Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my new K&N air filter in after it spent a week long vacation in the Midwest courtesy of UPS. That was one messed up delivery. After checking the local dealer for air filter prices, I shopped EBay instead. Got a cabin filter for under $16 shipped. Easy installation. Got the K&N for $65 shipped. Had these on my last two trucks and I'm in the habit of just cleaning them and re-oiling every Fall. I won't even mention the dealer prices on these as I think they are trying to put their kids through college on the sale of each filter.

Even though the filter is huge. Twice the size of my Shop Vacs! The factory one was dirty after 15k miles and 2 1/2 years service. Not filthy. But as I opened the pleats, there was sand and dirt down in there. This whole area where I live is rotten with sand and grit. I find that after 15k miles even filters meant to last 30k are often dirty.

Installation is pretty easy. Loosen the clamps on the big intake hose. They are keyed onto the hose and won't rotate. I used a large flat tip driver. Wriggle it out and then use the same driver to get the four fasteners on the lid backed off. Then you can lift it out. Tight fit, but not too bad. Then lift the old filter out. Traps dirt on the outside surface, so it's easy to see.
Installation is the reverse of removal. I found the intake hose where it attached to the intake needed a bit of lube. I used soapy water and it presses easily into place. Heck, you could use spit too. No problem getting the other end back onto the filter canister side. I have to drive somewhere tomorrow, so I'll see if my hiway mileage goes back up to where it used to be. Its barely been getting 22 mpg hiway lately. It used to get up to 24 on the flatlands around here.

ETA: Have a camping trip up the eastern shore next week. 55 zone most of the way. Like to max out the gas mileage on this run! My old Ford van never got above 18 mpg on this trip.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It is a myth that a dirty air filter will rob you of mileage. This used to be true in the carburator days, but a modern engine has a mass air flow sensor, and will simply meter the correct amount of fuel per how much air it gets. The air filter can rob you of max power, but it can't affect your mileage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts