Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this post is for those of you who want storage (specifically mountain and road bikes) under a bed platform. This means you need a clear space under the bed for handle bars etc. I wanted to go aluminum for the span but those bed kits are way expensive. I tried some local welding shops and their quotes were worse- like 1000+. So I found this idea and ordered these Reese straight loading ramps- cut the three inch tongue off and they fit perfectly on my 2 by 6 bed rails located 35 inches off the floor. The aluminum was harder to cut than I thought- had to get an edge grinder. Otherwise not too difficult and only 200$ for the two pair. If I was shorter the bed would be done but at 76 inches tall I will be adding 18 more inches supported by a cabinet and my wife and will sleep long ways.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Explor...488677860&sr=1-4&keywords=reese+loading+ramps

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
How thick is the ladder? Curious about the overall thickness of the bed platform ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the tip on these ramps.
I just ordered a set.

Amazon says they ship in 1-2 months.
That is pretty vague, and certainly longer shipping time than most Amazon products.
What was your experience with shipping times?

I plan on making a 36" wide bed, so I will space the 2 ramps 3-4 inch apart and my mattress platform will overhang a few inches beyond the outside of the ramps.
Do you think 1/2" OSB would be strong enough to provide a solid base for a mattress?

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Curious, are you planning on carrying your bikes width wise or length wise?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Do you think 1/2" OSB would be strong enough to provide a solid base for a mattress?
With these aluminum ladders on such close spacing, 1/2" should be fine. But I'd go plywood, it's stiffer and stinks way less than OSB. Also fasten it down if it could go flying in an accident.

·
Registered
79 Posts
With these aluminum ladders on such close spacing, 1/2" should be fine. But I'd go plywood, it's stiffer and stinks way less than OSB. Also fasten it down if it could go flying in an accident.
Even 3/8 or 1/4 birch or similar would be fine to keep the weight down. Keep in mind the weight of someone sitting on the bed is not a concentrated load and is spread by the plywood. The aluminum carries the actual load across the span and will be plenty strong. And yes, plywood over OSB.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info. I thought that OSB was stronger, but I am certainly not an expert.

A google search for "OSB vs Plywood strength" results in some links with info reporting that OSB has greater shear strength, and other links saying that builders seem to feel they have equal strengths.
Of course this info was gleaned by reading abit of 5-6 of the top links. I am not trying to claim that OSB is stronger.

I did read that OSB has alot of trouble handling moisture, and will swell up alot easier than plywood, so that may be enough reason to avoid it.

If I can get away with 3/8" plywood, that would be great. It looks like Baltic Birch is a common plywood used for lightweight strength. I will have to look further into this.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Looking forward to pics and experiences.
We should have the rudiments of a platform bed in place later this week.
We decided to use a few tubes of 80/20 aluminum under a sheet of 3/4 inch oak plywood.
If it deflects we can add more tubes (square) later.
5 x 1x1 inch tubes spanning 72 3/4 inches,and 48 inches wide carrying the plywood carrying us (and a cat).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I thought that OSB was stronger, but I am certainly not an expert.... If I can get away with 3/8" plywood, that would be great. It looks like Baltic Birch is a common plywood used for lightweight strength. I will have to look further into this.
OSB may be better for some things, but a bed it's one of them. Baltic birch would be super. Did you test-load the ramps before installing them? Could you stand on them with little deflection? If so, 3/8 or 1/2 should be fine. Fastening the plywood to the aluminum 'joists' like a subfloor will also increase overall strength.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have the ramps from HF. Galvanized steel vice alloy. Very handy project material. I have welded them right onto open framed cargo trailers to hold sidecar rigs. Bed frame is pure genius!

I also have a set of hinged/conjoinable aluminum ramps from HF that I use to put my tractor or bike into my cargo trailer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Sasquatch- I got them in about a week- no problem with shipping. Used 1/8 ply to fill in the ladder and then 3/8 ply for the bed surface screwed to the ramps.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Great idea!

How tall are you? If you insulate the metal, but don't install plywood panels for the bed area, you can fit a queen size bed sideways, which will save you valuable floor space.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts