Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Community:
I've been down this rabbit hole of getting our PM for a couple months now.

I'm getting so exhausted from wheeling and dealin' with dealerships I'm ready to pull the trigger on one that I THINK is a decent option/price, so I'm curious for some feedback from the tenured PM experts here.

New 2018, 1500, 136" High Roof
"Customer preferred package 21A" which I think includes:
Speed control
Power/heated mirrors
Park assist
Wall paneling, lower/upper
lumbar seat adjust

Taxes, docs, fees all in: $34.5K (sub total was $31.4K) IF I finance with them, which I probably won't so that's an extra $1K on top.

Super simple build... no windows, which is the biggest bummer to me. But it has the basics and I'm chomping at the bit.
Decent enough price or should I be holding out? Just looking for experienced opinions to that question. I know it comes down to "how much I want the van" but I'm also a first time new auto buyer so hoping to glean wisdom where I can.
Thanks~!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Why not use the ram trucks website to search far and wide to find the exact van you want? Then negotiate with dealer via email or text. Let a few dealers fight for your business.

And by all means, if the dealer says $1000 more if you dont finance with them, make them rate match, or pay loan off after you buy.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dwight-

Thanks for the input.

It's actually getting harder to even locate a new 2018 136" HR (unless I'm doing something wrong), so it's getting harder to find competitive prices. And a new 2019 is out of my budget range. But I'll take your advice and cast a wider net to see if there's any more options out there.

By "pay loan off" do you mean refinance afterwards with a better rate? The dealers all like to say that the financing/APR is out of their hands, but I've read this is just hot air... I'm not sure.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It is so hard to search for these vans...and I am guessing other vehicles because dealers list their best price loaded with rebates and credits no one qualifies for. Almost easier to buy used since there are no rebates and credits.

What a pain.

If you know you want this van and are ready to buy sight unseen...be willing to travel. Call dealers and ask for their best price. Don't like it call the next. Someone will play ball. Do all the of the negotiation on the phone. Get a cheap one way rent car or plane ticket.

The price seems too high based on what I paid for my 2018 3500 extended.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wankel7-

Thank you for the insight. And yes, searching online for these vans is a complete nonstarter because all the prices you see are loaded with every incentive/rebate available, about 80% of which I won't be eligible for.

I'll start casting that wider net.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Seems pricey to me, but I guess that is brand new.
Since it is the end of 2018 you should be able to find a bunch of 2018 for cheaper.

Does it have to be new?

I got my 2017 in November of 2017 with 20k on it for about $22k, before taxes and such. It is straight up basic, but rear windows.

Came with a certified preowned warranty that is better than the original.

For me 20k miles is worth $10k any day.

I did have to fly to NC to get it, but that was because dealers in Chicago are stupid.

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
The dealers all like to say that the financing/APR is out of their hands, but I've read this is just hot air... I'm not sure.
This is how it works...

The salesman has no control over rate, so that’s the truth.

After you come to a price and agree to buy, you move to the finance guy.

When in the room with the finance guy, there you negotiate rate. They can match any rate you can get elsewhere. The key is, any rate you can honestly get elsewhere. Meaning a rate you are eligible for with your current credit score.

So you have to arrive prepared. For me, I get actual rate approval from my credit union, for the amount and number of months I plan to finance.

Now with my real rate in hand, I’m prepared to negotiate honestly with finance guy. He knows immediately if you’re telling the truth, because he just ran your credit.

On more than one occasion, the dealers finance guy had to check with a few banks via phone, or the web to find someone with a rate good enough to match my credit union. They always do match it.

Of course you can always walk out and call off the purchase from that room. I’ve never had to.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thank you all for the insight!

I've been searching nationally and I have already had better results finding what I want. Price-wise the new 2018 models I'm looking at are still coming in around $30k.

Right now I have my eye on a 136" HR 1500 silver with rear windows, $33.5k total (that's including taxes, registration, fees etc)
It's not much more of a savings but it has the windows and it's not white! It's about 300 mi away and the dealer claims they will ship it for free... thoughts?

I should probably also mention that I'm in GA and the registration is very expensive for a new vehicle ($2,600 for this new PM).

yourrealdad: in short, yes I'd prefer new since I like the factory rear-view camera that became stock in 2018, and the savings on used 2018s are much less of a savings margin. I'd be wise to consider used but that's the one thing I'm stubborn on.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Delivered to you is nice, but I’d want confirmation it has nearly no miles on it and its never been used to haul someone’s junk.

When I was shopping, two different dealers I visited with the exact van I wanted, pulled my van around front for my test drive, only to discover it was less than perfect because the employees had been using it to haul crap. One actually had some guys furniture still in it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I paid $1000 less than that, out the door (incl CA tax and weight fees), for my 2018 136 1500 just a few weeks ago with rear and sider windows, interior convenience, backup sensors, and nav. (and wide mirrors, which I didn’t want, but something had to give)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I paid $1000 less than that, out the door (incl CA tax and weight fees), for my 2018 136 1500 just a few weeks ago with rear and sider windows, interior convenience, backup sensors, and nav. (and wide mirrors, which I didn’t want, but something had to give)
Dang, That's good to know.
You mind sharing what dealer?

This one doesn't have the passenger window, interior convenience, backup sensors, or wide mirrors. That said, those weren't on my list. But like yours, it has some stuff I didn't necessarily want to pay for; and I think that may be the price difference? i.e. premium appearance group, aluminum wheels, 5-inch display/navigation, adjustable lumbar seat, and cargo partition.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Delivered to you is nice, but I’d want confirmation it has nearly no miles on it and its never been used to haul someone’s junk.

When I was shopping, two different dealers I visited with the exact van I wanted, pulled my van around front for my test drive, only to discover it was less than perfect because the employees had been using it to haul crap. One actually had some guys furniture still in it!
Okay that's horrifying.
This one has 13mi on it in the picture... I'll make sure to verify that before committing to anything.

·
Registered
460 Posts
seems a bit high to me. I didn't read all the posts but don't be afraid to travel and if taking their financing save you an extra grand do it than after 2 months refinance with your bank. I did this with a truck back in 04 and as long as it is less than 6 months old my credit union allowed me to refinance with the new car rate. I actually did this at the suggestion of the loan guy at the dealer and a quick call to my credit union confirmed they would give me the new car rate if I did it within 6 months. good luck

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
seems a bit high to me. I didn't read all the posts but don't be afraid to travel and if taking their financing save you an extra grand do it than after 2 months refinance with your bank. I did this with a truck back in 04 and as long as it is less than 6 months old my credit union allowed me to refinance with the new car rate. I actually did this at the suggestion of the loan guy at the dealer and a quick call to my credit union confirmed they would give me the new car rate if I did it within 6 months. good luck
Charger, thanks for the input.
The only updates to the saga is that I've been looking nationwide and now I've found one for 33.5k (everything out the door) and better options + not white.
I'm definitely considering the refinance option since my credit union won't finance a vehicle from out of state.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dallas Dodge

I bought mine from Dallas Dodge in Dallas,Tx last year. I checked their website and they have a pretty extensive selection. If they have one that checks your boxes. Call and ask for “Q”. He is the Fleet vehicle sales manager. He was easy to deal with and gave me a fantastic price on mine. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought mine from Dallas Dodge in Dallas,Tx last year. I checked their website and they have a pretty extensive selection. If they have one that checks your boxes. Call and ask for “Q”. He is the Fleet vehicle sales manager. He was easy to deal with and gave me a fantastic price on mine. Good luck!
Thanks, Gerald. I've been searching wide and I might be closing on a new 2018 this week. Pretty excited to end the search.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After months of research and searching, I just closed the deal on my PM.
Very excited, very happy. Build thread will begin in towards the end of December.

Thank you all for the input.
Ultimately, knowing exactly what I wanted (and what I didn't want) + searching nationally resulted in the prize find.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts