Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build my Promaster 159" Highroof window van with a loft bed that will sit above a bike storage area as seen on many builds.

But my wheels are now turning about possibly making the bed somehow height adjustable to move it way up to also allow a motorcycle to be loaded or making it so it can somehow be hinged in the middle so taller items can be carried. I have done a lot of searching and can't find any good examples of people who have done something similar.

Any ideas or links to builds that have this sort of thing? The intent is it would still be slept on at the same height but could basically be moved out of the way for driving.

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
There have been a few bed builds like you describe documented here.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been a few bed builds like you describe documented here.
Have any links? I have been searching... Lots of stuff with the basic under-bed bike storage but nothing that has a move-able bed that I have found.

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
I know someone here did it but I don’t have the time to search for it right now. You should be able to find it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know someone here did it but I don’t have the time to search for it right now. You should be able to find it.

I have posted these pics before. I had the same wants to put bikes under the bed. This is what I came up with for a cost effective strong setup. I load the bikes up for travel and pop the bed down when sleeping. The bed is made with aluminum ATV loading ramps so they are light and strong. 33 pounds per panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
No I am looking for the whole bed to be stow-able against the ceiling like in some toy haulers- similair to some garage roof pulley racks.. Or to be able to fold the bed into two separate halves so go from ____ to _/ \_ so that a motorcycle could roll in the middle.
Might be worth a scrapyard visit... many of the older Class A MH's had the cab bed on a mechanism to lift it up for travel.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
For the OP,
1 or 2 person bed? mattress size? are you 5' or 6'5"? length wise or width wise orientation? high tech or low tech preference?

·
Registered
737 Posts
No I am looking for the whole bed to be stow-able against the ceiling like in some toy haulers- similair to some garage roof pulley racks.. Or to be able to fold the bed into two separate halves so go from ____ to _/ \_ so that a motorcycle could roll in the middle.
ah, maybe u want a happijac:
http://actionvan.life/happijac-bed-system-sprinter-promaster-vans/

Happijac systems are sold to the RV companies and from my search there is only one other system like this which uses seatbelt type webbing material, it is sold by lippert (Indiana RV conglomerate that owns all shitty RV component companies). There are some DIY versions of this using the garage gear/platform lifts, there are some pics on the sprinter forum if u search over there...

I looked into these options but went with 8020 mounted vertically, will be able to raise and lower the bed about 2 feet but will be a 2 person job to raise/lower, probably something I do once a trip or season...
(Not done yet):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sqFJD1mUn3afaRZn1

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have posted these pics before. I had the same wants to put bikes under the bed. This is what I came up with for a cost effective strong setup. I load the bikes up for travel and pop the bed down when sleeping. The bed is made with aluminum ATV loading ramps so they are light and strong. 33 pounds per panel.

Peter Mason- Based on the pics, they dont hinge down right? You completely remove them from the wall and turn them 90 degrees? I like that-simple, do you have more info on the ledge you built to support it?

For the OP,
1 or 2 person bed? mattress size? are you 5' or 6'5"? length wise or width wise orientation? high tech or low tech preference?
Ideally, I'd be sleeping with my body perpendicular to the van. My initial thought was a double/full sized bed as the 74" length could go width-wise with minimal trimming and could sleep 2 with the girlfriend. Fortunately, I am the tall one at 5'7.

Happijac systems are sold to the RV companies....

I looked into these options but went with 8020 mounted vertically, will be able to raise and lower the bed about 2 feet but will be a 2 person job to raise/lower, probably something I do once a trip or season...
(Not done yet):
That Happijac would be ideal, but looks pricey. That 8020 looks like a very viable DIY replacement option

Thanks all, certainly gave me some thought starters!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are not hinged. I thought about all options that you have mentioned and found a tread called “another elevated bed platform”and decided it was just too easy, cheap and strong not to at least try. I find that it works great. I used angle iron for support mounts and used the existing tied down bolts. I didn’t have to drill one hole for this setup. I of course would have loved something that moved up and down but I couldn’t justify the cost and lost space.

I can move the bed from stowed position to bed setup in less than a minute by myself.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are not hinged. I thought about all options that you have mentioned and found a tread called “another elevated bed platform”and decided it was just too easy, cheap and strong not to at least try. I find that it works great. I used angle iron for support mounts and used the existing tied down bolts. I didn’t have to drill one hole for this setup. I of course would have loved something that moved up and down but I couldn’t justify the cost and lost space.

I can move the bed from stowed position to bed setup in less than a minute by myself.

Thanks! This is perfect. So far, this is the best solution I have seen. Then I won't have to mess with raising a permanent bed above the height of the tie down points as I won't have to clear the handlebar height of my MTB with the wheel out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We are trying to do something similar. I really like the way the Hymer Aktiv is done. Will probably figure out some way to do a hinged bed. Currently looking at Malliard trifold 6 inch memory foam mattress to put on it. That way it can be folded up against the wall when needed and clipped in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I built my van for traveling to- and camping at bike races. I really wanted a design that made loading bikes easy, and was trying to avoid a setup that where I would have to remove front wheels and/or seatposts, which is the case with many of the 'garage' style elevated bed platforms. I ended up with a futon-style bed, using a full size foam IKEA mattress with a 1" topper. The bed lives in its 'up' position 99% of the time, as I'm only sleeping in the van 3-5 days per month, but am driving around to bike stuff all the time. Despite all the time in the up position, I can't feel a crease or bend when it's down. I used IKEA table legs for supporting the side of the bed that ends up on the right side of the van, but I'll be building a box over the right wheel well to eliminate the need for those.

Pics from during the build out. It is now more finished, though I still am adjusting a tweaking things (we all know that none of us will ever be finished with this stuff!).

·
Registered
54 Posts

Happijac systems are sold to the RV companies and from my search there is only one other system like this which uses seatbelt type webbing material, it is sold by lippert (Indiana RV conglomerate that owns all shitty RV component companies). There are some DIY versions of this using the garage gear/platform lifts, there are some pics on the sprinter forum if u search over there...

(Not done yet):
Afox, did you post any photos of the completed install? This system is similar to what I've envisioned, but I'm a bit concerned about the strength of the 80/20 in the crosswise pieces as well concerns about van flex being inhibited by the rigid aluminum.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

(Not done yet):
Just don’t look for the Happy Jack on the “Tropical Thunder” site

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
165 Posts
Just don’t look for the Happy Jack on the “Tropical Thunder” site
Are you thinking “Simple Jack” from the ”Tropic Thunder movie”? ? LOVE that movie!

Reactions: RV8R
1 - 20 of 27 Posts