Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to getting a Promaster (gasoline version), however, I am a bit uneasy and worried though about some of the problems some folks seem to be having with them.

Seems there are quite a few accounts of breakdowns and having to leave them at dealers for extended times. For 30k I want reliability; want to go on an extended trip right out of the gate... am I worrying about nothing?

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
I am close to getting a Promaster (gasoline version), however, I am a bit uneasy and worried though about some of the problems some folks seem to be having with them.

Seems there are quite a few accounts of breakdowns and having to leave them at dealers for extended times. For 30k I want reliability; want to go on an extended trip right out of the gate... am I worrying about nothing?
Yes you are. Very few "breakdowns" with the Promaster. Especially the gas Promaster. Still zero issues with my 2014 gas Promaster.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yes you are. Very few "breakdowns" with the Promaster. Especially the gas Promaster. Still zero issues with my 2014 gas Promaster.
Same with my 2014 gasser. Never broke down on me. Never been in the shop for repairs. Only been back to the dealer for recalls and TSB. Although I've only have 10,000 miles on mine, it has been trouble free

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
And zero issues with mine. I think that if I DID have a problem, I would be writing all about it on an online forum for solace and information. But I don't.

Mine has travelled all over the US and Canada without a single problem.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,812 Posts
My gasser just turned 10,000, no problem.

Remember, you don't hear from the vast majority who have no problems to report. When I bought my Tundra, I frequented the Tundra forum for a while. I'd guess I saw as many complaints there as I do here, and they have a well-deserved reputation for reliability. Mine is about to turn 100,000 trouble-free.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine went in the shop to clear some CEL codes that the originating dealer didn't do, under 1000 miles. Mine has an irritating vibration sound when accelerating located under the drivers side mat. They checked around and said they didn't see anything and wasn't anything that seemed like they were interested in spending time on. So far so good but don't have any real mileage on it yet.

Reactions: myke

·
Registered
9 Posts
12,465 miles with zero issues. Drove it off the lot new and I parked it for a few days and packed. Then drove from NY to AZ. Then from AZ to NY, when I got home I had to change the oil and wash it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine went in the shop to clear some CEL codes that the originating dealer didn't do, under 1000 miles. Mine has an irritating vibration sound when accelerating located under the drivers side mat. They checked around and said they didn't see anything and wasn't anything that seemed like they were interested in spending time on. So far so good but don't have any real mileage on it yet.
Add to this the famous break squeal. Hoping it goes away with a pad change.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
My gasser has 47 km (29k miles) and I have a few issues, but I would blame it on its early build (Dec 2013).

The issues:

1) Slow radiator leak, got it changed under warranty this morning.

2) The famous squealing brakes. Dealer checked yesterday to see if a service bulletin was issued by FCA, he told me there was none so far

3) Sliding door doesn't open from the outside when hot outside. (can't duplicate the problem right now in Montreal)

4) a lot of recalls (4?), all minor things, but it was still annoying.

Would I buy it if I had to do it again? Probably, because it has its strong points:

1) Best Cargo space/overall dimensions ratio in the industry

2) Comfortable. I have a back problem and I am amazed that I can drive from the Atlantic to the Pacific in 5 days without being in pain.

3) Easy to drive. My PM has a better turning radius than my mini-van (Chevrolet Uplander)!

·
Registered
184 Posts

Myke, you could always go purchase one of the other two Rust Buckets! Go check out there forums, you will be amazed!
Luv my diesel PM!;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW, our rear brakes were noisy for the first 2000 miles, then silence...
Same here.. My 2015 PM 3500 EXT Diesel built in Dec 2014 has just over 2500 miles (purchased 3.5 weeks ago Sept 13th).. Brakes were noisy between 1000-2000 miles but now so far last few hundred miles they are 99% quiet. I'm happy I got the "noisy" brakes as I think they are a harder compound and I expect them to last well over 150,000 miles.. I'm easy on brakes (last time I had my brakes replaced on my own car was in 1998 on my purchased new 1995 Honda Civic at 70,000 miles) I was 18 years old at the time and drove more aggressively then I do now).. Sense then I have had about 8-9 New cars and 1-2 used cars each putting 40,000-145,000 on each of them and Never had to replace brakes.. and actually the 145,000 mile vehicle was my purchased new 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel lifted with 35 inch mud terrain tires. Sold it in 2010 and brakes were still at 40-50% life left on them!

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
My June of 2015 1500 has never squealed. I get lots of brake dust on the wheels so it may have a softer pad and less life that is now being used. I really don't care as I will change them out myself when needed and I usually don't have the rotors turned after the first pad replacement. I have seen a post on a TSB that says the rotor replacement is for before 5/2015 so new buyers need not stress about this issue, it should be fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts