the fans wired to rocker switches so I can control front fans and rear fans separately at the flip of a wall switch. Those combined with my Max fan create an awesome air flow and circulation in my van... keeps me cool in sunny FL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts