Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Local dealership called yesterday, expecting delivery of my 2020 159" high roof tomorrow. (14 Aug, ordered back in March.) Getting a head start with the RV Prep package option. This will be my third build. Started in the 80's with a Dodge B250 short wb, loved it for weekend camping. Kept for years and basically wore it out. Moved on to a 2018 GMC Savana, great powertrain for towing trailer, but again the short interior height / stooping gets old for long trips. After much research (thank you fellow forum members), I settled on the Promaster for its standup height, straight walls, and vast experience and knowledge base of many DIY's. Will be a slow build, since my experience with rushing things has taught me not to. Let the journey begin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess the key word in the first sentence in the first post should be "expecting". Expected delivery date is now officially between 10 and 24 August. In this day of computers and GPS, this is kinda pitiful. When UPS can tell me day by day where my $30 LL Bean order is, you would think that someone would know in real time where their auto carrier with 6 or more $40,000 vehicles is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
31 August 2020. A little over 5 months from order date, "She-Who-Needs-A-Name" arrives at home. Interestingly enough, she spent 2 of those months in transit. $45,355 window sticker, $40K even out the door (including tax, tags, and dealer fees). A little over $8,500 in incentives and rebates.

First impressions...
(1) my feet hang well off the floor when the seat is fully swiveled. Will have to build up some floor storage in that area.
(2) the windshield wiper stalk is exactly where the shift lever is in my last van. So, wipers and washers engaged instead of transmission when I attempted to leave the dealership looking cool.
(3) everything else is exactly what I was expecting, and I am extremely happy with the RV prep package. Ride is nice when empty.

Seriously, in need of a name. CLFFRD was my last big red truck, still in the family, so can't re-use that one. Open to ideas here,,,

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I love that color!

Reactions: Sather

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it will be interesting to see how much red interior u keep.....
Probably not a lot. I imagine it will at least be visible be around the door edges and the rear corner areas for access to tail lights, etc. The 45° bevels around the floor and ceiling perimeter will mostly be covered with cabinets. I was trying to imagine a color scheme that would compliment the red and blend in. I think the factory grey from the front might flow well through the living area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the cargo area floor mat thinking I could just plywood over the top of it, using it as insulation and vapor barrier in one fell swoop. Haven't seen anybody else do that, though, so starting to wonder if it is actually a bad idea. It appears to be a quality, durable piece of rubber-like material, and the edges are perfect to pull it out and use as a template to cut the plywood in any regards. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Don't really need a vapor barrier, as the metal floor is already a vapor barrier. A second barrier would just trap moisture between the two.
I have the same mat. It won't serve very well as insulation or sound deadening. Not sure what your plans are for finished flooring. I used the mat as a template and it worked great. Put tape across the underside of the holes, adhesive facing up. Get your mat lined up exactly where you want it and poke holes in the tape where the tie down bolts are (remove them first). That way they can transfer to your plywood.
I put down 1/2" polyiso, 5/8" plywood, then put the mat back in on top of the plywood. If you want different flooring, someone might buy it. Just another option or 2 for consideration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Names, hmmm....
How about another word that can represent red. Like Fuego! Spanish for fire. Plus it's fun to say, especially with enthusiasm.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,822 Posts
When using your mat as a template, note that it’s a bit shy at slider and rear doors. Probably an inch or so could be added there. I wish I had noticed that.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I suppose there could be minor variation from mat-mat, van-van.
But my mat came right to the edge of the slider opening. I had a small gap at the step going into the cab, but an even gap. And I actually have to trim it in the rear. It's not a straight edge and a section on either side, hangs over the rear edge of the plywood almost an inch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't really need a vapor barrier, as the metal floor is already a vapor barrier. A second barrier would just trap moisture between the two.
I have the same mat. It won't serve very well as insulation or sound deadening. Not sure what your plans are for finished flooring. I used the mat as a template and it worked great. Put tape across the underside of the holes, adhesive facing up. Get your mat lined up exactly where you want it and poke holes in the tape where the tie down bolts are (remove them first). That way they can transfer to your plywood.
I put down 1/2" polyiso, 5/8" plywood, then put the mat back in on top of the plywood. If you want different flooring, someone might buy it. Just another option or 2 for consideration.
Thanks. I like that idea. I originally planned 1/2" polyiso and 1/2" ply, with a laminate flooring on top. May stick with that and sell the mat. Worth the sunk cost just for the template, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When using your mat as a template, note that it’s a bit shy at slider and rear doors. Probably an inch or so could be added there. I wish I had noticed that.
I suppose there could be minor variation from mat-mat, van-van.
But my mat came right to the edge of the slider opening. I had a small gap at the step going into the cab, but an even gap. And I actually have to trim it in the rear. It's not a straight edge and a section on either side, hangs over the rear edge of the plywood almost an inch.
My mat fits really good around the entire perimeter. I was extremely happy with that. I may have to make a tiny gap in front of the slider anyway, for trim to protect the edge of the finished floor and cover the exposed ply / foam.

One thing which was a surprise to me in researching the PM is the floor is level to the slider. I LOVE THAT! My two prior vans both had the traditional footwell, which IMHO wastes a couple square feet of floor space for the minor convenience of a built-in staircase.

·
Registered
113 Posts
****, I just dumped the mat that came with my van. Didn't think of using it as a template. I have no driveway or garage, so anything I'm not keeping forever in the van is a huge hassle to have around, but it would have been handy as a template.

When I was a kid with 5 siblings my parents had a big squeaky dark red passenger van dubbed "The One Ton Tomato".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
****, I just dumped the mat that came with my van. Didn't think of using it as a template. I have no driveway or garage, so anything I'm not keeping forever in the van is a huge hassle to have around, but it would have been handy as a template.
I lucked out there... have use of a commercial building with 12' tall doors, heated in winter, so conversion and storage will be out of the elements. My tools are currently at my house, though, so expecting a lot of back and forth trips as we get going. Or at least until winter, I can drive it home for work and back to garage when done.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,822 Posts
That's about where my mat and floor end at the slider. That little extra sticking out can be a pain when sweeping, and, believe it or not, even that little bit can matter in your layout. It would be easy to add til the floor almost touches the closed door. You can cut it off later, but you can’t add it later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's about where my mat and floor end at the slider. That little extra sticking out can be a pain when sweeping, and, believe it or not, even that little bit can matter in your layout. It would be easy to add til the floor almost touches the closed door. You can cut it off later, but you can’t add it later.
Hadn't though to look at it from inside with the door closed, but I will. Good idea, see how much room I actually have to work with.

P.S. I'm really enjoying reading thru your build documentation. Thanks for sharing that!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts