Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So three months ago I ordered my new 2017 Ram Promaster LWB Ext from a dealer about 75 miles from my home (in CA). They made the van on 1/23/17, and it will arrive any day.

The only mods I made were: black paint, windowless partition, no windows at all in cargo area, and two extra key fobs. It has AM/FM/MP3 and A/C.

At the time I talked to the dealer, he said that he would make me a great deal, show me the invoice, take great care of me, etc. The sales manager seemed like a straight shooter and an honest guy. They only took a $25 deposit, and they said that I was not obligated to buy the van. Well, I may have to forfeit my $25 deposit. They have given me the VIN, and they definitely made the van for me and to my specs.

I thought that it was strange that they did not take a larger deposit (I offered to give one). They assured me that they made the van for me. I guess if I don't like the price, then they would put it out on the lot and sell it to someone else.

My question is: how do I get the best price when I go in there? If he shows me the invoice, where do I go from there? He was unable to get me an exact final price back in Nov. 2016 because he says that the dealer incentives change.

I do want the van, but parking such a long van in my cramped neighborhood would be a constant problem. So I am willing to go home without the van if I feel that I am being overcharged.

We have a pretty small down payment, quite high income and pretty good credit.

So does anybody have any negotiating tips?

·
Banned
413 Posts
In general you have to treat this van as though it's one of many, and as though you really don't care if you get it or not. Do your research to find out what other people have paid/are paying around the country for a similar spec. Find a number you're comfortable with and stick to it.

Be prepared to spend weeks negotiating if they aren't immediately receptive. And they likely won't be. If the conversation isn't going your way, be polite, excuse yourself, and leave. Come back (or call) a day or two later.

Personally, I've never negotiated in person. I get a firm price -- the price I'm willing to pay -- settled on over the phone or via email before I set foot in the dealer's door. Only once we are agreed on details do I enter the building to sign paperwork.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My Dealer, today, advertised 8% off no-questions-asked on 2017 PM's on their lot; 20+% off 2016's (dodgeofburnsville.com).

Ram also is advertising $3,250 cash back on ALL 2017 Promasters for the Month of February... So, with near zero effort they should* be able to achieve 16% off the total MSRP including delivery. If you own/lease a competing 'van' market segment vehicle it is worth another $2000 off...

Give the money men full creative reign and see what they can do WITHOUT telling them what you plan to pay... 'there's gotta be more' worked real well on my F150, my PM got 24% off sticker so fast I think I left money on the table - I'd walked in 5 weeks before, said what I wanted and >blam< there is an ad in the local paper with 'my' van for 'my' price. Oops.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,470 Posts
You need to treat this as a commodity, go on every car search site and get an idea of what a used low mileage 159" ext sell for nationwide.

I don't know what the mark up is on used low mileage Promaster is, but the certified '14 3500 ext with 65K for $20k or the '17 3500 ext with 18k for $32 is still turning a profit.

Their job is to take money out of your pocket and put it into theirs.

·
Registered
888 Posts
look up all incentives on Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds.

Walk in knowing incentives and figure out invoice cost with options beforehand. Expect to pay invoice minus incentives. That's best fair price.

Dealer gets van below invoice and usually has dealer fees adding to profit.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
It's not always invoice minus incentives. You need to know who is providing the incentives. There simply isn't much $$ available back of invoice unless it's an older model that's been sitting and the manufacturer is offering the dealer money to help move the unit.

But, since you ordered this van the dealer will be much more reluctant to wheel and deal. Just the way it is.

I wouldn't buy new. There is much more room to negotiate on a used van and the Promaster hasn't changed much from 2014-2017.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm looking at a 2014 159" high roof, gas, 40K miles, seems to be in excellent condition. I've negotiated them down to $23,500 and they're holding it for me until next week. DO you guys think this a decent price or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
212 Posts
El Guapo - great deal for 159".

There is a 2014 136" High Roof with 4K miles for $23,500 in Chesapeake, VA. I just picked up my PM from them. Exact same vehicles. I took the one with 10,000 more miles and $3,000 less. That's $3,000 i can put into my build.

The vehicles still have 2years/2months and 22K/26K miles left on warranty - they only went into service in March of 2016.

It's a base model - no frills, but you can add most all afterwards as you decide what you really need vs want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everybody for the helpful responses. I called the dealer and they said that the rig is still making its way here from Mexico.

I asked how much they were going to ask for it, and the guy said that they would take care of me but they can't get a fixed number until the van is on the lot. He said that the February promotions are quite generous and that even if it came in March he would be able to hold over and apply the February promos.

I will keep everybody posted how much they ask for it and whether or not I take the deal. It is still the case that the long vehicle would be a challenge to park both at home and work, but it is possible to find some parking space.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts