Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my new gray 136 HR around this week, I had multiple people pull out in front of me in dangerous ways. This was more than the standard SF Bay Area traffic insanity. I am thinking they might not have seen the dark gray van at dusk. This was one of the reasons I got the gray one (blend in when parked), but for driving, I’m now concerned about safety.

I’m considering additional marker lights all around, run off a switch on the dash. I don’t want one of those off-road style LED blasters, just something white or amber to let folks know a large vehicle is coming their way. One idea I had was to use one of those 60” LED strips that I see on the back of pickups, but in amber and across the hood just above the bumper. Not sold on that idea yet, though.

What have you done to increase visibility?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If they can't see you with all the lights that this van has now, adding more lights won't help.

It you still want to add lights you need to know what the law and regs say, if you care about that kind of stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Many people just don’t want to get stuck behind a van, especially a wide - high one and will risk life and limb to get into the road in front of one. Lights won’t help.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Many people just don’t want to get stuck behind a van, especially a wide - high one and will risk life and limb to get into the road in front of one. Lights won’t help.
As an ex 18 wheeler what RD said is true. Marker lights give the four wheeler advance notice that you are a truck.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If it’s dark enough to have lights on, I’m not sure the van’s color makes much difference.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'll say the same thing, but in different words.
Most humans aren't evolved enough to be operating heavy equipment. Even if you turn your van into a Christmas tree, people are still bad at judging speed and distance. Also, most people don't have the physical and mental coordination skills to be good at driving. Add that with not paying attention, impatience, poor judgement,......the only thing we can do is keep adding airbags for when we all smash into each other.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Driving my new gray 136 HR around this week, I had multiple people pull out in front of me in dangerous ways. This was more than the standard SF Bay Area traffic insanity. I am thinking they might not have seen the dark gray van at dusk. This was one of the reasons I got the gray one (blend in when parked), but for driving, I’m now concerned about safety.

I’m considering additional marker lights all around, run off a switch on the dash. I don’t want one of those off-road style LED blasters, just something white or amber to let folks know a large vehicle is coming their way. One idea I had was to use one of those 60” LED strips that I see on the back of pickups, but in amber and across the hood just above the bumper. Not sold on that idea yet, though.

What have you done to increase visibility?
I have rode “street motorbikes” since 1981. Never been hit by another vehicle (but not from lack of them trying).

I heard an “expert” talking about why drivers hit motorcycles, and he attributed it to memory. The idea is the drivers “see” the motorcycles, but in the process of checking around (within a few seconds), “forget” they are there. At 1st it seemed like a weird concept, but later when I pondered it it started to make some sense to me.

so if this is really the case with motorcycles, I could see how colors and size of a vehicle could also have the same affect on drivers memory.

I’m not saying I agree with this expert report, but it is food for thought. Maybe additional lights help drivers remember short term that there is a large elephant in front of them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts