Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is a bit of an obscure question. I think I have settled on the AMA sliding glass window for my passenger slider. However, the window listed for this has the opening in the rear half of the door. Due to my sink placement and a desire to allow my dog to get his face to the window, I'd like the opening in the front half of the door. I posted on facebook and one guy mentioned he accidentally mounted the drivers slider window on the passenger side and vis-versa and it worked. I confirmed this can be done with AMA, but they said there may be more wind noise. Wondering if anyone on here has done this and if so, if the wind noise is bad enough you wish you hadn't done it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s not recommended by the manufacturer for the very reasons that people have noted - excessive wind noise a water leakage while driving in rain. I would suggest an awning type over a slider for this application, if available.

Have you done it and experienced these issues?
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t want an awning type as I have heard of durability issues when closing the slider door with the window open which is a must for me. Also the CRL awning window would have the same issue as it only opens at the rear half of the door.
Also I spoke to AM auto. They confirmed you CAN use the window this way just warned I might get more wind noise. Can’t speak to motion, CRL or others as I only basked AM auto.
So far, I have the manufacturer saying it’s OK, a user saying it OK, I’m just trying to see if anyone has actually done it says it’s not OK.

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
No, only what I have read on the manufacturer’s sites. I would stay away from any opening windows on the slider or on the other side. One in the back side is more than enough. You are probably correct about an awning in the slider but everywhere else they are far superior. I would not want any sliders anywhere, personally!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your dog really tall,or will there be something there he can sit on?
He is that tall. 100lb Husky mix. I'd just like for him to be able to stick his nose to the window for fresh air. He currently spends all his time when we are out on bike rides with his front half on the front seat and face at the window, so I was hoping to solve this. But I have my sink over the rear 1/3 of the door.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Is it more so he can see out while he waits, or for air, or for air while driving?.....

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Are you worried about him popping the screen out for any reason?
I assume you already have a ventilation solution.
What I'm getting at is, why not just get a solid window for him to keep watch out of and continue to use the current ventilation solution?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the Motion Windows web site
View attachment 62061
The design is different on an AMA. I know motion doesn't recommend this. A motion window has front----over rear. and AMA the entire sliding portion is in set into the larger surface so you have front-----slider----rear. My communication with AM Auto was over email, so I don't have anything on their site saying you can do it, but they assured me you can but "may experience additional wind noise"

As for the slider vs awning, I did consider doing a CRL awning type on the drivers side but hear the tint is different between AMA and them. My window, unlike most users windows is primarily used when I am out of the van on bike rides. If it's raining, I'm not riding so it's a non issue. I have deflectors on the front window that allow for about 3-4" roll down and also plan on adding a floor vent somewhere to address airflow in rainy conditions.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you worried about him popping the screen out for any reason?
I assume you already have a ventilation solution.
What I'm getting at is, why not just get a solid window for him to keep watch out of and continue to use the current ventilation solution?
It’s just for while he waits, we may also have it open for him for low speed around town driving. He likes to sniff the air. I think if I did a solid window (or even a window that only opens where he can’t reach), he’d still be up front in our seats instead of his bed which is OK other than the amount of hair he leaves behind.

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
Dog hair is really pet glitter. I’d put the backwards window in and deal with the consequences later. Whats a bit of wind noise if the dog is happy?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Reversing a Motion window creates a forward-facing scoop effect (wind and water). Not sure how AMA generates more wind noise but still keeps out the water. Analyze their design yourself and go with your gut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts