Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,203 Posts
I will not buy Dometic “anything” again as their Corporate personality is not compatible with mine.

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
More on the Bike Stuff:

Pump mount:

Wheel Mounts:
I knew I wanted to stow the wheels on the back doors. I installed a length of Kobalt track mount from Lowes to the top of each door, above the windows. I just screwed it to the sheet metal inside door skin. I selected the Kobalt track over Rubbermaid or Craftsman because it is solid plastic, and I was hoping it would be simple, solid and quiet. It is. Here is a picture of the track. One length provided enough for the tracks above both windows. I used the long hooks so that each can hold 2 wheels. This comes in handy as I frequently carry a spare set of wheels for my MTB on trips (different tires for different trail conditions). I also installed a short hook on the passenger side door, where I can hang my road bike by the front wheel. I did this after my road bike blew over in the wind, breaking my new Di2 shifter, which cost over $300 to replace. Now I can hang my road bike securely. I take my Park Tools work stand with on trips. It folds up and stows in front of the toolbox in the garage.

Long hanger - for wheels, one on each door track:

Short hook - to hang my road bike by the front wheel on the passenger side door (I actually used a Craftsman brand, since it was in stock and the right configuation):

Drivers side rear door with wheel hanger:

Passenger side track with wheel hanger and bike hanger:

Wheel ties:

Fork mount for my road bike, with rare earth magnet holding the allen key necessary to lower my seat:

Better picture of USB charging system in the garage, on the driver's side wheel well. The red cable runs up to the Polar fan, so that it charges when the USB charger is on. The black wire mesh basket is from Lowes, and is made to be used on pegboards. It is handy for storing bike lights and bike computers while charging. I mounted another just like it to the rear of the bed frame at the back of the van, right scross from the USB charging ports, so that my wife can charge her phone and leave it secure in the basket. At first I was going to cut off the little wire stubs that are meant to hold the basket to pegboard, but I have found they are handy for cable management:

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Better pictures of the 12v and USB outlets in the rear by the bed, and how I mounted the Polar fan:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Passenger Seat Swivel:

I installed a Sportscraft seat swivel from EuroCampers on the passenger seat. I may do one on the driver's seat too, eventually. The install was straight forward, the instructions were good. It works smoothly and does not rattle while driving. It does raise the seat about an inch and a half. This adds a lot of usable space to the van.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I see I probably posted this in the wrong sub forum. Can an admin move it over to the Builds subforum, where it probably belongs?

·
Super Moderator
9,840 Posts
I can move it for you but it is your personal build so I see no reason to move it unless you really want it moved.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The flexible hose is attached to the stiff hose and goes to the Whale Gusher foot pump, mounted to the floor through a silicone pan that covers the entire area between the bin-holders under the galley (to catch any errant water). Flexible tube runs from the foot pump up to a marine faucet (I think it is also Whale brand). It has no actual faucet or shut off. You pump when you want water, and don't pump when you don't want it running. Simple and effective.
Don't you love the Whale pump?! It's great for controlling the flow so you don't waste a drop. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I can move it for you but it is your personal build so I see no reason to move it unless you really want it moved.
Whatever you think is more appropriate. I think it would belong in the "Builds" subform. When I started it, I mistakenly read the "Personal Conversations" subforum as "Personal Conversions". Duh.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Don't you love the Whale pump?! It's great for controlling the flow so you don't waste a drop. :)
I am really happy with the Whale foot pump. I got the larger of the two Whale foot pumps. I see no need for a 12v powered pump after using it. It moves plenty of water and is easily controlled by pumping or stopping, and it leaves both hands clear.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
460 Posts
Whatever you think is more appropriate. I think it would belong in the "Builds" subform. When I started it, I mistakenly read the "Personal Conversations" subforum as "Personal Conversions". Duh.
It IS personal conversions.
I have no idea why there are 2 subforums for builds.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
OK. I am fine with it here too.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,060 Posts
The idea behind the Members Personal Conversions forum was to have an unpolluted forum of builds threads, but it's slowly filling up with how do you wind a clock type threads.

So @bcblues thread is in the right one, IMO

·
Registered
479 Posts
1) I have to lower it on my bikes, not on my wife's bike. My MTB has a dropper so it is no trouble. My road mike takes a 5mm allen, which I keep on a rare-earth magnet attached to the fork mount - easily within reach.

2) I will get to the valance lighting strips in the build. Give me a minute!

3) The valance light strips get pretty bright, but I only installed them over the bed area (and another set under the bed in the garage area, with a separate switch in the back below the bed). The puck lights are controlled by a dimmer switch mounted just inside the slider, high on the B pillar. Those lights are more general lighting for when we are cooking and playing cards.
Loving the build and bike centred layout! Thanks for the idea about the magnet for the 5mm allen key, I will add that on my setup.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Loving the build and bike centred layout! Thanks for the idea about the magnet for the 5mm allen key, I will add that on my setup.
Sometimes the simplest of solutions is the best!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bed Coves:

I wanted as wide an area for the mattress as possible, so I built coves for the bed area. I used 2-by material for the edges, and 5mm luan for the "skin". This means that there is only about an inch of polyiso insulation behind the interior and the van skin in this area. The coves are just screwed into the webs of the van, with nylon spacers to reduce squeaks. That has never posed a problem with cold feet. Then I simply covered the rest of the top wall area with 5mm luan plywood, painted white. I also installed and wired two "headboard" lights, which I thought we would use for reading. We rarely use them.
View attachment 70258

View attachment 70259

Lower Walls:

I constructed the lower walls from 3/4" oak plywood. I wanted solid walls in the garage and to attach my electronics to. I attached the lower walls (and the upper too) with rubber well nuts. Get the good ones at Lowes. I bought a bunch from Amazon, and they were small and did not hold properly. The Lowes ones are solid and hold tight. Squeak free. Squeaks and rattles bug the heck out of me, so a quiet, solid build was a basic requirement. I also used the factory d-ring mounting points to bolt it in, with nylon washers.

FWIW, I left the factory vents (the black plastic thinks in the rear of the van low on the wall). These act as one-way valves for air to escape when closing the doors. If you look close, you can see that the lower edge of the lower wall "floats about 3/4" off the floor, allowing air to flow to the vents.

View attachment 70260

Wheel Well Boxes:

I constructed simple wheel well boxes from 3/4" oak plywood, with a 2x2 frame. Solid. The tops will be used for storage. I stuffed loose Thinsulate insulation in them, and ran wires for the rear 110v outlet and 12v outlet. I used Blue Sea 12v outlets, which are marine rated and excellent.

Valance:

That pesky area where the ceiling transitions to the wall. I wanted a smooth transition. I ended up gluing 3/4" plywood furring strips to the webs, and then attaching a strip of 3/4" plywood across the whole top valance area. This will serve as a solid base to attach the ceiling boards to.

View attachment 70261
Wow! Thank you for sharing all of this. Great story, great work. Cheers!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts