·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
There is a video on the unit.
He mentions if they sell the heat exchanger separately people with the 5kw heater might be able to do a direct swap.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Parking heater working at -34° f, combustion intake starts to ice up.
Not mine, just some fyi for those that camp in extremely cold temperatures.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I replaced my 10 liter parking heater fuel tank that I had temporarily mounted on the rear door last winter with a 5.5 liter one under the hood (thanks for the tip Phil) today. I still have to reroute the fuel line but I believe it will work out just fine.
View attachment 58650
KOV, did you fabricate this mount? Are you liking this setup? Any advice for those doing the same?

·
Super Moderator
9,480 Posts
I did fabricate it but never installed it as my new van arrived earlier than expected

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
KOV, did you fabricate this mount? Are you liking this setup? Any advice for those doing the same?
I am in the process of doing the same thing -- mounting a 5 ltr tank on top of the fuse box under the hood. Before I fabricate anything, I first plan on trying heavy-duty zip-ties to secure the tank to that corner-brace at the back corner of the hood, and elsewhere. The front of the tank also needs to be angled over toward the passenger side, as shown in KOV's post, to keep it clear of the hood hinge arm as the hood closes. Not all 5 ltr tanks are the same shape. Some will fit, others may not. Luckily, the one I got fits perfectly. Photos eventually ...

·
Registered
784 Posts
The controller I have says it automatically does elevation up to 17k ft. It currently shows the elevation where I'm at. I'm not sure how to verify the function other than disassembling it and checking the combustion chamber for soot.

This is the type I have, they use the term "plateau".
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V...31-4ba4-a817-f3d30583a830&transAbTest=ae803_4

If the altitude part doesn't work I have a work around that should work.
@phil The link to the heater you bought, the one with the elevation sensor does not seem to work anymore. THe link goes to a page with dozens of products. Do you have a model number or link to the heater you purchased ir another link with at least a picture of that controller which adjusts the fuel mexture based on elevation ? Also, any more info on operating it at higher elevations or other aspects from the heater if youve had some time to test it out?

Thanks!!

The heaters seem especially cheap fight now, no idea why but it appears that the prices are almost 25% less then they were a year or so ago.

·
Super Moderator
9,480 Posts
Great deal @ $136! Even comes with the newer style controller & remote.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
@phil The link to the heater you bought, the one with the elevation sensor does not seem to work anymore. THe link goes to a page with dozens of products. Do you have a model number or link to the heater you purchased ir another link with at least a picture of that controller which adjusts the fuel mexture based on elevation ? Also, any more info on operating it at higher elevations or other aspects from the heater if youve had some time to test it out?

Thanks!!

The heaters seem especially cheap fight now, no idea why but it appears that the prices are almost 25% less then they were a year or so ago.
I assume the links die off when the stock runs out.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The blue LED controllers on Chinese diesel units have altitude adjustment. Others might, too, but I'm sure the blue ones are supposed to. But we haven't tested ours yet at high elevation.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
349 Posts
The blue LED controllers on Chinese diesel units have altitude adjustment. Others might, too, but I'm sure the blue ones are supposed to. But we haven't tested ours yet at high elevation.
I wonder if this controller is compatible with the Afterburner controller? The ultimate controller for cheap chinese heaters.

Maybe you could test with a weather balloon to get it to altitude and report back to us. Tie the balloons to a lawn chair and suspend the heater from the chair? Get it to 8K, will ya?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Weather balloon, eh? :ROFLMAO: There are easier ways to get high.
Don't know much about the Afterburner. It looks like a OEM controller replacement. The description doesn't mention altitude adjustment. Maybe that's because Australia's tallest mountain is only 7200 ft.

·
Registered
186 Posts
@phil by raising the heater with a wooden spacer, were you able to avoid re-routing the wire bundle that runs under the passenger seat?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #158 (Edited)
@Vandit
IIRC I didn't have to do anything to the bundle. By chance I got lucky with the position, I didn't do a good job making sure the heater position would clear the rear seat base, but I got lucky and anything worked out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Would it be advisable to install a double-pole switch in the 12v feed to the heater in order to select chassis power while driving and house power while parked?

If so, what’s the easiest way to grab power off the upfitter connection? I’ve seen it here before but can’t find it now.

Thanks.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts