Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van is in the capable hands of Dave Smith Motors, Kellog Idaho. Getting warranty work done on rear hitch wiring harness, replacing defective side mirror ( again) and addressing squeaks and leaks. I spoke with the body shop manager and he informed me the textured black plastic nose of the van and side moldings arent designed to be painted. It will peel off. I know some folks on the forum painted the front of their vans.... How's it holding up?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I spoke with the body shop manager and he informed me the textured black plastic nose of the van and side moldings arent designed to be painted. It will peel off. I know some folks on the forum painted the front of their vans.... How's it holding up?
Interesting, considering that Winnebago paints that bodywork for the Travato. Maybe not on all of them, but it is done. Haven't heard any problems from the Travato group about paint peeling off.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the same thing about the Travato. Maybe it's a different composite designed to be painted?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To address an earlier inquiry. Getting drivers side mirror replaced again. It flutters. Already replaced once, replacement is worse. Rear backup camera out of alignment... Looking at rear cargo doors. How, I do not know. Clunking sound coming from rear when I hit a bump. Squeaky cargo door. Side molding peeling off. Last year same dealership repainted entire passenger side under warranty.they removed the molding, painted, and replaced the molding using the same molding with the same 2 face tape. Informed they are instructed to do this. so now they ordered new molding... 2 weeks and counting. Leaking cv joint and oil dripping down oil filter. Hopefully it's just a loose oil filter.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Painting plastic requires an adhesion promoter for the plastic type and flex agent in the paint. And careful prep of the plastic to remove any release agents from the moulding process.
Painted bumpers and mouldings look a lot better than the Bumper Car(van) look.

·
Registered
221 Posts
FWIW:
About a year ago, I painted the plastic grill of my GMC Savana with canned spray paint. I used one that was formulated for plastic (available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). I think it includes a solvent that softens the plastic as the paint adheres, or something like that(?). I cleaned the grill well first, then applied several thin coats. At most, I spent two hours and $10. It looks great. (But it won't if you don't have good spraying technique.) There are no signs of peeling, fading, etc. The PM bumper/grill may be a different plastic, but I would try the same approach if I were unhappy with its current appearance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try another automotive painter.. They'll need to give me a guarantee on their work. I'm not willing to rattle can spray it. If I did it it would look like crapola. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone else rattle can their grill? I have a silver and would like to paint it dark gray to match the body side molding.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I don’t know about the technical aspects of painting process, but if you go to Fiat Professional site, you’ll find quite a few pictures of Ducatos with painted front ends; and while it’s possible the new nose is made of a different plastic, it’s unlikely. Either way Fiat seems to offer (or at least show) the Ducato with painted bumpers in the “camper” section.

From personal experience with Honda Minivan, which has factory-painted plastic bumpers, it’s possible to crack the paint in a minor bump without doing other damage. It adds a minor risk which probably makes little sense on work trucks. Campers are a lot more personal.

By the way, does the rear axle lookwider on this “Cutaway” with painted bumpers? It may be the wider track axle we’ve read about for class Cs. Regardless, paint makes it look sharper.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,269 Posts
I don't know what the rear track was on '14-'17 CC and CA's, I assume it was the same as the cargo van 70.5", made those campers look bad.

'18 the CC and CA's are 78".

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Speaking of improved appearances .....

Thanks. A rear track of 78 inches would make rear tires ~ 87 inches out-to-out. On a 90” wide Class C that would look a lot better in my opinion. We briefly looked at a REV and the body appeared to swallow the rear tires. Not sure how wide a REV is, but that plus long rear overhang didn’t look right. Sprinter and Transit Class Cs often have same appearance issue. Functionally, a long rear overhang can also overload the rear axle. I’m assuming the wider rear axle load rating remains the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I painted my with Duplicolor Pro Acrylic and it's held up very well. The can says it's paint and primer in one. I wiped down the grill with alcohol and sprayed a couple coats on.

·
Registered
368 Posts
To address an earlier inquiry. Getting drivers side mirror replaced again. It flutters. Already replaced once, replacement is worse. Rear backup camera out of alignment... Looking at rear cargo doors. How, I do not know. Clunking sound coming from rear when I hit a bump. Squeaky cargo door. Side molding peeling off. Last year same dealership repainted entire passenger side under warranty.they removed the molding, painted, and replaced the molding using the same molding with the same 2 face tape. Informed they are instructed to do this. so now they ordered new molding... 2 weeks and counting. Leaking cv joint and oil dripping down oil filter. Hopefully it's just a loose oil filter.

What was the cause of the rear clunk? I get a clunking often when say entering a driveway or something similar with a little bit of a grade and turning in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Plasti-dipi it. When it starts to look tattered, peel it off and do it again. I did both my hood and my grill over a year ago and after four plus seasons, many miles and multiple washes its still holding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think you have to distinguish between the grid and the bumper.

The grid is made of hard plastic and the spray paint quality is very good if we degreased the surface with alcohol and if it was lightly frosted with a fine sandpaper (150).
On the other hand bumpers and side moldings are - fortunately - made of soft plastic more difficult to paint, and this is where precautions must be taken as indicated by KNDSLKTLMS «The plastic paint requires an adhesion promoter for this type plastic and a flexible agent in the paint. And careful preparation of the plastic to remove mold release agents from the molding process. "

Jean-Paul

·
Registered
307 Posts
Seriously considering painting my body plastics with a truck bed liner. The faded gray is getting to me. Anybody go this route?

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
245 Posts
Seriously considering painting my body plastics with a truck bed liner. The faded gray is getting to me. Anybody go this route?
I have seen pic's of PM's Rino lined but can't remember whether it was here or not. Consider Plasti-dip, after a booboo with the motorhome I did the two back fiberglass corners with it and it held up fine. Like dnelsonid said, if you later change your mind it peels off pretty easily.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts