Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd post my experience with Aliexpress and Paypal, both new to me.

I had low expectations and figured if the heater worked that be a bonus.

I know about the potential for QA problems and shipping time. Kept it cheap and order 2kw heater and some pieces from 2 different sellers. 1st order arrived in a shipping bag in good shape, no drama, 20 days. 2nd order, heater, had wrong tracking info, seller got me the correct tracking info, 26 days, response from seller was timely.

Problems, heater remote control and a heater duct t-fitting were missing, clip on the cover was snapped off and the fan had the rubbing problem, 5 mins with a sharp knife solved that issue. Seller sent me a video on how to correct the fan rubbing problem (the fan is pressed on to far, the fix is hold the fan and tap on the shaft with a punch & hammer).

Seller refunded some money back to paypal for my troubles.

The heater works just fine, took me like 5 mins to set it up in the garage, I ran it for several hours adjusting the temp along the way.

Overall, I'm happy, my wallet is happy, and that's what matters to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,414 Posts
The first one I got had the fan problem and they ended up offering a $48 refund but I didn’t want to fool with it. The fan is too flimsy and it was warped so I just sent it back for a full refund. The second one I got came from the same vendor Rich bough his from on eBay and it came in 4 or 5 days from NJ. It works fine, no remote but I didn’t want one as it’s just another thing to go wrong. My only real complaint is a slight plasticy smell that I think comes from the sheathing on the output duct. I’ve been running it full force for 5 hours or so for the past 3 days and the smell seems to be getting better. I would have preferred a metallic duct with no plastic covering and if the smell keeps up I will replace it with something else. RD left an extra piece he had and it looks to be better quality so I may just try that first. All in all a great deal for way under $200!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Where to put the heater? I want the airflow to go down the center line towards the rear doors.
I know that every 90° fitting is a loss in airflow.

I originally wanted it inside the insulated area, however the vapor canister/hoses underneath are in the way and the heater will need a 90° fitting.

This spot is on youtube, perfect spot, there is a gap between the heat shield and frame for the pipes, but it's to far from the center line and it would requires 2 x 90°s.

This spot is about 4"-5" above the heat shield and requires a 90°.

This spot is also above the heat shield and it's as close to the center line as I can get. So this is it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Glad to see you guys getting this stuff done. Not having a happy new year here. Lost my best friend of over 30 years. He died new years eve and the memorial was this afternoon. The tributes from his daughters had me in tears. The past week has just been all about thinking about him and helping his family thru it all. I'm sure many of you guys can relate. Your late 50s is a dangerous time to be a guy. In the past few years I've lost both my best friends from high school and now my best friend from adulthood. Like his wife said, he had a great life. It just wasn't long enough. And thanks to the government shut down his death benefit to his wife will be delayed for many months. He worked at a government shipyard. I guess he became an unintended consequence.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The hole. Not pretty, but it's done.

Layout,

Done, the cutout is just suspended above the hole.

Depth to the front of the heat shield, 3.5".

Depth to the rear of the heat shield, 4.25".

Distance from the gas tank to the center line of the heater hole would be approx 4.5", so the exhaust pipe would be 4" from the gas tank.

Looking up at the hole, gas tank to the left, windshield glare is coming through the hole.

Exhaust heat - radiant heat.
I've run the heater on high for several hours and radiant heat from the exhaust pipe is not a concern, if flesh touches the pipe it will burn you, if the exhaust pipe is off you can keep your hand under the exhaust outlet (4"-5" away) and the heater fuel line is 1" away. So I don't see any issues.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Rich, we hear you and condolences for your losses. Mortality sets in early in your 60’s. Our thoughts are with you and it will be good to hear you are back making progress.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Using the Webasto install manual as a reference, diesel heater warm air outlet can be pointed from 0° to 90°.

I cobbled together a spacer to get me from a negative angle to 0°, plus the spacer gives me height to get over the lower rear bar on the seat base.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks For Sharing

Great work!
Interested in how you are proceeding, specifically supplying the fuel and storing fuel.
$200.00? Good deal.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great work!
Interested in how you are proceeding, specifically supplying the fuel and storing fuel.
$200.00? Good deal.
The heater with the refunds got me down to $135.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is fuel pump location for now.

The front of the fuel tank has 4 nuts that hold the heat shield on (the split loom is in the way), I'm going to use the top 2 studs.

Initially I was going to use a coupling nut + stud on one of the heat shield studs for a mounting point, it may work, but I was concerned about the pump bouncing up & down over time and snapping the OEM stud off. So I cobbled this together from scrap.

Mounted, it's in between the battery box and fuel tank, at the top of the fuel tank straps there are some handy holes for cable ties.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
----word of caution----

If you're going to install the heater under the seat and trying to get it as close the the rear of the seat base as possible, make sure you can get the seat base back on(assuming you removed the seat base for the install).

I had approximately 1/8"-1/4" to spare, to close comfort IMO.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Time

The heater with the refunds got me down to $135.
Your labor is a big part of this installation.
Still, have seen $1,000+ units commercially installed that took 8-12 hours install time on youboob.
Point being, your time and skill have great value even though it does not count, but it still does count, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Phil, thanks for documenting this. I'm currently wiring for a future install and wondering what to run for the thermostat/control unit. I can't find a wiring diagram for the simplest Webasto-type controller. I've got 12ga run to power the heater itself and 4-wire 16ga from the heater to the controller. Will that do it, or will it need it's own power feed, too?

·
Super Moderator
9,414 Posts
My cheapy Hester came with all the wiring I needed to do everything. I just ran a piece of #12 stranded from the fuse box to the unit (I cut off the fused pigtail that came with the wire harness).

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve,

My LCD thermostat/controller has 3 wires could be 16 ga, the rotary type controller also has 3 wires.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Intake and exhaust,

Intake, top of picture is fwd.

Exhaust comes out on the passenger side of the heat shield,

Didn't want to cut any exhaust pipe yet, might need to point the end of the pipe down.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts