Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you built anything into your van to maintain a fitness routine while traveling? I'm really thinking of installing a pull up bar, or one of those climbing hand holds for back workouts. I plan on doing a lot of running and biking, but I'd like to do some light body weight training. What things either have you built into your van or do you bring with you to stay fit? Share pictures if you're able!

·
Registered
810 Posts
We haven't done anything to the van to support out fitness (except get the van of course. For strength training, figure out how to mount a TRX setup. Don't discount exercise bands.

·
Registered
618 Posts
besides walking (not hiking) I have a 5 # weight I do some reps

I am on a ...statin so these are necessary

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
An alternative to TRX is a set of gymnastics rings. I have a pair at home and it's amazing what you can do with them. You could probably find a way to hang them in the open slider or rear doors, or if you have a strong roof rack. Cheap on amazon.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I recently added a pull up bar to my Promaster. Not so much for pull ups as there isn't enough head room for proper form, but mostly I built it for dead weight hangs (I have two herinated disks and thoracic scoliosis and hanging helps with both). I also built it to double as a drying/hanging rack for wetsuits and for a anchor point for my knockoff TRX set. It was a slightly challenging location due to the angle of the body panel, but a couple hours with the MIG and a little bit of complaining and I had it in place. It easily supports my 180lbs and would probably hold much more.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
We use Kettlebells and a free app called Kettlebell by Fitify, works offline. Also 7 Minute Workout by Johnson and Johnson (need to find the older version to work offline). Are taking a TRX knockoff (TRE) this excursion and attaching to rear door catches. Not sold on the TRX yet, Kettlebells and 7M are solid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently added a pull up bar to my Promaster. Not so much for pull ups as there isn't enough head room for proper form, but mostly I built it for dead weight hangs (I have two herinated disks and thoracic scoliosis and hanging helps with both). I also built it to double as a drying/hanging rack for wetsuits and for a anchor point for my knockoff TRX set. It was a slightly challenging location due to the angle of the body panel, but a couple hours with the MIG and a little bit of complaining and I had it in place. It easily supports my 180lbs and would probably hold much more.
I cannot weld, but this is exactly what I want. So you made this yourself? I was hoping to buy a product that would work on the weird angle there, haha.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I cannot weld, but this is exactly what I want. So you made this yourself? I was hoping to buy a product that would work on the weird angle there, haha.
Yes, I made it out of piece of 1x3" rectangular tube, a couple pieces of 1/4" steel plate and a section of heavy galvanized conduit. It's bolted through the existing holes using large washers, so I didn't have to drill anything into the van.

Also, I didn't want anyone hitting their head when getting in and out, so I angled it up towards the ceiling and that made it more difficult. If you do decide to make one or have one built be careful as not only is that panel at an angle, but it curves inward near the cab. I just made it about a foot narrower than the slider to avoid dealing with curve.

·
Premium Member
8,057 Posts
I walk and think. I know the brain isn’t a muscle but it burns lots of Kcal. Remember that carrying some extra weight is a hedge against getting sick and loosing 40 lbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts