Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added additional backup lighting to enhance the camera view at night.
I have noticed the camera view gets very grainy and hard to see detail when dark. Wondering if the addition of some LED's for backup would help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have the RV 7 pin trailer connector outlet on the back? One of the pins is for backup lights... might be an easy way to connect a set of backup lights up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
834 Posts
Great Idea ! I can't see diddly when there's a shadow on the trailer and hitch alignment procedure .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I added an eighteen watt LED lamp to my rear view camera pod after removing the center clearance lamp. It was tapped into my backup light circuit. The original backup lamps were replaced with smaller wattage lamps so the canbus would read the current within the parameters and you don't get a dashboard warning. For me the eighteen watt LED was too much brightness and washed out the view so I replaced it with a six watt unit that is just about right. The bonus was that the six watt unit has dual LEDs (three white and three amber) so I wired the amber lamps to a switch just inside the rear door and use it as a porch/area light. I am in the process of adding dual LED garden tractor headlights, one on each side of my trailer hitch controlled by a switch on the dash. I know, overkill.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Hey if it’s worth doing it must be worth doing to complete abusive excess!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Is the backup camera an Infrared ? If so, adding bunch of infrared LED's might give you a much better picture than trying to use white light to make it 'daytime'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts