Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Ram Promaster 3500 (Travato)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the Van basically stall at idle while in the parking lot. Had to be towed to Ram and they diagnosed a failed Alternator. My van has a second generator alternator for the Volta Pure 3. I only had 3500 miles on it when it seized up. I found it strange that a brand new alternator would seize. The Ram alternator was the one that seized. Now after the repair, I am getting a very loud squealing sound when it cold and seems to go away at highway speeds. Only occurs when the Volta alternator is charging the system. When the Volta is off, no squeal. I assume there is an auto tensioner on the system and the belt should fine as it's brand new. Could a bad tensioner have caused too much tension on the original alternator and be the culprit for the squeal? Could the belt be too loose and when the 2nd alternator kicks in it's simply slipping? How could it be too loose assuming it has a tensioner. I do hear a chirping sound occasionally when it's warm, but the screech is gone after driving a while. Any suggestions or thoughts? It's still under warranty, but time is closing in. Thanks! UPDATE: Here is the sound if you turn up the volume. New video by Deas Nealy

·
Registered
5 Posts
There may have been a problem that damaged your first alternator, but was not fixed when replacing your broken alternator.

Can you get a second opinion from another mechanic?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There may have been a problem that damaged your first alternator, but was not fixed when replacing your broken alternator.

Can you get a second opinion from another mechanic?
Going back on Monday and will report back. I believe a different tech will be working on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the Volta. The Volta belt definitely needs to be tensioned properly. I assume the ram belt needs to be tensioned correctly too.

·
Registered
2021 Ram Promaster 2500 159"
54 Posts
Inspect all your belts and pulleys for wear and look for signs of slipping.

When one bearing seizes in the system, it immediately introduces an incredible amount of friction heat that is transferred to all the other components running on your belts. The belt is going to whine as it forces its way past the component with the bad bearing, until you introduce enough hp to force it into a belt's version of brake fade. Improper tension or pulley misalignment can cause premature bearing failure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Volta. The Volta belt definitely needs to be tensioned properly. I assume the ram belt needs to be tensioned correctly too.
They are one in the same on the Travato. Not a separate belt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inspect all your belts and pulleys for wear and look for signs of slipping.

When one bearing seizes in the system, it immediately introduces an incredible amount of friction heat that is transferred to all the other components running on your belts. The belt is going to whine as it forces its way past the component with the bad bearing, until you introduce enough hp to force it into a belt's version of brake fade. Improper tension or pulley misalignment can cause premature bearing failure.
Thanks. I am hoping it has not damaged the alternator bearings. It's a very expensive part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts