Ram Promaster Forum banner

Amazing Auto / SprinterSwivel.com - perhaps a mistake?

641 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  RV8R
I have the 5-way(?) adjustable seats, and the lever mechanism to slide the seat forward and back drags on the swivel assembly. Since this is a "universal" swivel, the top "lip" where the seat bolts on is too wide. If I don't modify it, the seat won't slide since the mechanism will be pinched against the swivel.

I can fix it safely, though I didn't need another delay/hack/hassle. I'll use a combination of bending and grinding to make it clear the swivel mounting plate.

Oh, and their website appears to be blocked by a Cloudflare firewall, with a error message of "Access denied" (tried from several ISPs)

So, it may have been a mistake trying to save a bit of $$ with this swivel ($234 vs $430). Only buy from Amazing Auto if you're ready to handle the hassle (and disappearing customer support website!).

Only slightly related:
I'll have to make the same mod to the Scopema swivel I bought for the driver's seat if I don't use the spacers, though even with the spacers, the Scopema adds less height than the Amazing Auto one. I've removed the plastic trim / cubby storage from just over the windshield (where the visors mount) and have almost 2 inches higher sight line... Now, to replace the storage and re-mount the cab interior ("reading") lights.
Reactions: flippinvanlife
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,865 Posts
I have the 5-way(?) adjustable seats, and the lever mechanism to slide the seat forward and back drags on the swivel assembly. Since this is a "universal" swivel, the top "lip" where the seat bolts on is too wide. If I don't modify it, the seat won't slide since the mechanism will be pinched against the swivel.
Is it possible the swivel is upside down? I don't know your swivel but I know someone had trouble with a CTA installed upside down.

· Registered
2017 Promaster 159wb
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I now have it working great. Since this swivel locks at 135 and 180 degrees from forward, the lock handle needs to rotate with the seat. If that's upside down then so be it. If I had installed it the other side up, the supplied bolts would have hit since the offset is smaller. (Even that smaller offset would have still bound up / locked up the slide mechanism.) Also, the pivot point would have been too close to the door for the seat to swivel.
So, three reasons I don't think I have it upside down.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
2017 Promaster 159wb
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take a pic from further away....not sure what I am looking at.

Wait, is that a double front seat bracket?
Thanks for the offer to help. It's one slider assembly removed from a single tilt adjustable seat sitting on the swivel.

Everything is working now - I don't/didn't need help - was just trying to share info. My question was rhetorical. I even have the Scopema working fairly well with no spacers at all - it's adding only 7/8" to the height of the drivers seat.

One point of the post is that the company's website was gone. It's back, however useless. It has very little help except links to others' install videos - some quite good, others not so much.

Both swivels are good. I was/am questioning if paying $200+ for a 1" shorter swivel is worth it - seems a better deal now that I had to modify both seats anyway. Also, my wife is short, so I need to decide how to give her foot rests, now also 1" higher - perhaps GoTreads stored in front, a flip-down foot rest when swivelled or other storage (which will block the sliding door a bit?)

May do a vid or blog post at some point.

I appreciate all the willingness of folks here to help, and there are some times when I will need to be told I'm doing it wrong.

We're good here with this one...

· Registered
3 Posts
My wife is also short, and I had to build up the passenger floor a bit after I installed the swivels. I just used treated plywood and carpeted it. Took some time to create a pattern to fit the flooring shape and to get the height right. But after a trip or two we got it figured out. When I sit in the passenger seat I have to admit I like the slightly higher floor too.

· Registered
18 Posts
I would encourage everyone to purchase only fully tested swivel adapters. The "Amazing" only claims to be FMVSS 207. FMVSS 210 is required when the seat belts are mounted above the swivel adapter. These should also be tested in the vehicle. We have completed this testing on our USA version Scopema adapters. We are the only Scopema factory authorized swivel dealer in the US.

Steve
EuroCampers.com

· Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,865 Posts
I would encourage everyone to purchase only fully tested swivel adapters. The "Amazing" only claims to be FMVSS 207. FMVSS 210 is required when the seat belts are mounted above the swivel adapter. These should also be tested in the vehicle. We have completed this testing on our USA version Scopema adapters. We are the only Scopema factory authorized swivel dealer in the US.

Steve
EuroCampers.com
Do your swivels maintain the function of the J-hook which connects the seat belt buckle side to the base?

· Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,865 Posts
No. There is no way to operate the swivel and still use the the hook. The swivel did however pass the pull testing without the hook.

Steve
EuroCampers.com
It appears to me that the j-hook is there to prevent the slider from taking the load in an accident.
Why does it matter it the swivel is bullet proof if the slider is the weak link without the j-hook?
Did the swivel and slider pass the pull test?

· Registered
247 Posts

Steve
EuroCampers.com

As far as I know there are no other DOT tested and approved swivels on the market except for the amazing auto one. Pay attention to wording like "designed to meet DOT standards". That means nothing and doesn't mean it was tested. When something like this is DOT tested there is going to be a DOT report available on it. Soooo not really sure what you mean by "fully tested". How are your Scopema swivels "fully tested" if they were never DOT tested?

But nice ad attempt.

· Registered
247 Posts
No. There is no way to operate the swivel and still use the the hook. The swivel did however pass the pull testing without the hook.

Steve
EuroCampers.com
Provide this DOT report please. I find it so weird you are claiming this when the company itself says this....
  • Seat swivels have not been tested for DOT FMVSS 207, S4.2, S4.3 It is the installer’s responsibility to meet the requirements outlined in FSVSS 207.

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,173 Posts
As far as I know there are no other DOT tested and approved swivels on the market except for the amazing auto one. Pay attention to wording like "designed to meet DOT standards". That means nothing and doesn't mean it was tested. When something like this is DOT tested there is going to be a DOT report available on it. Soooo not really sure what you mean by "fully tested". How are your Scopema swivels "fully tested" if they were never DOT tested?

But nice ad attempt.
Right On @Showtime !!

You sound as skeptical as I am 😁.

I got factory swivels on my 2021

1 - 18 of 18 Posts