Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll be doing it in bits and pieces as time permits. While our needs are specific to our situation hopefully some of it may be useful to some members of the forum. It is now almost two years since I started the build and it will be a while until (if ever) it is finished. It is however functional at this stage for our use.

Background and decision process
Tent camping when the kids were small. Have had experience with tent trailer and travel trailer for camping. Current situation requires something different. Wanting something to travel/camp with our dog and not have to plan for dog sitting/kennel or appropriate animal lodging accommodations. Looked extensively at Class B motorhomes and decided against that option for the following reasons:

Expensive
Have too much stuff in them that we don’t need
Construction and material not the best
Lots of complaints on servicing and construction on on-line forums
MAIN ISSUE! Local ordinance prohibits parking any vehicle in the driveway that is equipped for human habitation. (permanent plumbing, cooking, etc.). Offsite parking did not fit our wants of spontaneous traveling.

After reading the Promaster and other forums I decided to build our own to suit our needs.
Our considerations and minimal needs:
Read all the builds and comments on the Forums, learn from the experts
Keep it simple:
No running water
Porta Potty
All-in-one electrical system (no DIY). Basically “plug-an-play”
Open feel
Provisions for sleeping and eating

In consideration of these parameters here is the floor plan we came up with:

more to follow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Curious how the fan is doing? Mostly mechanical specs & updates? Looking at buying a high mileage van and doing some research!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious how the fan is doing? Mostly mechanical specs & updates? Looking at buying a high mileage van and doing some research!
The fan works great and I especially like the remote control. It has a low power draw and is nice having it over the bed to draw in cool air

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The documentation continues, the floor was the first installation.
Floor system:
1” polyiso, ½” plywood secured with bolts in the built-in tie down location.
Connected the plywood joints with glue and dowels. Finished the plywood with satin finish water based polyurethane.
Based on what I read on the forum it appeared that filling the floor indents was not necessary and only added minimally to the insulation and sound deadening qualities, so I didn’t do that.

Vent Fan:
Had the MaxxFan 7000 installed by a local upfitter at the back above the eventual bed. Installed wood frame around fan. Secured to van ceiling with Loctite PL 8X adhesive.

Next came the windows:
Windows:
Our first road trip was to Vancouver Washington and had six Motion windows installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was supposed to say Van - dang autocorrect.

Curious about your van mileage and any mechanical issues or challenges you’ve faced.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was supposed to say Van - dang autocorrect.

Curious about your van mileage and any mechanical issues or challenges you’ve faced.
We only have about 5,000 miles on it after two years since some medical challenges have prevented more travel. Mileage so far is 20 mpg and most of that is highway miles with a light foot. No mechanical issues to date. I really like driving it and wish I was able to drive it more. It has great power, handles great and has a very good turning radius, in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're looking for windows for the rear doors. Which ones did you install? (Couldn't expand the thumbnails.) And do you get sufficient ventilation through them?
The rear door windows are SKU 136-4 with a dark grey tint and it is called a "T" slider. The bottom half of the 20 1/4" x 20 3/4" interior frame dimension window is a screened horizontal slider and when opened provides ventilation for approximately 1/4 of the total window area. Side note: Having the windows professionally installed is expensive however I figured we could save elsewhere doing items I am more comfortable with plus we traveled to the beautiful Pacific Northwest on our maiden voyage in the new van.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,570 Posts
We had the opportunity to have our Motion Windows installed at the factory, but MrNomer was skittish. We ended up spending more on shipping than the installation would have cost.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the next installment of my build, the ceiling. For the sake of not boring anyone I have omitted some of the nitty gritty details. However, if anyone has any questions or comments, or is confused,I would be glad to provide further comment. For those of you that have done a build you are aware of all the twists and turns this endeavor provides.

Ceiling:

The same paneling was used for the ceiling as for the walls. Before I could put the ceiling paneling up I had to design and locate where to put the attachment board for the future overhead cabinets. This meant designing the size of the overhead cabinets. After checking with forum members on what size they made their cabinets, I decided to make cardboard cabinet mock-ups. This gave us an idea of the types of things we could fit in them and how much they would extend into the open area we wanted to have.

Now that the size of the cabinet was determined I could locate and design the attachment board for the future install of the cabinets. The attachment board was built up of several layers of plywood located so that it would bridge the ceiling ribs and extend to the van ceiling between the ribs. Tapered spaced backer boards were glued to the attachment board to facilitate placement of the ceiling panels to conform to the curvature of the van ceiling. The attachment board was then secured to the ribs with riv nuts.

The paneling was again attached with Teks screws. The attachment was directly to the ceiling ribs except at the front and back rib where a wood cleat was glued (Loctite PL 8X) to the rib first. Thinsulate was again used for insulation.

Build postings to come:
Bed/Table
Galley cabinet
Upper Cabinet
Electrical (Kodiak "plug an
Play"
Misc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had the opportunity to have our Motion Windows installed at the factory, but MrNomer was skittish. We ended up spending more on shipping than the installation would have cost.
We could have had a local up fitter install the windows however we though it would be more prudent to have the manufacturer install instead of a third party. More importantly it gave me the opportunity to take a nice road trip.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
Vent Fan:
Had the MaxxFan 7000 installed by a local upfitter at the back above the eventual bed. Installed wood frame around fan. Secured to van ceiling with Loctite PL 8X adhesive.
View attachment 66001 View attachment 66002
Thanks for inspiring me to maybe doing something to hide the bare screws that are holding down my fan.

Also, how are you posting your photos? They seem to be in a thumbnail size that I can't expand.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for inspiring me to maybe doing something to hide the bare screws that are holding down my fan.

Also, how are you posting your photos? They seem to be in a thumbnail size that I can't expand.
Glad the post was helpful. As to the thumbnail photos, I'm still figuring out how to post the pics so I'll try to see if I can get them full size. I tried once and the pics disappeared so I'll try again. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
If your photo are full size they should post fine. Drag and drop or cut and past works quickly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I was incorrectly posting the images as cut and paste as reduced size from a Word document so they were not capable of expanding. I will now attach them as thumbnail images and they should be expandable. Here they are again. Hope that works. I guess I was dropped on my head once to often when I was a baby!
DSCN1089.jpeg DSCN1090.jpeg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The build continues

Bed/Table construction:

I wanted a bed that would convert to a bench and table. The bed measures four foot in width (front to back) and six foot plus across the width of the van. The center bed section is 30” by 36” and supported by storage cabinets on each side. This center section is removed to become the table and is supported by two removable aluminum legs (Camping World Sequoia III). The legs are removed in the bed position. The bed is composed of four 4” thick foam sections four feet long that become the bench seat and back in the table position. A lot of the builds on the forum went with a fixed bed however I was willing to deal with the inconvenience of doing the conversion every day for the convenience of having a seating area without taking up more precious floor space. Thus far it has worked out much to our satisfaction. Additionally, having lift out sections allows hauling long pieces of wood and other objects. The lift out center sections are secured with thumb screw bolts from the storage boxes to threaded inserts on the underside of the lift out sections. I also raised the foot area under the table six inches to provide solar panel storage. I elected to not attach the solar panels on the roof and will pull them out for charging purposes when needed. Most of the charging of the Kodiak is done when driving via the cig outlet. More on that in the electrical section.

These are the configurations for the Bed/Table conversion:
1598142841535.png
As usual, before I started this build, I made cardboard mock-ups.
DSCN1217.jpeg DSCN1224.jpeg

I started with a frame around the wheel well to protect the thinsulate applied to the wheel well.

DSCN1247.jpeg DSCN1244.jpeg DSCN1241.jpeg

I then built the rest of the storage box/bench.

DSCN1254.jpeg DSCN1250.jpeg DSCN1249.jpeg

To be continued in next post

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bed Bench construction continued:

The box/bench is fastened with a bolt to the sidewall rib, screwed to the floor along the side of the bench and with a bracket (custom fabricated by my son) screwed to the floor next to the location of the hold down bolt.

DSCN1256.jpeg DSCN1257.jpeg

Threaded inserts were installed on the underside of the lift-out sections (36”table and 12”rear sections)

DSCN1278.jpeg DSCN1285.jpeg

Wood cleats were secured to the top of the bench and holes drilled to match the spacing of the threaded inserts.

DSCN1292.jpeg DSCN1293.jpeg

Next came the solar panel storage box with an access door at the back.

DSCN1271.jpeg DSCN1290.jpeg

The bench/box is Oak Plywood and the table Cherry plywood, to add some contrast, and was finished with a satin water based polycrylic.

The cushions were from some 4” foam I had lying around and covered with an old bed sheet. While functional it needs some improvement.

The next post will be about construction of the Galley cabinet

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is how the table set-up works.

DSCN1538.jpeg DSCN1495.jpeg DSCN1541.jpeg

A couple of pictures of the Bed/Bench/Table in use:

DSCN1533.jpeg DSCN1561.jpeg

The galley cabinet is next

1 - 20 of 38 Posts