Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

I am overdue at getting a theft alarm for my 2017 Promaster.

But my biggest hesitation is that I don’t want to add the bulk of another keyfob (to control the alarm) to my keychain.

Do you know if it is possible to reprogram the factory keyfob to control an aftermarket alarm? Below is a picture of my model of keyfob.

I believe the factory keyfob chip is required to start the car correct? So I can’t just remove and carry the key from the factory keyfob to reduce the bulk of carrying the now unneeded factory keyfob.

Any other ideas on how to have a theft alarm without adding another keyfob to my keychain?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2018 with a fob that looks *very* similar to yours. I've gotten two places to say that my fob can control a basic alarm. One is by Viper, the other, I can't recall the brand. They pretty much only go off when the doors are opened... the more sophisticated stuff didn't seem like it was available. $600-650 installed. Now all I need to do is find a day when I can be without my van to actually get the system in...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2018 with a fob that looks *very* similar to yours. I've gotten two places to say that my fob can control a basic alarm. One is by Viper, the other, I can't recall the brand.
Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me what Viper model they say can do it.

I went to one of the largest alarm installers in my area and they could not find a model that can do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hope this screenshot uploads...

And to emphasize, this was the quote where they didn't actually see me and my fob... all of this was just back and forth by phone and email. They did sound pretty confident, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
https://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/ram/promaster/2018-standard-key/

I think Evo-one should work for your need. You can use the factory or their RF remote to control the alarm. Also like what the other poster said, you can get valet key(w/o remote) from the dealer. I will also call multiple dealer, when I called last week, the price of the valet key is about $100 everywhere but the programming fee range from free to $300. I also just receive two spare keys(w/o transponder) for when i go surfing from this UK ebay seller . I didn't have the key code but he was able to code match it using just a pic i sent to him and took about two week to get to California all for about $32. The key doesn't have a transponder so it only can start the van for about a second and it shut off. I was going to have it made locally but none of the locksmith in my area can made me a copy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update:

I finally got the security system installed. It works off the factory fob. It's pretty basic: if you rock the vehicle, the alarm goes. If you open any door, the alarm goes.

While my installer may have added some secret sauce, the two boxes of product that he left behind are as follows:
Viper model DS4VP ("digital remote start system", which is kind of odd, given that I don't have/didn't want remote start capabilities)
Directed model DS4SU ("security upgrade for DS4, digital shock, tilt, &temperature sensor with mini-neo 6 tone siren")

·
Registered
7 Posts
which is kind of odd, given that I don't have/didn't want remote start capabilities
He probably chose this remote start unit because it's one of the few that allow you to use the factory fob. Since you didn't want remote start functionality, he didn't connect the wires for that.

The other component is an add-on which gives security functions to the remote start unit.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
So does that unit do remote start on a PM? I wouldn't mind having that capability. When I ordered my PM, there was no option for remote start.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Update:

I finally got the security system installed. It works off the factory fob. It's pretty basic: if you rock the vehicle, the alarm goes. If you open any door, the alarm goes.

While my installer may have added some secret sauce, the two boxes of product that he left behind are as follows:
Viper model DS4VP ("digital remote start system", which is kind of odd, given that I don't have/didn't want remote start capabilities)
Directed model DS4SU ("security upgrade for DS4, digital shock, tilt, &temperature sensor with mini-neo 6 tone siren")
I saw a neat Transit video.... He used the viper alarm auto start /temp sensor to start the van and idle for 15 mins for AC at night.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I saw a neat Transit video.... He used the viper alarm auto start /temp sensor to start the van and idle for 15 mins for AC at night.
Ha-ha! This is one of the reasons I was contemplating remote start!

Do you have a link to that video?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
junkycosmos
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing