Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Afox, did you post any photos of the completed install? This system is similar to what I've envisioned, but I'm a bit concerned about the strength of the 80/20 in the crosswise pieces as well concerns about van flex being inhibited by the rigid aluminum.
I dont have the happijac in my van but another guy on here (username: sherpa something) does. I made my platform bed out of 45 series aluminum extrusion. I wanted to keep the whole width unsupported to be able to carry large items underneath and found that there was some flex with 3 crosswise 45 series bars and 350ish pounds on the bed. To stiffen things up I added two ikea skorva beams and now there is no flex. My bed frame is not supported by the van walls. There are 4 vertical 45 series bars that carry the load to the floor, Its attached to the walls to keep those bars in place but the load is on the floor. I can raise and lower the bed with the help of another person, to lift the bed and one person to work the angle connector on each corner of the bed frame, definitley not something I would want to do every day/trip. Here is a recent pic I took to show a ski rack I just added. Ski rack is actually a removable shelf under the bed suppored with cam straps. The shelf may work as a 2nd bed lowered to the wheel wells.

In hindsight I dont think a platform bed was the best option for my van. Even sleeping perpendicular to the van with a 60" wide "queen short" the platform bed takes up too much space. I am considering building folding bunk beds against the driver side wall. Having the aisle space the full length of the van just makes it so much roomier. With the folding bund beds when solo I could sleep in the upper bunk and keep bikes in the van or with the family I can put the bikes on the roof and have a lot of room in the van. Might be possible to store bikes vertically in the back DS corner with both bunk beds in use too. Also, I often camp alone and when I dont climbing over each other is'nt ideal and the 75 inch bed width is adequate but not perfect, its still a little short even for me at 5'7". Nice thing about the aluminum extrusion is you can disassemble/rebuild things to some degree.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I built a fully transformable (manually) bed with cargo position (top), two sleeping positions (middle and bottom) and two sitting positions (bottom facing forward and bottom facing rear). The rough idea is below. Full details and many more pictures are in my build thread and website:

Build thread: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84051
The detailed build description is here: https://wtvanconversion.blogspot.com/p/set-platform.html

Currently thinking about making it motorized, which might be a project for next summer.

Cargo (top)

Bed (middle)

Bed (bottom)

Seat (front facing)

Seat (rear facing)

And finally, fully loaded with two bikes and drop stitch inflatable kayak on a trip to Canada.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here is the post detailing my elevated bed. It's a manual lift. I'm happy with it after 2 years of using it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Juve: Thanks for sharing the link. Yes, this is one of the possibilities that I am contemplating. Have not decided yet.
ShaunB: Your movable bed design is simple and efficient and probably the best for manual with two bed positions. I wanted to have three positions with potential future motorized, so had to make rails and rollers, which is quite more headache.

·
Registered
437 Posts
World Trekker: Thanks. Mine has an intermediate position, but I rarely use it. If I were designing this again I would add a track (two of them, one on each side at the foot of the bed). The pins that catch in the holes could then travel up and down in the track. This would make manually raising and lowering a lot easier as I wouldn't have to worry about raising the bed perfectly vertically, I could simply lift it and it would stay in the track. I may modify the setup down the road. Tracks at both ends (4 in total) would mean the bed can't be lifted by one person. With tracks at both ends you have to lift both ends at the same time.

Good luck.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts