Ram Promaster Forum banner
301 - 320 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
428 Posts
Great idea! I'm not happy that my MaxxAir fan loudly announces that I'm a vandweller. Was this easy to do? Perhaps a special kind of paint? (Bumper paint perhaps?)
I took the fan off the roof and disassembled it. Not complicated, but I took a lot of photos for every step to make sure I can put it back together. I primed with plastic adhesion promoter followed with Duplicolor plastic and trim if I remember correctly. I hear of people using other plastic spray paint successfully, but the adhesion promoter might be important.
After over a year there are some slight scratches on the side that rubbed the black off with the up and down of the shroud, I just need to get up there and touch it up. Can’t see it from the bottom.

·
Registered
2020 159" high roof, northern IL
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 · (Edited)
Got my first furring strip installed today. A combination of self-drilling sheet metal screws and bolts with rivnuts, with sill seal across the backside. Tucks in perfectly under the port "B" pillar upper trim. While it was off, I stuffed the cavity with Thinsulate.

Also fished the wires for the front fan thru the interior wood frame. An afterthought. Which is a good transition to admit I did NOT fish the wires for the aft speakers (or any other need) from the upfitters connections in the starboard "B" pillar while its trim was off to put in the Mopar grab handle. I ordered the plugs from eBay, extremely quick shipping included. The lower trim is still off while I build the foot locker, so that will save a step. Still bewildered by why RAM chose the base of the starboard "B" pillar, a dead-end to nowhere, to place the plugs for add-ons. Top of the "B" pillar, or anywhere on the port side, would have been more convenient.

Window Wood Tints and shades Magenta Comfort

Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive lighting Boat

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Font Wood Circuit component Electronic component Fashion accessory

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Trial fit the 30 gallon fresh water and 21 gallon gray water tanks in position. They will sit partially back under the bed as far as the wheel well allows. My 3500 has an existing 3° slope to the front. Has anyone found this sufficient to angle the tanks and get that last bit of water out of them, or should I add a small angle in the cabinet floor to make a bigger slope. I do expect to lose some of that 3° as I add weight to the build.

Wheel Wood Automotive design Tire Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive tire Gas Measuring instrument Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,334 Posts
Hi @Sather

FWIW - IIRC on my 2018 - new and empty it slightly looked like a "Funny Car" to me all jacked at the rear end.

Once my "heavyish" build was in place the outside looked level. Caveat - I never scientifically measured it, but it went from jacked to level looking. Never noticed any out of level for the years that we used it once it was loaded.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
And lastly (I had a busy day), I made my first stab at a template for the rear lower side. Not even close over the wheel wells. But, cardboard is easy to work with and I'll tweak it a bit in the morning.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument Wood String instrument accessory

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,334 Posts
And lastly (I had a busy day), I made my first stab at a template for the rear lower side. Not even close over the wheel wells. But, cardboard is easy to work with and I'll tweak it a bit in the morning.

View attachment 77834
I remember that painful process - my 2021 order I paid extra for upper and lower wall panels - if I do not utilize them they may help for templates $500 C for all 6

Here is what I did for my 2018 build - 6mil Poly (you gotta pay attention to the stretch of the poly - almost 2 people job) Top edge of poly was top of panel right @ the stringer indent;

Gas Machine Electronic device Engineering Air travel

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 · (Edited)
I can't believe that in 8 years of Promaster and Ducatos, there is not a single online template / PDF file of a wheel well template. They are all the same, aren't they? Closest I could find was this from @83Grumman, which was a good start. (Thank you!!!)

These are the dimensions I used to cut my insulation panels, I thought they might be useful to others. You could easily take a 1/4 or 1/2" off the panel size and have a looser fit and just use foam to fill the gaps.
Wood Parallel Font Diagram Engineering

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,334 Posts
I can't believe that in 8 years of Promaster and Ducatos, there is not a single online template / PDF file of a wheel well template. They are all the same, aren't they?
It must be human nature 😁 Once we go thru the pain of the template and have the actual panel we just toss that puppy out.

A local "Sprinter" custom builder has CNC templates for all they build (back in 2018 nothing for Promaster).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 · (Edited)
It must be human nature 😁 Once we go thru the pain of the template and have the actual panel we just toss that puppy out.
Or we are just burned out from having done it. A lot of pictures but not many numbers.
Wood Art Composite material Tints and shades Brick

Your $500 panel option may turn out to be a good investment. You can use them, or trace them and pass along on the secondary market. I was able to sell my cargo floor mat for what I paid for it, so the "template" was free. Here is a set of paper templates for darn near what you paid for your real panels. I wish they were available a la carte.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Schematic

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,334 Posts
Or we are just burned out from having done it. A lot of pictures but not many numbers.
View attachment 77837

Your $500 panel option may turn out to be a good investment. You can use them, or trace them and pass along on the secondary market. I was able to sell my cargo floor mat for what I paid for it, so the "template" was free. Here is a set of paper templates for darn near what you paid for your real panels.

View attachment 77838
That is what I thought @ the time of the order.

I will most likely use the bottom 3 panels (mostly covered up by the furnishings) & fabricate the top 3 panels myself (possibly using to top panels as templates).

Factory ordered option IIRC was $300 C for bottom only & $500 C for all 6. For me it was a no brainer & I will sell them if I use for templates only.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
686 Posts
I took the fan off the roof and disassembled it. Not complicated, but I took a lot of photos for every step to make sure I can put it back together. I primed with plastic adhesion promoter followed with Duplicolor plastic and trim if I remember correctly. I hear of people using other plastic spray paint successfully, but the adhesion promoter might be important.
After over a year there are some slight scratches on the side that rubbed the black off with the up and down of the shroud, I just need to get up there and touch it up. Can’t see it from the bottom.
I can't see your scratches from my front porch. But if I do, you will know who turned you into the homeowners association.🦌😁

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
Yup. That's the same set I referenced in Post #309. I would want the wheel well ones and maybe the one between the D pillars (over the back doors). Can't justify $400 for the whole set, though. Most of my panels will be different than their generic ones.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 · (Edited)
There are a lot of discussions about the difference (pros and cons) between Baltic Birch and regular plywood. I found this narrative which sums it up best, so am including it here also. Thank you, @furnitureguy!

Here's the skinny on baltic birch:
Baltic Birch Plywood is a plywood built using a specific method. It comes from Russia and the nearby Baltic states. There are also some US manufacturers making similar products as well as some decent versions imported from other areas.
Baltic Birch plywood is generally regarded as being of higher quality than standard birch plywood. It is made entirely from birch plies, and unlike regular plywood it has no softwood or filler plies in the center.
Also the plies themselves are thinner, allowing for more plies for a given thickness and they are a uniform 1.5mm thick. This gives it much greater stiffness and stability.
Additionally the outer ply (face veneer) is also 1.5mm thick. Which is about double that of regular hardwood plywood. (Typically walnut, maple, birch, and oak plywood have outer veneer layers that are only 1/30” or 1/32” which is about 3/4mm).
Baltic Birch is glued up with a waterproof glue, which can make it useful in damp situations.
Baltic Birch is superior in screw holding. Which is critical in woodworking. In traditional plywood there are many voids. If a screw penetrates a void, there is no holding strength where the threads meet no wood. And even if it doesn’t hit a void, the core of traditional ply is usually softwood. This doesn’t give nearly the strength of a screw holding in hardwood, which is what Baltic Birch is, since every layer is made of the same hardwood birch.
Joinery is also stronger and better looking in Baltic Birch. Being void free, joints don’t break apart when cutting dovetails or finger joints. And rabbets & dados are better too with no chance of de-lamination. Plus it provides for a very unique & clean look.
Baltic Birch is also significantly stronger. Since there are no voids, there is a consistent layer of glue and every square inch of material from top to bottom is fully bonded. It also has more dimensional stability. In many traditional plywoods there are 5-7 layers for a 3/4” sheet, whereas the same thickness of Baltic Birch has 13 layers. Since it has more layers, and the grain directions alternate it is even less likely to shrink or expand.
However, Baltic Birch also has drawbacks. It typically costs more than regular plywood. And in many locations it is only available in 5’ x 5’ sizes, or a smaller derivative of that. The reason for this is that it’s the preferred size for European cabinetry. (Although some places do have 4’x8’ sheets available). It is typically not sold in big box home improvement stores, which means it isn’t as widely available. Usually it must be bought at a hardwood dealer or woodworking specialty place.
For the woodworker, Baltic Birch can be a fantastic asset. It is an excellent and affordable product for drawer boxes. It holds together tightly with screws even in small pieces without falling apart. And it has great strength & durability for the many jigs and fixtures that the woodworker needs.

I use it almost exclusively for anything that matters. It's greater strength, stability, moisture resistance, and screw holding simplify joinery which offsets the higher cost to some extent. 1/2 inch will often perform as well as 3/4 of a lesser grade. I'm fortunate in that it is regularly available to me from local sources in 4x8's....since I'm in the trades I can get wholesale prices from commercial sources. These sources also sell retail. Check out your local hardwood and plywood suppliers and skip the big-box stores.
Notice the standard plywood has voids (which can allow screws to pull out). Also notice the skin of the BB is thicker, (you can sand it), while the standard is so thin you will most likely sand thru right it.

Automotive lighting Wood Automotive tire Material property Vehicle door

EDIT - for those of us in the midwest, Menards carries 4' x 8' sheets of Baltic Birch as a special order item, in both 1/2" and 3/4" thickness. I purchased 4 sheets of each at their recurring 11% off sales. It is more expensive, but IIRC not prohibitively more than regular birch plywood.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,348 Posts
Still bewildered by why RAM chose the base of the starboard "B" pillar, a dead-end to nowhere, to place the plugs for add-ons. Top of the "B" pillar, or anywhere on the port side, would have been more convenient.
Not for an under-passenger-seat subwoofer. Or maybe a powered step that automatically comes out when you unlock the doors?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
Still bewildered by why RAM chose the base of the starboard "B" pillar, a dead-end to nowhere, to place the plugs for add-ons. Top of the "B" pillar, or anywhere on the port side, would have been more convenient.
My guess, the Fiat Ducato comes in many forms, all the main stuff is in the core, the core being everything in front of the step and below the dash. Class A built on a Ducato is basically the same as the smallest Ducato van.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
Ahhhhhh, the skateboard option still has the bottom of the B pillar. Makes sense now.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,699 Posts
My guess, the Fiat Ducato comes in many forms, all the main stuff is in the core, the core being everything in front of the step and below the dash. Class A built on a Ducato is basically the same as the smallest Ducato van.
View attachment 77853
That looks so cute!

Reactions: Sather

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 · (Edited)
I want to maximize the side-to-side distance at the bed, so plan to "step in" the walls there. Here is my current plan for the rear lower sidewalls. 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood, cut to fit over the wheel wells, from the floor to slightly higher than the horizontal van metal support. A 1" x 3" along the upper edge to add a larger surface and a 1" x 4" horizontally across the top, which is beveled about 70° to sit on top of the metal support. The plywood side wall and its 1" x 3" upper edge get bolted to the metal support with M8 rivnuts in the hex holes. The horizontal "top" board can be screwed into the angled top of the metal support, carefully as the outer sheet metal is close there. Three 1010 rails span the width over the garage for the bed. A back furring strip will hold 3mm BB ply as a side wall in the indented area, which should still leave about 1 1/2" for insulation. I built a "proof of concept" from scraps to check clearances. (The model was built with a too-short 1" x 2" for the edge board, I hadn't measure how far down the hex holes were. A 1" x 3" will reach them.)

A side goal is to hide the step, so it is less obvious. Bottom will be under the mattress, top will be under the cabinets. Sides TBD.

Motor vehicle Wood Red Material property Gas

Automotive tail & brake light Guitar Bumper Paint Automotive exterior

Wood Chair Material property Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Which I did. Taped the cutout back in place, marked the whole sheet with a 1" grid, re-measured everything in Cartesian coordinates, replotted the curve, and made second cutout. Then used that with a few more tweaks to get cutout #3, finally one I am happy with.

Shoe Black Wood Walking shoe Line

Automotive design Red Art Line Motor vehicle

Automotive design Motor vehicle Art Floor Flooring

301 - 320 of 328 Posts