Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forums and haven't found anyone so far using an adjustable bed frame. I will be building out a 159" ext. high roof towards the end of 2018 and have begun the research part of the project and getting ideas. My wife and I have an adjustable bed now and don't sleep well flat and we found a few companies that make inexpensive manual bed frames that may or may not fit the ProMaster and wanted to get some input. We want to mount our bed East-West (transverse) but the length of the frame is 75". Pragma Bed has a full size that is 54 X 75". I'd cut the legs off the bed base and support the outer frame around the perimeter above our garage space. I may have to build my own and buy the hinges but felt that the Pragma would just make it easier, lighter and less time provided it will fit.

I'll also have to make sure that when in the inclined position that we have room so we don't hit our heads on the cabinets above us. This will make it more comfortable to watch movies or read at night. They make a motorized unit but I don't know if I want to have any obstructions under the bed. I'm concerned that if I attached a strip of aluminum or steel to the wall frame that I'll not have a thermal break.

I'll be posting a few other ideas before I get started on my master build out post. We will be full-time living out of the PM and still want some creature comforts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There's frames like this, which with a little handiwork could shortened to the width of your build: KD Lounger.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you’d like an off-the-shelf solution, Froli makes separate adjustable bed slat sections in two widths that are used in the Travato K. They go along as an option in the Froli mattress system.

https://froli-systems.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/adjustable-head-rest

I have a pair that I’m incorporating into my build. Originally I intended to install them side-by-side with a split mattress, but have since changed this to separate bunks.

P.S. The way these are built, it looks hackable to take two headrests side-by-side and lock the slats in the other base's frame so they move as one unit. You'd lose a bit of width that way. I haven't tried it, but it looks feasible.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks for all the ideas that have been shared so far. This project will be a lot of work but great experiences as well. We saw a very basic setup at our local Ikea but the long term quality seemed questionable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
LIfting Bed Frame

I saw a ProMaster where the guy had put just 2 square aluminum poles across the back at the mid point mounts and they rested on angle bar. The back pole, nearest the rear double doors was round. The two front poles were bolted to the 1/4 beech plywood that was the platform bed deck. The rear round pole was mounted to the beech plywood via 4 of those U-curve metal straps that contractors use to hold electrical EMT pipe to walls. The entire bed rotated up using the whole rear round pole as a hinge. Total cost, he said: $52.00

When it was down in sleeping position it took up most of the space in the rear. To put it up he pulled 3 of those packing compression straps across it to hold the bedding in place. Then he lifted the whole cargo inwards-facing edge and it tilted up on the round pole and he hooked the front leading edge to two hooks on the ceiling. So now the bed was gone and it was hiding in the back in only a small amount of space.

On the underside of the bed was a flat screen TV. There was also a desk/dining table top you could now hook to the rear round pole that had its two front corners hung from the ceiling. It was clever.

I bet some of the engineers on here could even tune the idea up more.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased a Pragma-Pragmatic Powered Adjustable Full-size bed frame and created a video on my Youtube channel to show the assembly and measurements. This isn't a paid endorsement. I haven't begun the install in the PM yet but will make some modifications to the frame or at least reinforce along the sides. I'll likely remove the legs at the head and feet and either extend the legs in the center as we'll be using the area below for our garage space with enough height to store bikes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We replicated the bed lift that was in our first (professionally built) van when we did our second van ourselves. We used linear actuators and aluminum rails for the vertical supports. It's not super complicated, check it out here:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts