Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PM came from Florida so it has no factory engine block heater/tranny heater. I have read the posts on the challenges of installing a factory type block heater in these forums, so I have been looking at alternatives similar to the FrostHeater I have on my 03 jetta tdi (and works great - and there were very specific install instruction that came with it) . Before I buy one , I wanted to see if anyone had experience with these on a diesel PM. There are two types: gravity and pumped. One is available from "Promaster Accessories" with their "Winter Package" but there are no reviews and no returns accepted. They responded to my questions saying they are currently sold out (available soon) and that speaks to their success. Hmm.

Other companies that sell these are Kat's Heater and HotStart. But no specific application to the promaster is mentioned.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I would investigate the factory heater. I haven't heard what the issues are. Even if it is more $$ it might prove to be a better choice. They are included in the PM vans sold in Canada. This thread could help lots of us who don't have the heater and later learn we need it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My salesman said FCA imported ALL the early/first ProMasters without block heaters, Canada got them but the USA didn't!! He and ALL the Northern Tier States went slightly ballistic over that and now everything he's seen since the early 2014's have come with heaters... but that is just chit-chat with a RAM commercial sales manager in Minnesota.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=257961&postcount=18 <--- general heater info has been discussed before.

The factory diesel setup eats 750 watts of power with three heaters. Without using the heater it takes serious cold before the robo-trans will error out 'shift not allowed', two or three cycles of the glow plugs seem to get two cylinders started for a choppy ramp up to idle at merely laughable pain cold levels.

If you think you need preheat I'd be calling all your salesman, the RAM dealers nearby, anyone and everyone to try and get the factory units as cheap as possible - and the check is if it draws 6.5 amps to see if all three heaters are operating!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^^^
I had the option to buy the heaters when I ordered my van and since I spend winters in AZ I did not get them. I’ll bet plenty of northern state vans have them despite what anyone might say. Lets face it there are plenty of places in the northern states and high altitude states that it is just as cold as most of occupied Canada. I lived in the NE Kingdom of VT for 60 years and trust me, it was warmer in Montreal most days of the winter. CJAD was the “local” radio and we got the Montreal weather reports!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wanted to find others experience with these. I am interested in the hotstart pumped coolant heater.
Anyone else install a engine coolant heater.? Winter is coming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts