Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two mechanics tell me that the engine in a ProMaster isn't big enough to do what I want to do (a minimal RV conversion) and go where I want to go (including the mountains). But then they've also given me advice about other vehicles to consider that turned out to be incorrect. I'm here to find out what people who have done it are experiencing.

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
Your two "mechanics" are fools! Pay no attention to them at all.

Welcome! ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
We have a heavy conversion (usually 8500-8600lbs fully loaded) and the only power issue we have with the diesel is limited compression braking on steep downhills. Long, steep grades (>7%) require some driving skill and the awareness to balance between engine and friction braking, but this is true for most campervan RVs.

I don't think you will have any power issues with a "minimal" conversion.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,812 Posts
Your mechanics are full of malarkey. Lack of power simply isn't on the radar with either engine. Maybe it's on the same far planet as rust, another non-issue for the PM. Even the Travato, which Winnebago has loaded the gills, as enough power.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,562 Posts
Apparently they have not seen the Promaster school bus.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,116 Posts
Just not true.
We have a PM conversion with the gas engine and its absolutely just fine on power.

We live in the MT and do serious mountain driving all the time -- it does just fine. I pass cars are mountain grades all the time.

We just got back from a 7000 mile trip up the the Alaska highway to the Yukon -- the PM performed absolutely flawlessly.

Gary

·
Registered
627 Posts
We've just spent 3 months and 15,000 miles in the western US and Canada and Alaska - - largely in the mountains.

The Promaster is no match for our Turbo-Diesel Jetta . . . but, with the occasional use of downshifting (gas automatic with so-called 'manual' over-rides) - - it is adequate. No regrets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts