Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
I've used it for years without ever having any of those problems (but NH isn't that humid either). Just as long as it isn't on the floor or some other place where it's likely to get wet or damp it should be fine. It's actually very dense and stable and extra flat. A coat of poly or paint on it should easily solve any possible moisture problems. Under a raised bed platform bed is actually a perfect use for it (and it's very inexpensive considering what it does)!

Many people would be shocked to find out what's actually under the coat of paint that's on their new furniture purchase. Masonite (hardboard) is fine but ⅛" or even ¼" just isn't that strong and tends to warp and break very easily under any stress.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I milled all the mouldings in our house from MDF. It machines beautifully because it's basically fine sawdust held together with tons of chemical resin. That makes MDF stinkin' heavy and all those tiny bits of sawdust swell up like crazy when they get wet. The door casing next to our bathroom sink is covered with bumps from water splash despite the fact I sealed it with heavy oil-based primer (sure, I'll replace it ... someday). I used plywood when I built our platform bed at home. I even cut a (labour intensive) slat pattern in it to let the mattress breath underneath to discourage mold here on the wetcoast. But I'll be using IKEA slats in our PM. Less work and less weight.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My folding platform bed is 3/4 inch plywood covered in a vinyl material. When we camped off the Oregon coast I was shocked how soaked the mattress was ( portion that comes in contact with platform bed). 2 people and 2 canines added to the moisture content of the air. Had good airflow.. windows open and both maxx air Fans circulating air all night. Stay away from any substrate that will swell from increased moisture content.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hi,
You might consider MDO plywood (Medium Density Overlay) -- its a premium plywood with resin impregnated face sheets. Very durable, very stable, and very water resistant. Its used for freeway signs and chemical tanks.
Very smooth and takes paint well.

Costs about twice as much as regular plywood, but it performs very well.

One of our local lumber yards stocks it, so should not be too hard to find.

Very nice bed design.

Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing something but with 2 sets (4 total) it looks like you'd have most of the bed supported. If that is the case why even have the plywood?

Awesome idea. I have a '17 PM, just finished the flooring and moving onto the bed this week, I'll be sure to puck up these ramps.

What did you use for wood rails on the side? Did you use a Plusnut or something similar?

Thanks a ton

-Nick

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are ATV loading ramps rated at 1250 pounds but I wouldn’t try it. I weigh 220 and there is very little flex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
Soft-sided storage up high is even with hide-away ramp bed platforms in the ingenuity department - would you share some explanation/photos of those bags in use, please?

I did the Ikea Skorva (3) bed supports on a 3/4" plywood full mattress platform and there is exactly one way to puzzle the single mega-ton plywood sheet in place, then with fidgety tie down screws and Ikea hanger clips it becomes a permanent install very fast, not much fun to swap it around or store the pieces... With a window wagon there will be no storing ramps on the wall for me, that's okay, but thanks for sharing as you've given me some great ideas!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Soft-sided storage up high is even with hide-away ramp bed platforms in the ingenuity department - would you share some explanation/photos of those bags in use, please?
Yes, I really like the bags too. Are those custom made pannier bags?

BTW, your bed set up is awesome too!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, I really like the bags too. Are those custom made pannier bags?

BTW, your bed set up is awesome too!

The bags are great as they are light and don’t make any noise when traveling. I bought the duffle bags cheap at recreation outlet. I made some light boards inside for some structure and hung them on airline L-Track. I also used a grommet tool to put grommets in the bag. The pictures should help.

What’s particularly nice is the pop on and off in a minute so you can have specific bags for activities such as mountain biking, skiing or climbing. Just grab the bag you want and pop it on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The bags are great as they are light and don’t make any noise when traveling. I bought the duffle bags cheap at recreation outlet. I made some light boards inside for some structure and hung them on airline L-Track. I also used a grommet tool to put grommets in the bag.

What’s particularly nice is the pop on and off in a minute so you can have specific bags for activities such as mountain biking, skiing or climbing. Just grab the bag you want and pop it on.
Thx for the reply. So you are using 4 attachment points for the L track per bag? I like the L track and thought about using that for other projects too but the cost seems to be somewhat high. Where did you buy yours? I have heard others using pannier bags for this too but those bags can get costly too.

Do you have a blog listed of your build. I like your panels and the ceiling. We like the simple look and want our van to be used for camping and for hauling things too. Looks like you are planning for the same thing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am, I don’t want to build a camper and would rather have the van configurable to what I want to use it for. Even the extra seat pops in and out. I’m primarily using the van for mountain biking and skiing and likely wont stay in it for more than a week or two. I made the panels to cover all the insulation and that’s it. I didn’t want to take up a ton of space in the van. I don’t have a blog but would be happy to send you more pictures. I have solar on the roof and am using a goal zero 1400 lithium, again to save space and pull it out if need be.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts