Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I installed a bull bar / grille guard on my van. Instruction #1 "start installation under the passenger side of the front bumper. Remove the splash guard," Step #4" Repeat steps 1-3. " All was well til I got to the drivers side, no splash guard like on the other side. It appeared to leave a lot of parts and wires open to trash being thrown off the left front wheel. Is the left side covered and the right side left open? That does not make sense to me. I am thinking maybe a cover never made it on to the van during assembly. Does your van have covers on both sides? I chose this add-on because we have a lot of animal traffic on our roads, while not a total cure I hope it will minimize the effect of a hit. As far as the install itself, I learned with some help from members of the forum how to disassemble the front of the van. Some bolts were hard to get a wrench on, even with a 5 page instruction sheet, it was still vague. The splash guard had to be trimmed, it was better made than I expected. Here is the link to the guard I installed, overall satisfied with it. [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EY7T58M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]. I live several hundred miles from the nearest dealer and this groups collective knowledge and support has been invaluable to me. Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Today I installed a bull bar / grille guard on my van. Instruction #1 "start installation under the passenger side of the front bumper. Remove the splash guard," Step #4" Repeat steps 1-3. " All was well til I got to the drivers side, no splash guard like on the other side. It appeared to leave a lot of parts and wires open to trash being thrown off the left front wheel. Is the left side covered and the right side left open? That does not make sense to me. I am thinking maybe a cover never made it on to the van during assembly. Does your van have covers on both sides? I chose this add-on because we have a lot of animal traffic on our roads, while not a total cure I hope it will minimize the effect of a hit. As far as the install itself, I learned with some help from members of the forum how to disassemble the front of the van. Some bolts were hard to get a wrench on, even with a 5 page instruction sheet, it was still vague. The splash guard had to be trimmed, it was better made than I expected. Here is the link to the guard I installed, overall satisfied with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EY7T58M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I live several hundred miles from the nearest dealer and this groups collective knowledge and support has been invaluable to me. Thanks to all.
Good Question - I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago when I was installing my Ex-Guard Grill Guard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parts 1 and 2 are not on the van, Kilwerbzz can you post the rest of that info so I have a part # or name to work with. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
None of us have the drivers side or center splash guard do we? My ’15 diesel doesn’t. I have never seen a PM van with the driver’s side or center guard on. The passenger side guard looks different than that one too I believe but I am often wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW thanks Poppabear that is just what I was looking for. We may need to get a survey from the members to get Ram to fix this. I think they are really needed. Many people make more noise. The price on the parts was high, but that should be a standard part of the van not a extra.
Thanks again, BTY how is your van equipped ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
no guards for me

:( I just looked up the parts for my 1500 ProMaster Cargo Van with 118 wheel base and only the part for the passenger side splash shield is available for my van. So looks like I'm not supposed to have the other two. aaaarrrgggghhh! Oh well all the cars and pickups I had in my younger years didn't have them.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
WOW thanks Poppabear that is just what I was looking for. We may need to get a survey from the members to get Ram to fix this. I think they are really needed. Many people make more noise. The price on the parts was high, but that should be a standard part of the van not a extra.
Thanks again, BTY how is your van equipped ?
Right now, it is still a work in progress. My back will only allow me to do so much in a day before it rebels. Between that and the summer / fall heat in central Texas it has been slow going. Thus far on the outside I have installed the bumper guard up front, steps on the driver, passenger and sliding door. I’ve got a step for the rear doors that has yet to be installed. I just got done putting windows in the rear door and the sliding door is next. On the roof, I installed a MaxxAir fan all the way aft. Inside I removed the factory partition the day after I bought it. I’ve installed sound deadening and I am in work on insulation. I’ve yet to install cabinets, bed etc. as I keep changing my mind as to what I want.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I do not have the Left or Center guards either. Perhaps the design was "re-engineered" due to an over-heating issue????? I would be happy to have an answer from Ram. It appears that those guards would have a tiny influence on fuel economy as well as keeping dirt off the engine, etc.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Was thinkin' that perhaps the three shields were originally designed and manufactured for the Fiat engine or whatever engine was in the ProMaster before it's offering in the United States and now two of the shields won't fit with the current American engine installed. Or.....maybe not.:|

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got a used 2019 1500 LR 136 WB today. One of the first things I noticed when looking it over after I got it home was the missing left and center splash guards. So, 2019... still no left & center splash guards.

With so many people reporting the absence of these guards it leads me to believe this was a conscious decision. Perhaps the center guard was removed for airflow/cooling reasons. Not sure why the left guard was removed.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,462 Posts
My guess - only the passenger side fit for the gasser and they are to cheap to manufacture ones that fit the engine and trans.
My other guess - the engine or engine compartment can't handle the heat with the all the shields on.
As for not installing them on the diesels, my guess is - if their not carried for the gasser why bother carrying at all.
I was under there today and noticed they even saved money by not installing the retaining hardware for the shields.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
What are you all talking about? There is one guard made of plastic on the passenger side, diesel or gasser. NO OTHERS. They were not “removed” they were NEVER there. NO GUARDS center or left, no way no how, nada, none. LOL!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
What are you all talking about? There is one guard made of plastic on the passenger side, diesel or gasser. NO OTHERS. They were not “removed” they were NEVER there. NO GUARDS center or left, no way no how, nada, none. LOL!!!!
Based on the links provided above and THIS one it looks like they were designed and made available at some point. Maybe they were an option on new ones? If they are available, the prices appear to be ridiculous. I remember getting some plastic splash guards for an '02 Camry from RockAuto for less than $10 each.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Yes they exist but were never included in the NA market and were not an option when I ordered my 2015. They are in the parts fiche as you note. Good research. What good are they? Have people found they needed them? I could see a steel or aluminum crash guard but those plastic covers are a pain. In New England where we have MUD season they get ripped off by dragging in the mud when you get a tire in a deep rut. My son replaced a set about 4 times in his Mazda 3.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,462 Posts
Found squirrel food on my splash shield yesterday, looks like they had lunch in there :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here's a W A G , the wind coming off the fans swirls in X direction and shields in that direction would hinder the wind . My E-Line had 1/2 shield same way .
Phil , that was nice of the squirrels to leave you some lunch . If you got there earlier you could join them .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts