·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
Can't see the .pdf. Try again?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wanted to further update this thread, because I actually LEARNED something this week.

If you are doing oil changes yourself, it's very VERY easy to over tighten the filter housing cap. I did exactly this, and had to really fight to get it off. Looking into it, I came to find out that torque specs differ VASTLY when you are tightening something that's "wet" with oil. I have been lubing the o-ring on the underside of the cap, then tightening it down. I should have known to not tighten it too much; when I was a kid I worked in an oil change place and we were told to put some oil on the rubber seal ring on the filter, and then just make it snug BY HAND. We were told that this was more than enough, and it was.

The same holds true for the o-ring. A little tighter than what you could do by hand is fine.

BUT...there's a better way. I had my mechanic tighten it to the book spec with his fancy torque wrench, then paint a witness mark on it. So now no torque wrench is needed when I do it in the field.

Also of note: when I was buying filters at the dealer I was chatting with the guy. He informed me that the nipple tit thingy on the end of the filter mates with a sensor in the housing such that it should fire the CEL if the filter is too loose. I haven't confirmed this yet, but if it's true it's a neat feature. Apparently, the early Pentastars didn't have this system. Have to look into it some more.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It holds 5 qts, plus a portion of a sixth. Id call it 5.25qts. I buy penzoil platinum in the 5 qt jug for $26 at wallymart, and i keep a second jug for the final amount.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My diesel took 9.5 quarts, explains the 18,000 mile oil change interval. More oil, longer time to contaminate and break down.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Our gasser does say 6 qts. I could not get 6 qts out with topsider device. I'm going back to changing the old fashioned way, from the bottom.

I really hate our dip stick. Worthless. I'm certain many of us will have over filled engines.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It holds 5 qts, plus a portion of a sixth. Id call it 5.25qts. I buy penzoil platinum in the 5 qt jug for $26 at wallymart, and i keep a second jug for the final amount.
I went to O Rileys.. 37 for the 5 qt jug of penziol platinum.
Walked out then onto wally world for a 26 dollar jug..
wtf with the other guys?? 10 bucks?? Greed i reckon

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Autozone is the same...$36. Theres plenty of negative things about wallyworld, but they do have low prices.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kip-on-trucking,

Just noticed your post on tightening the oil filter. Our oil filter has an o-ring that is designed to seal on the side wall of that can that sticks up. So tightening, is not even required for the o ring to work.

It's stress free, idiot proof, for making the seal. Brilliant design actually.

·
Super Moderator
9,456 Posts
Autozone is the same...$36. Theres plenty of negative things about wallyworld, but they do have low prices.
Sam's, BJ's and Costco often have Pennzoil synthetic on sale for less than $4/qt when you buy a six pack. I've found the typical auto supply stores have some of the highest prices out there on just about everything unless on sale. I try to buy everything on line these days. Many times it's the only way to even find things that are even the slightest bit unusual!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Dwight,
Actually, the o-ring design does pose a danger because its super easy to overtighten it. The ring and the dab of oil you lube it with make the torque spec probably something like 15lbs, which seems loose when you do it, so the tendency is to overtighten. Do that, and youll have a tough time getting it back off. The location makes it hard to get good leverage. The nut is a 24mm which nobody has, so youll substitute a 15/16ths which wants to round the plastic nut.

The solution is to paint or scratch a witness mark on the cap and housing when the van is new.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I probably didn't explain myself very well.

I recall the o-ring was located as a radial seal. Meaning it seals on the ID of the can once screwed in.

Below is example of radially sealing o ring. With a radial sealing design it removes the critcal torque from playing a part in the sealing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dislike changing the oil from the top because of the reasons already mentioned.

This is my solution, since I am an expediter and I needed a way to be able to change the oil on the road. I do not want to take my vehicle anywhere to be worked on because in my experience someone always screws something up.

So, I purchased a Fumoto drain valve, they make diferent sizes for different vehicles. I attached a piece of hose to it that I stick in an empty jug. So my oil change goes like this. Put the empty jug underneath, stick the whose in it and open the valve. While the oil is draining I change the filter. By the time I am done with the filter the oil is drained. Close the valve. Fill the engine with oil. By the time this step is done all the oil in the hose would be drained. No mess whatsoever. The only mess I make is when I pour new oil next to the filling hole instead of in it. This method has worked for me for about 650,000 miles on my Sprinter and I will do the same if I decide to buy a Promaster.

Now on the oil change interval. My Sprinter manual says 10k. Early on I noticed that when 10k miles were up, the oil monitor said I still had about 3k left in oil. So I started an experiment over the next 3 oil changes. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs for analysis when I changed it at 10k. I got back very good numbers and suggestion that the oil was still good and next time to try a bit longer. Next time I tried 12.5k, oil was still good, and to try some more. The third time I tried 15k. Oil could go a bit longer, but I decided that 15k is long enough. So, I have been changing the oil in my Sprinter every 15k for the last 650k or thereabouts and my engine hasn't worn out yet. I don't even have to add oil between changes. Coincidentally, when I get to 15k, the oil monitoring thinggie tells me that I have 2-300 miles left. BTW, i'm not even using amy super duper synthetic oil either. Just good ol' 15w40, Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella, or Chevron Delo, which have the MB specification for my engine. I can get away with this since my van doesn't have a DPF. I wouldn't use this oil in 2007 or newer diesels.

Based on my experience, regular oil is just as good as the supper duper synthetic oil as long as it has the right spec for the engine.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Flying van,
A drain valve makes sense. Like you, im an expediter and need to do oil changes in parking lots. The top side is good only in that i am far too lazy to get under the van, even if just to attach the hose.

It seems self-evident that the only advantage of convential oil over synthetic is price. I use penzoil platinum synthetic at $5.25/qt. conventional is how much?

I am not super knowledgeable on sprinters, but i assume they hold much more oil, if for no other reason than to extend the oil change interval. The pentastar uses oil to control the cams, lube the chain, and cool the pistons. As such, its not going to be tolerant of changes in brand or weight of oil. Underfilling it would be bad enough, but overfill it and the crank
Will froth the oil with air bubbles and would probably cause serious damage.

I change at 5000-7000. I could probably go longer but i dont.

I could be wrong about this, but i dont think oil analysis is going to be as helpful to us as the semis. Even at 10k, theres just not enough hours on the oil to get an idea of which metals are wearing or fuel dilution or water content. Semis go 50-75k on oil, though they hold a lot more oil.

Some semis also use a thing called an OPS filter, which is a parallel system of some kind. Once they pass the break-in, they never change thier oil, only renew the filter and add fresh oil as they burn it. Neat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I could be wrong about this, but i dont think oil analysis is going to be as helpful to us as the semis. Even at 10k, theres just not enough hours on the oil to get an idea of which metals are wearing or fuel dilution or water content. Semis go 50-75k on oil, though they hold a lot more oil.
Oil analysis is very useful for anybody. It tells you what wear metals and in what quantities are in the oil, how much fuel, if there is antifreeze in oil. Also, it tells you how much of the additives are still left in the oil (additives wear out). Other things it tests for is the viscosity, the flash point, the amount of insolubles in the oil (this tells you how good of a job the oil filter is doing).

The most important benefit of the UOA (used oil analysis) is that you can catch and fix a problem before it wrecks your engine. So, once in a while I send a sample in so I can see how my engine is doing.

But, UOA is deviating from the subject. If you want to find out more about it go to www.blackstone-labs.com. I am not affiliated with them in any way, shape or form, just a regular customer.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,392 Posts
Fumoto drain valve - what size/model for the PM - it is not listed as an option on their site.
And what site were you at? You can by direct and Ram PM is listed.
http://fumotodirect.com/
You need to decide what type of nipple you like.
or you can search by part elsewhere these all have the correct thread size of M14-1.5
F-106 VALVE
F106N VALVE W/NIPPLE
F106S VALVE W/SHORT NIPPLE
F316L VALVE W/L NIPPLE

F106SW VALVE W/SHORT NIPPLE & INTEGRATED ADAPTER

ADL-106 ADAPTER-LONG
ADP-106 ADAPTER

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Changed my oil this evening from the top as described by myself above. I decided to try not warming the oil before sucking it out, since it's 80 degrees today. Big mistake. Much pumping, sucking, and hassle. Note to self; warm it every time.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts