Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Purchased a new 2014 Promaster and proceeded to buy all the badges including grill to male it look like a Ducato, took 30 minutes off Ebay UK.

Why is the brand not selling these vans as Fiats on the Fiat lot?

Thank you,

Tyler

·
Registered
887 Posts

Tyler
My guess, marketing people know Ram is a very popular truck brand, and well respected in the US. They will sell more vans piggy-backing off the Ram reputation.

In fact, Ram sells more trucks than all other Chrysler/Fiat models combined in the US.

Just as the F-150 is the king of Ford's product line, the Ram is the king of Chrysler/Fiat's product line.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Fiat is struggling big time in the US (They stopped production on the 500L due to sluggish sales). Most Americans think Fiat is merely a Mini Cooper or Smart car competitor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The NA 500L sales were a bit slow, but the main reason they stopped production was a safety recall for an air bag. Worldwide sales for the 500L are OK, from what I have read.

(I have one, so I might have a slight bias ;-)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Since the PM is almost solely a commercial vehicle, it makes the most sense to put it at Ram commercial dealers. But the idea of a bunch of sweaty van drivers interacting with the hipster urbanites at the Fiat dealerships is kind of fun to think about. Throw in the Maserati and Alfa people that will someday have to frequent these dealerships, and you've the brewings of one **** of an interesting singles dance!

Also, I suspect the FCA knows that many people, particularly commercial drivers, still hold a negative opinion of Fiat leftover from the 70s. Insert "fix it again, Tony" joke here.

Reactions: gggGary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I love the idea of rebadging it with FIAT badges. How was the removal and install process? What did you use to remove the old badges and what did you use to install the new ones? Can you post a few pics? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello,

Purchased a new 2014 Promaster and proceeded to buy all the badges including grill to male it look like a Ducato, took 30 minutes off Ebay UK.

Thank you,

Tyler
My wife is having issues driving around in a Dodge Ram van, I showed her the picture of the same van with fiat badging and she said "that's the van I should have bought". I'd be interested in the how hard it was to get them switched out. I'd also need to find one of the thin bar aluminum grilles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Tyler, great idea! Any link or other info needed for the EBay UK site for the Fiat badging? My main thing is the grill! Any trouble finding it? Do u have a pix?

·
Registered
171 Posts
In Europe Fiat Ducato is sold as Fiat Professional that has an indipendent dealers network.
Larger dealer may have Fiat and Fiat Professional, but as standard, they should have separate showrooms.

Actually Fiat Professional has four main commercial models: Fiorino, Doblò, Scudo and Ducato. In some markets there is also the small pickup Strada and the "van" versions of some passengers cars like Panda van, Punto van, 500L Pro.

Here are the main models (the Scudo, the one near the Ducato / Promaster, will be discontinued in few years)

Than there are the variants for each model, that are larger than the ones offered in NAFTA market, for example for the Doblò / Promaster City there are (from left in the photo
Long and short wheelbase version of Cargo, that high roof version, Work-up (flatbed), Combi +, not in the photo, the chassis version.

Most have diesel engine, but there are some versions (not Ducato or Scudo) with petrol engine and also CNG versions (for the promaster is used the same F1C 3 liter engine, used in Ram Promaster diesel, converted to CNG). In advertisement usually they show CNG powered vehicles in light blue color.

(the first from left is a Panda van, the second is a Punto van, that are more spartan versions of the passenger cars).

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Oh how did you know? It is a Ducato! I got the wheel badges from China via ebay... 60 mm fit like origional, the Ducatto from a seller in CA and the Fiat flat aluminum circles from a seller in Florida all ebay all cheap. Total was about $55 and getting the old ones off is a hot day in the sun and some hardwood wedges slid in behind and CAREFULLY pry them off. Clean up with Prep sol or whatever solvent you have. My wife likes the Promaster (ok for now but....) stickers and I will leave the 1500 on too.

Attachments

Reactions: Rich Maund

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I for one never looked for a Ducato Grill. Perhaps I would spring for one if it fell in my lap but not at the prices I am seeing. With the Ram gone (just held on by 2 sided tape) and a Fiat emblem replacing it I am happy for now. BTW a nicer 3D Fiat emblem would fit with just a tiny bit of trimming the plastic of the old grill, and they are available on eBay for $30 or so. Same one that fits the 500 hood and is 95mm. The best find was the wheel emblems as the old ones pop out and these pop right in, 60mm!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Do you know if the hubcaps have a removable wheel emblem? And if so, are they 60mm?

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
It is 60. I have done them on the Aluminum wheels twice. The first ones lasted about 1 1/2 years and faded. Then I got these and they seem better:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P5YQI98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Well worth the slightly higher price over the crappy ones I got first from eBay.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Hmm, I don't think the caps on the promaster that has steel wheels with hubcaps are removable. Might have to buy OEM hubcaps from the ducato if I want them.

·
Super Moderator
9,029 Posts
They don’t. I used a hole saw on my plastic hub caps and then put some silicone around the inside to hold them in. If you don’t get the metal ones save your $$$$ my plastic ones look like sheeet after a short time ;)

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Got these bad boys in today. $86 shipped from across the pond.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts