Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ProMaster RV build is pretty much done with all the major stuff. I've got a MaxxAir fan, but no windows in the cabin (aside from the front, of course.) My question is for those who have no windows in their builds and just how hot it gets inside even with a fan.

So far I've just had to deal with some fairly cold weather, but it hasn't been that bad. I'll be living out of the van for weeks at a time during the spring and summer and was concerned about baking alive inside the van on hot evenings.

I'm considering getting a rear window with slider from Motion Windows for some cross ventilation in the summer. However, I really like the stealth nature of the windowless van, so was curious if anyone has suffered through a hot summer in their PM RV builds or if the single fan makes things bearable.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,825 Posts
Some folks in your situation put a closeable hole in the floor. This would have the advantage of pulling in potentially cooler air from under the van. Just make sure it is well-screened from critters and sealable from exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used these from Euro Campers, just got back from a 3 week Motocross trip to AZ. Never got above 80, but the added air flow in my windowless PM was great. Plan is to just add a small PC style fan to them and power in the pillar, based on this last road trip I'm currently scrapping my plans for a roof vent/fan

Attachments

Reactions: PMF and KNDLKSTMS

·
Registered
765 Posts
Something I had to experience to believe: My factory window wagon, complete window set, did okay in 110°F weather in Kansas until late afternoon when the sun got closer to the horizon and all the sunlight was hitting the floor or the opposite walls AND IT FELT LIKE MOLTEN LAVA in the cargo area even while moving at 50, 60, 70mph. Sunlight passing through windows gets knocked down energy-wise and turns into mucho infrared light flooding the interior... which is then trapped in the vehicle as it can not escape through any glass since it's just low energy IR now. That's how people and pets get cooked in cars.

If you like the stealth look, then know trying to keep a window open for air movement also might let sunshine in which kinda defeats the purpose unless you're moving the van around and keeping it in shade, etc. Maybe research the huge euro style skylights that also act as emergency egress windows, they can have screens, double insulated glass and a curtain cassette built in to better block heat/cold/sunlight but can also open up wide so hottest air escapes while keeping a mostly stealth exterior profile...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These look interesting, but wouldn't work in my case. I've got blackout curtains hanging behind the seats which I'd need to leave open to help with airflow, which defeats the purpose of having blackout curtains when I'm sleeping if they're open. But still a nice option.

I used these from Euro Campers, just got back from a 3 week Motocross trip to AZ. Never got above 80, but the added air flow in my windowless PM was great. Plan is to just add a small PC style fan to them and power in the pillar, based on this last road trip I'm currently scrapping my plans for a roof vent/fan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately the roof of my 136 is pretty much covered in solar panels, aside from the space where the fan is mounted. I never thought of glass actually enhancing the heat. :(

Something I had to experience to believe: My factory window wagon, complete window set, did okay in 110°F weather in Kansas until late afternoon when the sun got closer to the horizon and all the sunlight was hitting the floor or the opposite walls AND IT FELT LIKE MOLTEN LAVA in the cargo area even while moving at 50, 60, 70mph. Sunlight passing through windows gets knocked down energy-wise and turns into mucho infrared light flooding the interior... which is then trapped in the vehicle as it can not escape through any glass since it's just low energy IR now. That's how people and pets get cooked in cars.

If you like the stealth look, then know trying to keep a window open for air movement also might let sunshine in which kinda defeats the purpose unless you're moving the van around and keeping it in shade, etc. Maybe research the huge euro style skylights that also act as emergency egress windows, they can have screens, double insulated glass and a curtain cassette built in to better block heat/cold/sunlight but can also open up wide so hottest air escapes while keeping a mostly stealth exterior profile...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that would indeed be stealthy!

Some folks in your situation put a closeable hole in the floor. This would have the advantage of pulling in potentially cooler air from under the van. Just make sure it is well-screened from critters and sealable from exhaust fumes.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I don’t get stealthy. People will notice a honking big van, trust me on that one. If they know a dangerous old man is camping in it they are likely to avoid it but if they think it is full of expensive plumbers tools and coper pipe, or carpenter’s tools they may break in. Cops don’t give a care either way. They just want you to move on anyway. I am the UNstealthy guy. I want to be seen and I want them to know it is occupied. If I wanted stealth I would paint it like a Cactus in the winter and then a Maple tree in the summer. Put a vent on it, no one will notice or care.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see where you're coming from, but I prefer stealth for several reasons. Not the least of which is simplicity. And I like clean and simple. I removed all the badges as I don't care for logos on anything. As far as gear is concerned, it's packed with a lot of dough in mountain bikes and biking gear, along with ski equipment and other random tools. The bikes alone are worth almost much as the van (I'm a bike ****, I know). But in solid white trim, it looks pretty much invisible. No one ever notices my van unless I have the side or rear doors open at a trailhead.

I know adding a window won't really change that, especially a tinted window. But from a strictly aesthetic perspective, I simply like having a plain white grampa of a van. It matches my old man persona.

I don’t get stealthy. People will notice a honking big van, trust me on that one. If they know a dangerous old man is camping in it they are likely to avoid it but if they think it is full of expensive plumbers tools and coper pipe, or carpenter’s tools they may break in. Cops don’t give a care either way. They just want you to move on anyway. I am the UNstealthy guy. I want to be seen and I want them to know it is occupied. If I wanted stealth I would paint it like a Cactus in the winter and then a Maple tree in the summer. Put a vent on it, no one will notice or care.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Ah that is a different take and I understand that. Mine became a Fiat Ducato and almost no emblems too. The stuff on the top and the windows do represent warts on it, I agree. But pretty warts don't you think?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful warts.

Ah that is a different take and I understand that. Mine became a Fiat Ducato and almost no emblems too. The stuff on the top and the windows do represent warts on it, I agree. But pretty warts don't you think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Still in the planning stages, I'm struggling with the ventilation issue too. One of the reasons I chose a low roof van was because I live on an island and the LR squeaks in at the standard height on the ferry. Over-height would be an additional charge each way. Even a Fan-tastic vent would be too much added height. I'm thinking about installing a pop-up sunroof right behind the front seats and manufacturing a panel with a reversible 12v fan mounted in it that would fill the open sunroof space. But the make-up air is still the problem. Have to look into the floor vent idea.

·
Registered
842 Posts
PI Day Physics and Science lesson

I learn something new every PI Day !!! Thank you Zoomyn !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm still in the beginning stages of my build but my plan is for a Maxx fan in tha back and a power sunroof up front behind the seats. Or you could just install a second Maxx fan?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I don't think my scheme would work too well but feature this ... PC type fans in the rear pillars sealed to blow through the vent flappers. Pull enough vacuum to bring cooler air in thru other flappers ??? Stealthy enough ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I had the space I would. My Maxxair fan is up front, and the rest of the roof is covered in solar panels. Had I thought it through I might have been able to arrange something, but too late for cutting new holes in the roof now. Not without removing a panel at least.

I'm still in the beginning stages of my build but my plan is for a Maxx fan in tha back and a power sunroof up front behind the seats. Or you could just install a second Maxx fan?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By flappers do you mean those black shark fin vents in the rear corners? That could be interesting.

I don't think my scheme would work too well but feature this ... PC type fans in the rear pillars sealed to blow through the vent flappers. Pull enough vacuum to bring cooler air in thru other flappers ??? Stealthy enough ?

·
Registered
842 Posts
They're way down low behind the bumper corners about floor level. Have to look down through the oval cutouts .They release pressure when shutting the doors. One on each side. Prob with my plan is the hot air is high up. But...duct up high ??? Just don't defeat the flappers.
Say , is there any good stealth camping around the Catalyst ?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
I bought these last year...wasn't sure about the holes in the back door, but I decided this spring, I'm putting one in each door... just taped on to see...

A few small computer fans on the inside would probably help. I figure the location is perfect to get air flow from the front windows to the back, plus they are up high.

Thread link here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58730&page=2

Phranc's install here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=346834&postcount=58

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's what I'm talking about! Thanks! These just might do the trick.

I bought these last year...wasn't sure about the holes in the back door, but I decided this spring, I'm putting one in each door... just taped on to see...

A few small computer fans on the inside would probably help. I figure the location is perfect to get air flow from the front windows to the back, plus they are up high.

Thread link here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58730&page=2

Phranc's install here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=346834&postcount=58

1 - 20 of 31 Posts