Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a company that offers low profile Fantastic Fans. Until now I was not able to use a roof mounted fan because I park under a carport with very little room to spare.

The fan I found has just 2 1/2" clearance above the roof. I tested and it looks like it will fit. I plan to install it at the back end of my PM, over the toilet/dressing area.

A few questions....

- frosted or smoke grey lid? It's dark back there even during the day. Would the smoke lid let a little filtered light in? Hoping to not have to put a white lid on my graphite van.

- Roof adapter for ridges in roof (outside, inside, both?), filler strips for ridges, or just extra putty?

- Do I have to use that lap stuff that looks like it flows all over the place, or can I use a type of caulking that I can finger-round in place once I put it down?

- Noisy? recent reviews say they are noisier than the older ones. I have a Fantastic box fan and it seems to have the same motor. It often has a squeak-squeak-squeak sound at all speeds.

- can you turn it on with the lid cracked open just a bit (for under carport use), or do you have to open it a lot to allow it to work correctly?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated before I make a go/no-go decision on the fan vs. high door vents with computer fans installed. Hopefully others will benefit from your thoughts too!

It's gonna happen soon so we can enjoy a cooler summer, especially when returning to the van in a hot parking lot.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
A few questions....

- Roof adapter for ridges in roof (outside, inside, both?), filler strips for ridges, or just extra putty?

- Do I have to use that lap stuff that looks like it flows all over the place, or can I use a type of caulking that I can finger-round in place once I put it down?

- Noisy? recent reviews say they are noisier than the older ones. I have a Fantastic box fan and it seems to have the same motor. It often has a squeak-squeak-squeak sound at all speeds.

Thanks

I used a wood frame underneath for a few good reasons. I made it fit the ridges by routing it, but gluing +/- 3/8" spacers will also work. It stiffens the area, which also keeps the screws from deforming it. It gives you a mounting for a ceiling around the vent and it makes it so that you don't have screws just hanging down. After cutting the hole I glued it before installing the vent flange. Extra putty tape on the top works fine when you use Dicor lap sealant.

The lap stuff (dicor Lap Sealant self-leveling) is GREAT. It does not flow all over the place and you could use your finger with it too, but I don't think you should. Don't be so vane. Let it do what it is made to do, flow a little and stick, it works VERY well.

I put in a Fantastic Fan vent and a Maxx-air fan vent. compared to the Maxx the Fantastic is very noisy and has an irritating high pitch whine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just found a company that offers low profile Fantastic Fans. Until now I was not able to use a roof mounted fan because I park under a carport with very little room to spare.

The fan I found has just 2 1/2" clearance above the roof. I tested and it looks like it will fit. I plan to install it at the back end of my PM, over the toilet/dressing area.

A few questions....

- frosted or smoke grey lid? It's dark back there even during the day. Would the smoke lid let a little filtered light in? Hoping to not have to put a white lid on my graphite van.

- can you turn it on with the lid cracked open just a bit (for under carport use), or do you have to open it a lot to allow it to work correctly?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated before I make a go/no-go decision on the fan vs. high door vents with computer fans installed. Hopefully others will benefit from your thoughts too!

It's gonna happen soon so we can enjoy a cooler summer, especially when returning to the van in a hot parking lot.

Thanks
I installed a Maxxair fan in the rear of the van, just between the last two cross members. In this spot I didn't need any wood trim pieces inside the van but I used homemade spacers on the exterior between the ribs. I used an ikea 1/4" cutting board cut in 1 1/2" strips and then cut at 45 degree angles making the top side 2 7/8", and the bottom side 2 7/16". I then used sikafix (sp?) underneath the spacers with butyl tape on top, the fan was then mounted on top with self tapping screws through the spacers and metal roof. Sealed with Dicor. I also used the same system for the ventair round roof vent in the bathroom.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skaggy,

Good info. I'm concerned about the noise issue a lot because my Fantastic Box Fan seems to do the same thing, and I think it's the same motor.

ShaunB,

Spent a bunch of time on the phone with MaxxAir. Not much info on the web, but their tech support guy was great! Based on the info so far, I think I can change to MaxxAir. The tech said it was 3.75" high and I think I can get that to fit my carport, especially if I make the "fillers" rather than add the "spacer" height. I'm assuming your picture is pre-Dicor.

If I save the cost of the spacer, I can put it toward the remote version of the MaxxAir!

Thanks guys, great help to me!

·
Registered
494 Posts
The last photo (not displayed, but click on it) shows the dicor. My fan has the integrated rain cover and it's more than 3.75" when retracted. Glad to help.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Skaggy,

ShaunB,

Spent a bunch of time on the phone with MaxxAir. Not much info on the web, but their tech support guy was great! Based on the info so far, I think I can change to MaxxAir. The tech said it was 3.75" high and I think I can get that to fit my carport, especially if I make the "fillers" rather than add the "spacer" height. I'm assuming your picture is pre-Dicor.

If I save the cost of the spacer, I can put it toward the remote version of the MaxxAir!

Thanks guys, great help to me!
Here are pics of the round low profile bathroom vent. This looks to be the lowest profile option, but won't move as much air as a FF or maxxair. I'm just going to use it to exhaust shower/bathroom "air".

Attachments

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Shaun,

In your pictures, the white riser below the black top looks pretty tall. Looks like more than 3.75"...is that possible?

Ed

Edit: duh! I read your response and didn't get it...now I see...I guess the regular maxxair riser is less. Thanks

...time to head for Ikea!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
We CNC roof adapters (to fit the corrugations) for all the RV style 14x14 vents, air conditioners with foam gaskets and also round vents from Ventline and Flettner. Please PM me for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts