Ram Promaster Forum banner

101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,083 Posts
The gas Webasto was a no-brainer for our gas PM. For reference, full-bore, it uses about a gallon of gas in 10 hours. We’d much rather fill up a few miles sooner than go to a second (nasty stinky) pump. Any additional safety risk is not on our radar. Gas burns cleaner than diesel. Plus, we didn’t need to make space for a second tank.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Has anybody tried one of these?
It is basically a 5KW unit with fuel tank all integrated 16x16x6 inches
Old Country Woodworks
Check this one out.
[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/Keruite-Control-Thermostat-Housing-Parking/dp/B07KBG67QK/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1550435463&sr=8-16&keywords=diesel+heaters[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
9,477 Posts
My diesel parking heater uses about 1.5 liters all night long (about 12 hrs). I wouldn’t even consider a gas one with all the problems and expense they seem to have. I ran min a few nights ago for over 12 hours in Gallup, NM (elevation was 7880’) with no problems. $160 inc 10 liter fuel tank - no brainer and safer. I screwed the tank on my back door untill I can refine it ;) and it’s simple to fill, no smell, best thing I’ve bought in years (other than my Promaster)!

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
Oh no, we are now going to have another diesel vs. gas thread. I thought we were over that a few years back when FCA stopped diesel PM production! Odd how KOV jumped over to the diesel side (sometimes called the dark side.... remember we have cookies). From now on, MsNomer needs to identify her van as gas-gas, KOV’s gas-diesel, and mine will (of course) be diesel-diesel, and we know there are gas-propane (not to be confused with gas-gas) and diesel-propane. Are there any diesel-gas or diesel-gas-propane, or gas-diesel-propane?
My head hurts just thinking of it.

Reactions: SteveSS

·
Registered
44 Posts
We stayed in Cloudland Canyon park in GA over the weekend, and the little diesel heater made things very nice at 18 Celcius. I knew it had about 2 liter of fuel remaining when we arrived, so was curious what would happen when it would run out of fuel. At around 2 AM on day 2, error code 8 was the result. Though I could have parked at a downslope, and maybe gotten another 2-3 hours. Next time I will come prepared because it really beats the spare propane Mr. Buddy one in almost every way. Most notably on helping keep the humidity down -- because it rained for about 2/3rd of the entire trip.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The gas Webasto was a no-brainer for our gas PM. For reference, full-bore, it uses about a gallon of gas in 10 hours. We’d much rather fill up a few miles sooner than go to a second (nasty stinky) pump. Any additional safety risk is not on our radar. Gas burns cleaner than diesel. Plus, we didn’t need to make space for a second tank.
Really interested in the gasoline heater.
Did you do a thread on the install?

·
Super Moderator
9,477 Posts
Really interested in the gasoline heater.
Did you do a thread on the install?
Do yourself a favor and get it out of your mind! Go with a cheapy Chinese diesel heater and never look back. The only conceivable down is you do need to add a dedicated diesel fuel tank which (for anyone with a bit of imagination) is no big deal. The benefits of the diesel heater over the gas are a no brainer. Read all the threads here on them both.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't installed one yet so I may feel differently, but for now I agree with your reasoning. Diesel fumes make me feel very sick so if I had to go outside when it is running and got a whiff of it I'd pay the price so despite the cost I'd rather go gas.

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
One small disappointment in my diesel van is it produces no discernible diesel perfume- none. Just a slight whiff of ammonia, such is the emission control of a modern diesel. Thankfully I can crank up my Eberspacher heater and relive the olfactory splendor of our tractor exhaust from back in the day

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
KOV and I had to find a way to get his heater to run on high with out throwing a code for over-heat the (previously reported) solution was to free up the air pushed through the heater and into the van. In preparation for that repair I ordered 2 tools to remove the glow plug but China shipping took too long so we had to ruin his Great Neck 12mm deep socket from his $3.99 set by cutting a slot in it. For those of you with espar-like heaters I have an extra tool to sell. If you want it for $7 PM me and I will send it along pp. Or perhaps KOV will publish a picture of the final result of the socket mod we did. You won’t get the glow plug out w/o a special tool.
If you plan ahead you might order one to put in your toolkit as mine won’t save you any money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glow-Pin-G...=item1cc327066b:g:nHAAAOSw5tNcNDky:rk:11:pf:0

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Just adding my two cents. I bought Steve's backroader with a webasto dual top diesel unit. We use kerosene, or I should stay Steve used kerosene because we've owned the van for a year and a half and we have a dedicated 5 gallon diesel tank in the van and never needed to refill. We bought the van and it had a little more than half a tank and as of today it's a little under half a tank an we have used the heater a lot. If the chinese unit is anything like the dual top, you won't need much fuel and it's easier to carry around kerosene.

101 - 120 of 163 Posts