Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2019-136 HR in CO
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I did a ton of research on here already on an aftermarket remote start and thought I had found the answer. Several people mentioned successfully installing an aftermarket remote start, and specifically the Compustar. I found a good deal on the Compustar CS4905S-KIT which basically includes the FMX remote, the CM-DC3 with the bypass module, and a universal wiring harness (Compustar - Hardwire Installation Kit for RS1B-DC3) and I had an appointment for installing it. However, when it came time for my appointment they told me there actually isn't a compatible T harness that exists for the Promaster and they would have to cut wires, etc. which might cause other problems.

This was very surprising to me as 1) as I mentioned I saw a few forum members post that they had a Compustar successfully installed, though looking back at those posts I don't see a specific Compustar model number stated 2) I had thought from reading on here that there was a compatible T harness (several people mentioned the iDataStart ADS-THR-CH4, though I am not sure if that is correct or not as I didn't research this part of it in depth expecting that the installer would know the correct harness)? I can't find any specific information on this particular T wiring harness as being compatible. Crutchfield says it is not and does not list one that is.

If anyone has had success with this remote starter and knows the details of their stall, I would like to know:

1) which model of Compustar
2) which bypass module in the Compustar (i.e. this kit comes with the CM-DC3)
3) which T wiring harness, especially if it is vehicle specific
4) if your installer was able to actually use a wiring harness or had to directly connect the wires, etc.
5) do you have to re-start the car when you unlock it (The installer also did mention that with this remote starter and my vehicle, Compustar states that if I use the remote starter to start it but then I unlock the car, it would stop and I would have to put the key in to start it. I am okay with that, but am also wondering if others that have the same remote starter have to do this.)
6) any other issues or weird things that don't work or work differently after the install

For all others, would you avoid doing this knowing it would be manual wiring (and not plug and play with the T harness?

I am apprehensive to go forward with an install that would require so much manual wiring and am hoping others can comment on their experiences. If there actually some type of T harness, and if so, perhaps another installer can get it and do it without having to do the manual rewiring.

·
Registered
2019-136 HR in CO
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those of you considering adding the remote start, I wanted to update this thread. I went ahead with the install. As stated above, I had the Compustar 4905S-KIT installed, and added the alarm add on. After a lot of research and talking to several installers, it seems it is hardwiring (vs. hooking up a T harness) no matter what you go with. I guess just another Promaster "perk"! ;-)

I am happy with the remote start, but I did want to list the "quirks" so that other forum members will have this info for when they are researching and/or deciding. These are some things I have observed and would have liked to have known ahead of time when making my decision.

1) You do have to carry two remotes assuming that you have a Promaster FOB with ignition key (I am not sure if they make push to start Promasters but mine requires a key). The Promaster FOB will still work for lock/unlock, and of course you need it to start the vehicle once inside. The Compustar remote is separate and needed to activate the remote start and/or alarm. I don't think this is the case with the other popular option (Fortin Evo One) so I wanted to mention that in case you are deciding between the two. I do actually like this feature because it basically gives me the option of when I want the alarm to be enabled or when I don't (For example, means when we are camping and want to lock the vehicle at night, I can use just the Promaster keys to lock it as to not have to worry about tripping the alarm while inside).
2) If you unlock with your Promaster keys (after having locked it with the Compustar), and you have the alarm option, your alarm will go off. You have to use the Compustar keys now for lock/unlock in order to not set off the alarm.
3) If you unlock the Promaster while the vehicle has been remote started, it will shut off. It does not stay on in remote start.
4) If you open the door on the Promaster while the vehicle has been remote started, it will shut off. It does not stay on in remote start.
5) There is no button on the Compustar remote that will unlock the back doors. You still have to use the Promaster keys to unlock the back. So, if you have the alarm add on, this means be sure you unlock the main doors with the Compustar remote before unlocking the back to avoid setting off the alarm. In retrospect, I wish I would have asked the installer to see if it could have been wired or programmed to work with the Trunk/Auxiliary button since obviously the Promaster does not have a trunk to pop! I didn't think to ask this ahead of time and this was the first install of this on a Promaster he had done (he had done many on Transits and other vans, plus passenger vehicles and trucks, but just not the Promaster and every vehicle is different), so I don't think the installer was aware that there are two separate buttons (and maybe wiring circuits in the Promaster?) for the front doors versus the back. Maybe you could pursue this option with your installer.
6) Lock on the Compustar does lock all doors just as the Promaster FOB does (i.e. only unlock is 2 separate buttons).

If I come across anything additional that I haven't noticed yet, I will update this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts