Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my van but am experiencing very poor am radio reception. sounds like it has no antenna in areas that I got clear reception in my old van and my two other cars. Some times its clear, others buzz over the sound, other times you cant even use it. Just depends. suspect a ground or antenna connection. dealer found no problem since it was driven by dealer who is near downtown and strong signals.. any experience or ideas? Now I wonder if the ground service bulletin is relevant. any suggestions appreciated

·
Registered
18 Posts
See if the ground to hood is missing. That is if there is one. Most vehicles I've had the hood had a ground strap to help with am static

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes I have the same problem. I can fist bump the headliner a few times and it will clear up so I know its a bad ground but I haven't looked into it. Im going to tell the dealer (again) next time im in. Last time it cleared up at the dealer and so I couldn't prove it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ground on the dealer until he agreed to replace the radio head, with -0- expectations, amazed it fixed it! I suspect the antenna lead was not seated on the original.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I found this old thread by searching for radio static. In my case, I only listen to FM, but I have the same static issue. Some days it is not a problem, but ~50% of the time I hear some static. It seems worse on cloudy days. It is definitely worse than my previous vehicle. I have wondered if it is a radio issue, an antenna issue, or a connection issue. Any new thoughts on this subject?

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Mine does the same thing. One day the local FM station comes in loud and clear other days I can hardly hear anything. I think the UC5 is just a poor excuse for a radio personally!

Anyone considering ordering a new promaster should get the radio delete option then they can easily put in a much better unit for less money and not have to worry about making the computer happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts