Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to forum, kicking around the idea of purchasing a new van to convert into a class b camper. I don't really need all the comforts of the ones on the market; shower,flush toilet,stereo etc… seems like a lot of weight and space to waste. I'd like to stand up and have the amities of one of the older vw westfalia campers, sink, stove, heater, bed, seating, porta potty and for two people. Would the 1500 work or would I have to go to 2500 for the hightop long?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Welcome.

I've been debating the same question. If you are over 5'-4" tall you'd need the high roof to stand unless you plan to have a pop-up roof added -- similar to some Westfelias. Actual headroom may even be less due to flooring and insulation. A low-roof Pro-Master is tall enough for my wife but I can't stand in one.

And if you take the leap to a high roof model in order to stand, then why not longer. Added length alone won't affect mileage or cost that much, so I'm leaning towards the longest extended model. But others may have parking, maneuverability, or other issues that may make a shorter van more attractive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We got the 159 inch wheel base high roof 2500 so I could stand up. But we didn't get the extended length because we want to park in a standard parking spot. We're converting it to a class b now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Standard parking lot length is a requirement as we will be staying in camps and timeshares alternately. I'm, currently restoring a 1978 vw westfalia and I come to realize it is lacking in headroom, A/C and reliability for a Xcountry trip.

·
Registered
358 Posts
When I first started I was convinced I absolutely need the extended version. BUT, as the actual planning progressed I settled on a 2500-159WD-HT and mine will have a pretty large fridge, cassette toilet, microwave, Webasto heater, 30 gallons of water, a nice cooking area and will sleep two (I opted for a bunk bed setup). No shower, no propane, no a/c. The conversion is just getting started, but so far I'm pleased with my choice to go shorter. Will post some pics when I have something interesting to show.

·
Registered
1 Posts
East coast campervan builder?

Does anyone know a good camper van builder on the East Coast? All the ones I have found are on the west coast. Thanks for any info. W

·
Registered
358 Posts
My ProMaster is being converted by Morehead Design just outside Asheville NC, in Mills River. Small operation, easy to work with - just don't be in a rush, he's pretty busy.

http://www.moreheaddesignlab.com

·
Registered
90 Posts
My ProMaster is being converted by Morehead Design just outside Asheville NC, in Mills River. Small operation, easy to work with - just don't be in a rush, he's pretty busy.

http://www.moreheaddesignlab.com
Nice. I've seen photos of his work and layouts, looks like great quality and some different thinking than the typical upfitter plans. Keep us posted with progress, and photos!

·
Registered
225 Posts
When I first started I was convinced I absolutely need the extended version. BUT, as the actual planning progressed I settled on a 2500-159WD-HT and mine will have a pretty large fridge, cassette toilet, microwave, Webasto heater, 30 gallons of water, a nice cooking area and will sleep two (I opted for a bunk bed setup). No shower, no propane, no a/c. The conversion is just getting started, but so far I'm pleased with my choice to go shorter. Will post some pics when I have something interesting to show.
Is the webasto similar to the diesel espar airtronic d2? Where are you going to install it? Are you going to install a separate diesel tank? Where? Which diesel tank?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi new to forum, kicking around the idea of purchasing a new van to convert into a class b camper. I don't really need all the comforts of the ones on the market; shower,flush toilet,stereo etc… seems like a lot of weight and space to waste. I'd like to stand up and have the amities of one of the older vw westfalia campers, sink, stove, heater, bed, seating, porta potty and for two people. Would the 1500 work or would I have to go to 2500 for the hightop long?
DEFINITELY the high top long!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Is the webasto similar to the diesel espar airtronic d2? Where are you going to install it? Are you going to install a separate diesel tank? Where? Which diesel tank?
Yes, similar to the D2 but it also provides hot water for the "kitchen" and shower. It's also at least twice as big. It will be mounted inside, just forward of the left side wheel well, air intake and exhaust vented to outside. A small (around 5 gallons) diesel tank is being custom made and will be mounted under the van.

We are early in the conversion so this is the only picture I have available - the Webasto is the silver box sitting on the floor, close to where it will be installed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Steve,

That looks very nice so far. We met a couple in Yellowstone that had bult their own camper and had used the Webasto and they seemed very happy with it.

In our first two campers we used a marine hot water heater that used engine coolant to heat the water. On the second one we also had an Espar D5 that would heat the hot water as well as heat the camper through 2 radiators.This camper we are going to use a marine hot water heater connected to the engine cooling system as well and the Espar D2 for camper heat.

I like the window in your door. What kind is it? A Seitz? Or another brand of awning windows? Are there screens and shades? Where did you get it?

We still need windows. We got Seitz windows for our second camper 10 years ago from the Seitz distributor in Indiana, but they seem to have moved and I can't locate them.

You are farther along than we are.

We have a maxair vent installed, some insulation started on the floor and roof, some wood battens glued down to the floor to attach furniture to and have accumulated a cassette toilet, shower pan, hot water heater, refrigerator and diesel stove.

Where are you going to put the fill for the diesel tank?

Good luck with your build and thanks for any answers and advice you can provide.

Tom

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yup, it's a Seitz widow. Don't know the source - you might drop Robert at Morehead Design a email, would think he could order you one.

Looks like our conversions will be similarly equipped - but I'm going to try a portable electric induction cooktop (instead of your diesel cooktop) and just a outdoor shower in mine.

Two MaxAir for me on my crowded roof.

Not sure how we are handling the diesel fill yet. Should see some real progress in the next couple of weeks, so will probably start a new thread with moe details and pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Advanced RV is in Northeast Ohio. Sterling who bought out Great West was in Ontario and has moved to Winfield Alabama. Not sure if there is anyone further East. Sterling will be converting ours when it arrives about Feb of '15.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts