Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After visiting a few campgrounds on a recent trip to Florida and back, I noticed that some of the big rig motorhomes have added lighting under the RV. It looks good, and it seems to cast a soft glow across the campsite so you don't stumble on things in the dark.

So... I decided to add some Under-PM lights to my DIY campervan.

I bought a few 8' 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum angle stock at the 'Depot. To this I tywrapped color RGB strips. They are wired through a front hole already in the van up through a hole I drilled in the footwell. I routed the wire through plastic tubing to protect it.

Here you can see the tubing, and the aluminum strips that I attached the LED lighting to. The angle stock allowed me to drill holes through the pinch weld at the bottom of the van and attach the strip with stainless steel screws to riv nuts installed in the aluminum. That makes it relatively easy to install or remove for fixes if necessary.

The finished effect looks like this. Added benefit: it lights the hoop steps for easy entry at night.

The lights above are white leds. I purchased RGBW LED strips... red, green. blue, white so I can choose one color or mix colors by switching the main colors on and off together. I have a remote that does that.

A few variations...

I did only one side. I will do the other side, but wanted to see how the system worked for a while before duplicating it on the other side. The LED strips I ought are in a tubing that makes 'em weatherproof (We'll see!)

Total cost... about $60 for two sides. On a trip last week, they really did help at the campsite! I like the "cool factor" too...I've only seen 'em on the big Class A RVs!

Ed

·
Registered
239 Posts
The campground will be like it had the Northern Lights or something

·
Registered
756 Posts
In many many places a LEO stop'n meet and likely peek will happen if one has ground effect glow lighting lit while vehicle is in motion... just mentioning it 'cause I'd be booming down toll roads with the anti-gravity units on max if I could...

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zoomyn,

Yes, I will use these lights for campgrounds mostly. Police get all kind of upset about lighting... location, color, etc.

I was thinking about connecting the white lights to the inside cargo lights so when you open the slider or back doors, the white would go on automatically for a few seconds. Time to look at some wires and figure out how the back dome lights are triggered. I might need a relay if the CANBUS gets upset.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Those lights will attract Interstellar Aliens, Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, and Sasquatch, not to mention Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...If'n one has the upfitters connector option there be lighting signals and aux lighting power circuit to tap into...
I have those digrams... Interestingly, they mention pins 7&8 on the upfit connector, which I also have...... time to get out the voltmeter!

Thanks, I forgot what was on that connector!

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts