Ram Promaster Forum banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Love the lights. And reflection in the wing of your plane. Have you been out to visit the WAAAM during the Fly-in?

All the best,
Hein

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Love the lights. And reflection in the wing of your plane. Have you been out to visit the WAAAM during the Fly-in?

All the best,
Hein

Yes I’ve flown in a few times to the museum. Very nice collection. I also visited the Fly-In once. So many planes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
How did the field test go on your bug screens? Thanks for posting!

It worked fantastic! We camped last weekend in the mountains and the mosquitoes came out for dinner each day. We had the screen up and left the door open all day. So easy to enter exit with the center magnets. My wife liked how it worked. No issues closing the door with it up. All in all a good solution for $30

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the review on the bug screen. I just ordered two screens. Figured I would go ahead and do the back door as well.

Can you please help me with the details on the armrest you installed? I ordered the same one as you from ebay. It is identical to the drivers side. What steps did you take? Did you remove the seat cover or just cut in the side of the seat back? Did you happen to take any pictures of the strap or how it was mounted? Any additional info would be appreciated. Thank you!

I have enjoyed your build thread. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Can you please help me with the details on the armrest you installed? I ordered the same one as you from ebay. It is identical to the drivers side. What steps did you take? Did you remove the seat cover or just cut in the side of the seat back? Did you happen to take any pictures of the strap or how it was mounted?
You could make the bracket out of a single shape of 1/8" steel like the drivers side, but since I had some 1/8" strap I used 2 parts. In the pictures you can see how they are secured to the seat frame in the threaded holes. I did all of this with the seat cover on just unzipped from the side. I punched 2 holes in the cover where the bolts go through the new arm and into the new brackets.

The way I figured out where to place it was to remove the Drivers side and make a template of the mounting part they have welded to the seat frame. Then I extended it at the back a bit so I could bolt it to the back of the frame. I made a cardboard template, then made a thin aluminum part to test out the angles and mounting point. Then used that as a template to cut out the steel straps. I drilled and tapped the seat frame for the bolts and used a thin nut on the back side of the new brackets (as seen in the pictures below) to secure the arm to the bracket.

Sorry it's not quite as easy as just bolting on the arm-rest, but this is what has to be done if your seat had no provisions for the arm-rest to be installed!

Here are a few more pictures

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Awning

I really like it. Completely up and out of the way, super easy to deploy and easy to mount to the roof mounts. I have the center beam to stabilize the top but have not yet used it. Maybe when the wind blows more. It's so quick to deploy and crank back up we find we are using it on every trip at some point.
Im looking into the same one, but maybe electric. Did you consider an other manufacturers?

I have also thought of renting a hangar somewhere in NW Washington from time to time on a monthly deal (I live in Victoria). Thought of Anacortes, but I am unfamiliar in renting in WA. Any suggestions?

You do nice work akarmy ( van & plane ). Got the RV Grin x 2 :D:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Did you consider an other manufacturers?

I have also thought of renting a hangar somewhere in NW Washington from time to time on a monthly deal (I live in Victoria). Thought of Anacortes, but I am unfamiliar in renting in WA. Any suggestions?
I only briefly looked at some of the other awnings, but I wanted something integrated and liked the mounting brackets and low profile of the fiama. Along with the ability to deploy it from the ground as it's quite a ways up to the high-top.

As for Hangars in the Seattle area, ya that's tough. You would just have to look at any of the airports you think might be reasonable to get to and then see what they have for waiting lists etc. The market is very tight these days around here.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Thanks

I only briefly looked at some of the other awnings, but I wanted something integrated and liked the mounting brackets and low profile of the fiama. Along with the ability to deploy it from the ground as it's quite a ways up to the high-top.

As for Hangars in the Seattle area, ya that's tough. You would just have to look at any of the airports you think might be reasonable to get to and then see what they have for waiting lists etc. The market is very tight these days around here.
I will probably go with the Fiama for the same reasons you have stated. Thanks for the info.

The hangar idea is a cost/benefit equation that Im guessing wont pencil if it is a tight market. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great work on the build and it looks like it rolled right out of a pro manufacturer. Sorry if you listed it somewhere and I missed it, but what heater are you using and what are the specs as far as watts/amps? I'd really like to find something I can use that runs off the 110v inverter or DC if possible, as I'd prefer not to use propane. Thanks again for all the ideas in this thread!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
what heater are you using and what are the specs as far as watts/amps? I'd really like to find something I can use that runs off the 110v inverter or DC if possible, as I'd prefer not to use propane./QUOTE]

That’s just a very basic Broan 170 bath heater. It’s a 500 or 1000 watt heater. So ya I guess you could power it from the inverter depending on your battery situation. I just have it hooked up to shore power in my setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really like this layout. I have a question for akarmy, pbanbury, and GaryBIS who have now used this layout.

If you limit upper cabinets to just above the galley the van has an open and spacious feel, but you also reduce the amount of storage for long term trips.

How do you think this would work with your layout.

Where the beds are in the rear, raise the floor underneath the beds 12" and have two basement drawers on sliders the full length of the beds (the galley floor area would be normal).

You would sit 12" higher, but wouldn't have cabinets above you, still open feel.

These drawers would (surpass) the storage of overhead cabinets and still leave the open and spacious feel that you now have.

akarmy, pbanbury, and GaryBIS, would this work well or is there an unintended consequence?

Thanks

ps ... while the photos are of a truck bed, it represents the basement "floor" the beds could be built on top of. Ignore the mattress in the second photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
If you limit upper cabinets to just above the galley the van has an open and spacious feel, but you also reduce the amount of storage for long term trips.
This mainly depends on how you are going to be using the van. In my case we built it for mostly weekend trips and the occasional week outing. Thus far we've done both and found the storage space to be JUST enough (not too much that's for sure). That said, after taking a week trip on the road I'm considering putting one shelf on the passenger side that could hold some baskets instead of a flipper door style cabinet. There's plenty of headroom to add more, but it's a tradeoff with the open feeling. There is plenty of storage space under the beds, but access is a bit more involved when you have to lift the bed, so we tend to put things there that we take out only once when setting up for the night.

How do you think this would work with your layout. Where the beds are in the rear, raise the floor underneath the beds 12" and have two basement drawers on sliders the full length of the beds (the galley floor area would be normal).
I love the idea of having sliding access out the rear to the undersides of the bed, but the main thing to consider is the wheel arches bump out into that space. Since you would be trying to keep the drawers to the sides and keep the isle open, it would be a challenge. Either they drawer would need to be narrow enough to clear, or you would have to raise them above the arches, but then you would have dead space underneath the drawer with no easy way to access. Maybe you can work out some type of hybrid approach that leverages some drawers from the rear and some top storage under the beds. Would be neat to see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't find a picture of what I have in mind, so I'll try to illustrate the idea, with two photos.

The basement drawers would fit in between the wheel wells, I would match the height of the wheel wells, but in the truck bed photo below, they built their drawers a little lower.

akarmy you mentioned indoor access to contents, maybe one drawer could slide out the back of the van, and one drawer could slide into the living area, near the passenger sliding door.

As for the benches, unlike the truck bed photo, I'd have the top piece span the full width of the van, and then build the benches on top of this "floor" The drawer storage, and the bench storage would be separate.

And wouldn't you know it, while searching for another photo, I found someone who has done exactly what I had in mind. Van builders are very clever folks.

I like the combined advantages of more storage below, while retaining the great open feel that the akarmy, pbanbury and GaryBIS vans have by not having cabinets above their head.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
GaryBIS mocked this layout up inside his van during the planning stages of his build.

He decided to not do it, and built his much like akarmy's. Hopefully he'll comment on why he decided against it.

I will use the van full time, so a lot of storage is desirable for me.

I'm trying to find a layout that provides more storage while expanding daily living space, when compared to a more traditional platform bed / storage underneath layout.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,843 Posts
We also have all our storage low—no overhead. One other thing to consider: there will be times when you really don’t want to open doors. Rain, cold, etc. The more storage accessible from inside, the better. Pre-PM, we had boxes that pulled out the rear of our truck bed. Fine in good weather, but they really sucked otherwise.

An important detail of our build is the ~11” gap between the bed and the back door, in addition to the 18” under-bed storage accessed from the rear. Almost everything stored back there can be accessed from the bed.

For example, a couple mornings ago in a steady rain, MrNomer needed another gallon jug of water to make his coffee. Without getting out of bed, I reached down, grabbed one, and handed it up to him.

Toward the interior, drawers are da bomb. Mine are 28” because that’s the longest reasonably priced slides I could find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MsNomer thanks for your insights. I've enjoyed reading your build-out website.

You built a great living space inside the smaller 136 wb, with a surprising number of unique features.

I admire your build and how you've used it for your hiking adventures.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts