Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished my sub floor (1" XPS, 3/4" ply) last night and felt pretty good about it. I knew it wasn't perfect, but I'm far from a woodworker and I was okay with it being less than perfect. I just went out to use some "Great Stuff" in the cracks and I looked at my work again and was amazed at how much of a hack I am. Maybe it was a good night's sleep, but I feel like looking at it with a fresh pair of eyes gave me some extra critical eyes.

In some places (i.e. wheel well) I have a pretty good fit, but in some other places I think I'm off by 1-1.75". The XPS is glued to the floor, and the plywood is glued to the XPS. I sprayed the cracks with expanding foam, so everything is in. My question is: should I rip it out and try to go for a better fit? Or is this really not a deal breaker so long as I'm not planning on posting up on #vanlyfeinstagram fourteen times day? Posted some pictures of the worst fits below:

Near bulk head
Grey Wood Font Tints and shades Gas

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Wood

Section by passenger side wheel well. This is definitely the worst bit -- I think it's exaggerated by the fact that due to my (intentionally thick) insulation and plywood it sits above the factory floor.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,282 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Are you going to build out the walls? If so, most all of the gaps along the sides will be covered. For the front you can cover that with a threshold strip of some type. I actually added a wide section of aluminum "L" tracking there to both cover the edge and for a solid tie down point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you going to build out the walls? If so, most all of the gaps along the sides will be covered. For the front you can cover that with a threshold strip of some type. I actually added a wide section of aluminum "L" tracking there to both cover the edge and for a solid tie down point.
I am going to build out the walls. Aesthetically I'm not worried as the worst cuts will be under the sleeping platform in the "garage" -- I just hate to look back at my work and be disappointed in myself.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,350 Posts
I don't see why it would be a problem unless you (A) plan to screw something down right at the edge or (B) plan to put a big point load right at the edge.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,350 Posts
Also, if your anything like me, you'll get steadily better and more picky as time goes on until you spent forever getting things just right, so good to start sloppy where it doesn't matter with a lot of room to improve!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would have absolutely no concern about that. Looks fine. If any gaps remain visible after the build is done, you can just trim them out as if you meant to do it that way. Practically, I see no impact.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
686 Posts
I am going to build out the walls. Aesthetically I'm not worried as the worst cuts will be under the sleeping platform in the "garage" -- I just hate to look back at my work and be disappointed in myself.
If you are really worried about it, just cut some bits to size and epoxy them in. No worries except the seam. If that does not lessen the anxiety, seek counseling. Therapeutic hypnotherapy worked for me. There was a time when looking at poorly scribed tiles around a floor drain when using a public restroom, I could not poo or pee until I threw a piece of toilet paper to cover it up.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
686 Posts
The mark of a good woodworker is not perfection—it’s the ability to make mistakes look intentional. I have more than a few “design elements” in my van. :whistle: Carry on.
Many moons ago, I was building a home for my first ex-wife. There was a 1/2 bath just outside the family room(remember when they called it a family room?). I drilled a 4" hole thru the middle of the ceiling for a stack vent. Wrong spot. To save face, and as good gesture(?), I installed one of those disco lights and she loved it! So did all of her future boyfriends/husbands.

20 years ago that disco ball stopped working and she called me to see where she could get a replacement.

I just happened to be volunteering at a Habitat for Humanity Restore shop and found the very same disco light in the dump pile.

Turn lemons into lemonade.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The only way you'd be in trouble is if you had charged me for the installation on my own PM. ;) But then, that's just me.
As others have said, don't worry, be happy. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Many moons ago, I was building a home for my first ex-wife. There was a 1/2 bath just outside the family room(remember when they called it a family room?). I drilled a 4" hole thru the middle of the ceiling for a stack vent. Wrong spot. To save face, and as good gesture(?), I installed one of those disco lights and she loved it! So did all of her future boyfriends/husbands.

20 years ago that disco ball stopped working and she called me to see where she could get a replacement.

I just happened to be volunteering at a Habitat for Humanity Restore shop and found the very same disco light in the dump pile.

Turn lemons into lemonade.
Always wondered who put that up.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,699 Posts
There was a time or two that I wanted a bigger gap between the flooring and the front "cliff" as I call it. This was so I could cram in some more cabling as I wanted to run it down around the perimeter of the floor rather than up, over, and down to save on cable length.

Anyhow, my van is definitely not "instagrammable", but it gets me to where I want to go. And when I'm there, I get to stay as long as I want in comfort. To me, that's what's important. In other words, don't fuss over it! :D

Reactions: baitbegger44##

·
Banned
3 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
I finished my sub floor (1" XPS, 3/4" ply) last night and felt pretty good about it. I knew it wasn't perfect, but I'm far from a woodworker and I was okay with it being less than perfect. I just went out to use some "Great Stuff" in the cracks and I looked at my work again and was amazed at how much of a hack I am. Maybe it was a good night's sleep, but I feel like looking at it with a fresh pair of eyes gave me some extra critical eyes.

In some places (i.e. wheel well) I have a pretty good fit, but in some other places I think I'm off by 1-1.75". The XPS is glued to the floor, and the plywood is glued to the XPS. I sprayed the cracks with expanding foam, so everything is in. My question is: should I rip it out and try to go for a better fit? Or is this really not a deal breaker so long as I'm not planning on posting up on #vanlyfeinstagram fourteen times day? Posted some pictures of the worst fits below:

Near bulk head
View attachment 77856

View attachment 77857
Section by passenger side wheel well. This is definitely the worst bit -- I think it's exaggerated by the fact that due to my (intentionally thick) insulation and plywood it sits above the factory floor.
Everything will look good in the end. I would not rip out the plywood. However I would remove the expanding foam. the Van needs to breath.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts