Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you aren't supposed to tow the vehicle flat. I'm down in Texas and I'm stressed about facing my snow covered hill when I get home to Montana. My neighbor has offered to pull me up the hill with his tractor (1600 feet and I'd be helping by driving). I didn't see a tow hook on the front? I see hitches have a tow strap attachment, would that work? (It would then be pulled backwards)

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a tow eye in the kit under the passenger seat. It goes behind a little cover in the front bumper about 1/3 of the way across from the passenger side.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
I know you aren't supposed to tow the vehicle flat. I'm down in Texas and I'm stressed about facing my snow covered hill when I get home to Montana. My neighbor has offered to pull me up the hill with his tractor (1600 feet and I'd be helping by driving). I didn't see a tow hook on the front? I see hitches have a tow strap attachment, would that work? (It would then be pulled backwards)

Thanks!
i doubt you would have a problem being towed such a short distance with the engine running and in drive.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The issue with towing anything with a modern automatic transmission for long distances or at higher speed, is that the oil pump inside the transmission is not running if the engine is not running. This affects ALL conventional automatic transmissions that have been built in the last 50 years.

Short distance and low speed (such as getting dragged up your driveway or out of a ditch) is not an issue. There's enough oil clinging to everything in there that it isn't going to be a problem.

If the engine is running, the transmission oil pump is running, and then it's a complete non issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Thanks!

Guessing from what I've been reading that you might not need a tow at all. Seems like reports are that the FWD does pretty good in the snow.
:)PP

·
Registered
171 Posts
You could get snow tyres and/or a pair of snow chains, better the self tensioning ones (only one stop to install it). With alloy rims it is recommended to choose a pair with protection for the rims.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts