Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Looks great.... I like the vinyl and vhb solution. Where did you find that fabric? Joann? Do you think Velcro could produce the same clean look?
Actually it's a roll of leftovers from my airplane projects. I'm sure you could find something at the fabric store. I bought a few yards from an aircraft interior supplier years ago.

I do think Velcro would work as those corners have plenty of extra room compared to the surrounding plastics and the wood trim I put in. I thought about it, but didn't really see a reason I would ever need into those areas so I just used VHB that I had handy from other areas.

What kind of plane is that ?
That's my RV-8... The last big project before the van :)

SAM_4531 by Andy Karmy, on Flickr

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks great - I still would like to come by and take a look at both your projects. We took delivery of our 136 High Roof PM two weeks ago and my son and I have started the build out. In the meantime the -9A sits unfinished, waiting for hangar space. And time!

·
Registered
410 Posts
The metal mount is included with the awning. Hein produces a plastic backer with threaded inserts installed with a big pad of VHB on the back. That way you don't have to drill the body to install the metal brackets.
Do you think that just attaching VHB to the back of the Fiamma metal mount would be sufficient to hold it securely? I'm trying to avoid the $50 USD but like the idea of eliminating drilling holes in the side.

Thanks
Shaun

·
Registered
503 Posts
The metal mount is included with the awning. Hein produces a plastic backer with threaded inserts installed with a big pad of VHB on the back. That way you don't have to drill the body to install the metal brackets.
Do you think that just attaching VHB to the back of the Fiamma metal mount would be sufficient to hold it securely? I'm trying to avoid the $50 USD but like the idea of eliminating drilling holes in the side.

Thanks
Shaun
I did the drilling deed. It did take a lot of time and then I dropped a nut into the frame. That took a lot more time fishing it out.

I would say the pads are probably a good value based on time savings. And if the Fiamma brackets gum up from road grime.... removing them would be a lot easier..... assuming you just unscrew them from the plastic.

Unlikely he would sell these if the vhb wasn't enough.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
After looking at the parts I would not VHB the metal mount directly. There's some complexity in the way the mount opens at the top to put the foot in. It requires a tiny bit of space to move so that the top can slide up and down and capture the foot. If you don't want to use these mounts, you could fabricate something similar. Maybe just a bit thicker bit of plastic. You could countersink a hole for a nut to secure the metal part to your plastic and tape that down? The downside is that you couldn't remove the metal mounts without removing the vhb.

Which is why I like Hein's solution. It's clearly engineered to work nicely for this situation!

·
Registered
410 Posts
After looking at the parts I would not VHB the metal mount directly. There's some complexity in the way the mount opens at the top to put the foot in. It requires a tiny bit of space to move so that the top can slide up and down and capture the foot. If you don't want to use these mounts, you could fabricate something similar. Maybe just a bit thicker bit of plastic. You could countersink a hole for a nut to secure the metal part to your plastic and tape that down? The downside is that you couldn't remove the metal mounts without removing the vhb.

Which is why I like Hein's solution. It's clearly engineered to work nicely for this situation!
I didn't realize the there was a nut and bolt to attach the fiamma mount to the van. I thought it was a self tapping screw. Does this mean you need to have access to the inside of the van opposite the mount? If that's the case I'm definitely getting the adapters. Thanks for your help on this.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
First overnight trip

This weekend we took the first overnight trip. We went to a state park, with power and water to make life easy. The campground was at Deception Pass on Whidbey Island. Was good to have the electric heat this time of year and it cycled off and on all night. Not much else to report, other than everything worked as designed. Takes a bit of time to work out the flow with 2 people and the dog. You have to make sure and put things away once you use them or it piles up quickly in a small space. One thing that came up was how dark it was. With full blackout shades (from Vanmade gear) once it got dark it was pitch black inside the van. Thinking about adding some type of led dim nightlight in the future. On to the pictures...

Bella was quite interested in the goings on in VanLife

Her favorite place to sit (nose level with the galley counter) :)

The view across Cranberry Lake

Right before we left I made up a quick prop stick for the bed storage compartments. (as recommend here) It worked great and was very helpful when you need access to get things.

All too soon it was time to leave...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I spent a huge amount of time in despair looking for LED’s that weren’t bright. Then Serendipity stepped in and the little lights on USB ports work nicely. If they are low, you can’t see them from the bed, yet they light the floor for middle-of-the-night treks to the potty.

For a bit more light, check out license plate lights. I put one over the kitchen so MrNomer can make his coffee before I get up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
For low level lighting I used passageway lights, for boats. But I find the lights from a couple of monitors and chargers is plenty once eyes have adapted to dark, so we use the little passage lights most of the time when we get in the van in the evening.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Window Shades

Here's a couple of pics of our window shades from VanMadeGear. They fit very nicely, are full black out. They are held in place with magnets on the side and back windows. I worked with Simon to get the fit just right for the Motion Windows so he can now make those if people are interested.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
NFS camping

We tried out our first weekend at a campsite deep in the woods last weekend. Located south of Randle WA just east of Mt St Helens.

Deployed the Fiama awning to keep the tree needles out of dinner :)

We setup the outdoor cooking with the butane burner which worked great.

Guard dog was on duty

Had to get in a campfire before the summer wildfire season starts up.

Starting at 100% charged, running the ARB 50Qt fridge, Inverter for water boiling, LED lights and the roof fan some of the time, we finished the weekend at 84% charge. There was just 50watts total solr production per day as we were in a dense tree canopy.

A great success!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Screen setup

So first I borrowed my daughter's sewing machine, then I had to google the manual to figure out how to thread it. Glad I sprung for a nice machine when she was in highschool as now I can borrow it!

Then I opened up the $30 Amazon magnetic door screen kit

Magnetic Screen Door

and went to town with the seam ripper!

Like magic I have a custom made screen that I could not buy to fit my specific build! YEA.

We can even access the dog supplies, lanterns and hammock from outside!

I made the length just stop above the bottom weather stripping so it hangs down about 2" over the floor transition. The door seems to close fine with it in place. It's very easy to put up and take down if it's in the way. Will be interesting to see how we like it this weekend when we field test it.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Very good. How easy is it to close the slider from the inside with the screen up?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Very good. How easy is it to close the slider from the inside with the screen up?
You just reach through the center section and give it a good pull. You do have to take a run at it so that the door just slides and shuts itself. But it seems to work fine. The bottom is just above the slider track so it stays out of the way of the door just fine. Will see over time how it works. Others have done a similar thing so maybe there's more field experience out there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
So I wanted to hang some lights off the awning to light up the evening. First stop was to figure out a way to hang them. There are number of commercial solutions to the problem, but I figured why not build something for now and see how it works.

I took some 12" lengths of paracord and some 1" sections of 1/4" water line (from the ice maker install)

Tie them up like this

Slip them through like this

Then I found some lights from Amazon that used USB to power them. I took a USB power brick battery to run the lights. That way I can charge the brick inside off the solar & battery setup like all my other USB devices. But this way I don't have to put any additional holes in the van for 12v plugs etc.

https://www.amazon.com/DORESshop-Outdoor-Waterproof-Christmas-Powered/dp/B07F1B4PJ9/ref=sr_1_62?keywords=usb+lights+33ft+warm+white&qid=1561587227&s=gateway&sr=8-62

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Looks good! How do you like your Fiamma awning?
I really like it. Completely up and out of the way, super easy to deploy and easy to mount to the roof mounts. I have the center beam to stabilize the top but have not yet used it. Maybe when the wind blows more. It's so quick to deploy and crank back up we find we are using it on every trip at some point.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts