Ram Promaster Forum banner
281 - 300 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
2020 159" high roof, northern IL
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
So....... if I read between the lines correctly, we shouldn't line our upper cabinets with rubber flooring or Reflectix if we ever intend to use them to transport bears. 🐻

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,920 Posts
that... and...

...it's a good idea to use those Rubbermaid containers - they're almost un-bear-ably bear-proof. Plus if they see what's inside, they probably won't waste the time trying to get in. Unless of course, they have a headache... then they might try to open one to get a few Tylenols!

ps. I also use 'em in our Engel fridge. Three of the largest ones fit perfectly in the fridge, and they keep things more organized. (no, I do not work for Rubbermaid, nor get paid for an endorsement!)

Now, back to your regularly scheduled build thread...

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,699 Posts
Have you considered applying a 4 way stretch fabric to the wall/ceiling in the area. Its really easy stuff to work with and looks good. When using it I only apply spray adhesive to the fabric itself so I don't make a mess in the van. It's porous so the glue dries properly. View attachment 77734
What was the adhesive you used? (In some places,) I have used 3M Spray 90 for both polyiso and thinsulate and am not overly fond of the stuff. The directions on the can strongly suggest that you should spray both surfaces that are to be stuck together. And that feels sort of wasteful. But with only 1 side sprayed, I don't get enough confidence that something will stay up, especially if it's in a ceiling situation where gravity is constantly trying to unstick it.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
872 Posts
When I am applying the material I used I want the glue to be wet and not to make an instant bond. I didn't let is tack up first. I needed to be able to work it so I applied it liberally to the material itself. You end up with a layer of dried glue between your surfaces. I have sprayed a light coat on the van side first sometimes but the overspray make a mess of everything.
I would suggest you experiment with it.
I've used Loctite headliner spray, 3m90 and another fabric spray glue.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
872 Posts
I want to do some of that. Do you recommend any particular product or brand?
The name Ozite comes to mind. I'm not an expert, I just done a few vans.

This guy is good.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,425 Posts
I want to do some of that. Do you recommend any particular product or brand?
I used Kovi Fabrics, for the 4-way stretch vinyl. I'm happy with the fabric itself but it absolutely does not seem to want to bond with 3m 90. So be aware of that. The 3M 90 seems to stay sticky on the back of the Kovi fabric. Very strange. After a while the fabric just falls down under its own weight.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ya ever try any of this stuff....2 pcs attach 1 piece wall and 1 to fabric.....that way can get to wiring behind it....use it on quilts on walls....find it at Joanns or other hobby sewing shops

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,334 Posts
So....... if I read between the lines correctly, we shouldn't line our upper cabinets with rubber flooring or Reflectix if we ever intend to use them to transport bears. 🐻
This Kinda fits into you thread as a “Monty Python” side bar

Anyway; good luck with your upper cabinets - whatever you decide. 😁

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 · (Edited)
Forward edge of footrest locker is installed. Wraps around the passenger side B pillar, will cut the factory trim to sit on top of it. (Thank you, @MsNomer!) Two pieces of 1/2" ply used on each side of center to "shim" the difference for the walkthrough to the cab, which is a little bit forward. The back floor is fully bolted to the chassis at the 8 factory tie-down locations, and the step-up wall adds three more to that with the remaining two tie-downs and a rivnut I added to the center hole. (all M8 stainless bolts). The last three are currently leftover 50mm, which are too long but do fit all the way in. I have left them out a bit as a reminder to cut them down, as I am not sure what clearance I have with them sticking out on the underside of the chassis. (i.e. the gas tank is down there.)

interesting side note - McMaster Carr is my usual source for odd hardware needs that my local Lowes doesn't stock. I bought these M8 x 1.25mm x 50mm stainless bolts from them in a 10 pack for $6.80. The 40mm ones (exact same bolt, only shorter) comes in a 5 pack for $9.88! Almost 300% more per bolt. So I will use my existing inventory and Dremel off the 10mm excess.

Flooring Floor Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Front fan Dicor lap sealant applied around perimeter and on screw heads. Fan installed and checked operational with 12V battery. Black blends in nicely when hood down, lot of white with hood up.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,334 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 · (Edited)
I don’t understand the need for all that ply in your footrest box.
Two pieces of 1/2" ply used on each side of center to "shim" the difference for the walkthrough to the cab, which is a little bit forward.
There really isn't a lot of ply there, most of those boards are 3/4" poplar, which will be the fronts of three storage boxes when finished. It will hopefully be a little more clear when it gets further along. The center of the sheet metal "wall" is stepped 1 3/4" forward of the outsides, so two scrap pieces of 1/2" ply fit perfectly in the gap between the sides and the center board, and they perform a secondary support function. The lids that will go on the footrest box will be hinged, with a fixed forward (horizontal) portion that sits across the front boards from side to side. That horizontal board gets abused, both from carrying the weight of the lids (and my feet) via piano hinges and from being stepped on when transiting to/from the cab, so it can't just sit on one edge of one 3/4" poplar board - it would rock like a teeter totter and eventually fail. But sitting "across" several boards supports it at both ends and it acts as a bridge, very stable. So while it looks excessive, most of the structure depicted is to support that fixed horizontal board. And it IS probably overbuilt.

My thank you comment is for your suggestion early on that I cut the "B" pillar plastic trim to sit on top of this board, much easier than trying to precisely cut that horizontal board to fit around the trim (and then never be able to remove the trim again).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 · (Edited)
The black & red look really good together IMO 👍
Thanks. All the factory exterior pieces (bumpers, side trim) were already black, which is why I used a black shore power receptacle, etc. If I ever get after-market rims, they will probably be black as well. Trying to keep everything in the same color palette. (I justified the aluminum on the rack because of the chrome in the grill.)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 · (Edited)
Nah, we're all good here. I am wide open to suggestions, tend to have tunnel vision, and have been known to be completely wrong on many occasions. The extra perspectives the forum offers keeps us all on the same page and going in the right direction. I absolutely appreciate everyone's input.

What we hope we gain here are extra sets of eyes and brains to call out anything that is blatantly wrong (improper use of Reflectix, for example), the occasional oversight (hey, you forgot about running wires for the lights), and subtle improvements (it might give you more storage space if you put a shelf under the sink).

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
428 Posts
Front fan Dicor lap sealant applied around perimeter and on screw heads. Fan installed and checked operational with 12V battery. Black blends in nicely when hood down, lot of white with hood up.

View attachment 77794
That’s why I painted the sides of my fan sides black. I also feel like it visually disappears, even on a white van.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Van

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Especially an aft fan. Looking right into the shroud when open, there is a lot of white plastic exposed to the rear. Hopefully my rack (and stuff on it) will conceal or distract from that.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,699 Posts
That’s why I painted the sides of my fan sides black. I also feel like it visually disappears, even on a white van. View attachment 77800
Great idea! I'm not happy that my MaxxAir fan loudly announces that I'm a vandweller. Was this easy to do? Perhaps a special kind of paint? (Bumper paint perhaps?)

Reactions: Sather
281 - 300 of 328 Posts