Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I finally going to be able to move into the new promaster that's been in the back for about a month now. It only has the basic radio in it, andi was wondering if I could maybe add the u connect radio....

The main reasons for wanting the u connect radio is back up camera, and the aux port on the radio. I know I can get a camera and mount setup price ranging from right at 100 bux(peak backup camera-amazon) to spending big bux on a new aftermarket radio and camera setup, and anywhere in between.

You guys with the uconnect- how would you go about this? Find a used radio and install it? Or just do the backup camera route? I'm having to pay for this, company won't, so price will be somewhat of a factor. I am just thinking I might do a basic camera and screen setup(whether it be in a rear view mirror, or other on another mounted screen somewhere)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
U-Connect 5 also has useful trip info that is not available on the dash. I haven't seen the basic radio, so I don't know how much of this will be missing.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Don't waste your money on the uConnect! There are much better options out there. The only good thing is a bit more control over the dash readouts.

You can easily connect just about any rear view camera to any new style head end radio with a screen. They all have camera inputs on them. Also the uConnects GPS is basically useless, it's way to small and very difficult to use and the maps stink!

Spend your money on a good aftermarket double DIN radio like a Sony or Panasonic that you can interface with your smart phone (iPhone, hopefully).

·
Registered
549 Posts
uConnect does a lot more than just blue tooth. It displays vehicle specific messages as well. I'm not sure just how easy it would be to just slap in a uConnect.

Have you got a GPS in the Promaster? In my Dodge Ram 1500 I wanted a back up camera so I could hook up the trailer by myself quickly. I found that there are a few GPS units on the market with a Video In port. I installed a $10 CMOS camera from eBay into the tailgate handle pointing down at the hitch ball, powered the camera off of my reverse lights,and plugged it into the Video In port on my GPS. When I put it in reverse, the camera gets power, then the GPS switches to Video In since it now sees a signal.

Camera with Infrared LED's mounted in tailgate handle

View on GPS

The GPS is an older Garmin 5000 truck unit. I picked it for the Video In and larger screen. Garmin has a couple of GPS units now that are compatible with wireless backup cameras. Have a look at the RV section of their web site.

As for music pick up one of the new portable bluetooth speakers on the market. and stream music to it from your phone. The sound is pretty decent.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Hi,
Here is another thought.

We have the U-connect with backup camera but no GPS. To get GPS we added the Garmin 760 gps that is made for RV's.

The 760 GPS is very good -- great screen and very nice interface and very complete databases. The Garmin 760 is also offered with a backup camera option. So, you could add the Garmin 760 with backup camera to your current setup and get most of the way to what you want -- just a thought.
I think that the Garmin also does bluetooth phone connections.

Having suffered through a couple of GPS's from auto manufacturers, I'd take the Garmin any day.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Most likely a uConnect will just plug right in all you would need to do is have the dealer program it for you. Still, a very poor choice for what you want!

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I am thinking of mounting an IPad mini paired to my iphone to get maps, internet, and I have seen an app to pair it to a bluetooth camera < [ame]http://www.amazon.com/4UCAM-Backup-Camera-iPhone-Android/dp/B00HWB91VY[/ame] > for a backup camera. There are wifi connections to have it replicate a scantron < [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner-Adapter-Android/dp/B00NAVMG1C/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424623825&sr=1-2&keywords=vehicle+code+reader+wifi[/ame] > to get the vehicle information too, and an app. [ame]https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8[/ame]

Isn't this the direction these things are going?

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
That's a much more practical and useable solution. About the only thing I say about the uConnect is the radio works well and the Bluetooth. The back up camera screen and GPS are way to small for a van like the promaster. Would even try to utilize a full size iPad Air!

I have the obd scanner you posted from Amazon actually but I never use it. It works well but it's a real PITA to set up and control while driving. Worth the $20 for sure but I use my Scangage instead.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love mine uconnect 5.0. It was the one option my PM had to have. Once you start using the steering wheel controls you will feel bad for those who have to reach over to switch stations and control volume. The hands free bluetooth controls were a must have too. I also have the satellite radio which I listen to 90% of the time. Tons of presets and lots of other info available too. Great investment.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
But... You can get all of that with a better unit than the uConnect! A 5" screen on a head unit like this in a big van is an absolute disgrace as far as I'm concerned. The bare minimum should be the 7" one in the uConnect7 that isn't available in the ProMaster.

It's a second rate unit in a first rate vehicle, not to mention how overpriced it is if you get all the extras like BU camera, Bluetooth and Sirius!

Any of these units are a far better choice in features and costs no more http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DqkmmloAWmX/shopsearch/carplay.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the input!

I do have a GPS in the vehicle. It is provided by company and we are tracked by the GPS and obd 2plug in thing. The trackingnis mainly for speeding as we have had a lot of that in the past....I was one of them..lol...I like to go 12 to 15 over what can I say....lol

I don't think my mode! Of GPS has a video plug in....but I will look tommrow to be sure. If so, then that's my answer. If not, I'll look at the aftermarket radio route....I already have a 12 inch sub and amp and a aftermarket single din radio in my e250. I am an audiophile and love my bass in the music. So I'll be at least switching my sub/amp setup over to the PM. I listen to my satellite radio all the time...every day. So radio isn't really important. I am wondering if the USB input will allow the playing of the satellite radio with the aux output from the base of the xm radio.

I hope i get to move into my pm this week. Its killed me to see it sitting there and not knowning if it was going into install or service. I was told it was for me when it first arrived from the dealer.....then I was told it was going into install....now they tell me it really is mine. Lol. Talk about your roller coaster. Haha

·
Registered
102 Posts
My uconnect radio would only do well as a rock that i could skip across the water.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input!

I do have a GPS in the vehicle. It is provided by company and we are tracked by the GPS and obd 2plug in thing. The trackingnis mainly for speeding as we have had a lot of that in the past....I was one of them..lol...I like to go 12 to 15 over what can I say....lol

I don't think my mode! Of GPS has a video plug in....but I will look tommrow to be sure. If so, then that's my answer. If not, I'll look at the aftermarket radio route....I already have a 12 inch sub and amp and a aftermarket single din radio in my e250. I am an audiophile and love my bass in the music. So I'll be at least switching my sub/amp setup over to the PM. I listen to my satellite radio all the time...every day. So radio isn't really important. I am wondering if the USB input will allow the playing of the satellite radio with the aux output from the base of the xm radio.

I hope i get to move into my pm this week. Its killed me to see it sitting there and not knowning if it was going into install or service. I was told it was for me when it first arrived from the dealer.....then I was told it was going into install....now they tell me it really is mine. Lol. Talk about your roller coaster. Haha
Most BU cameras use a yellow RCA type plug to connect to the radio. I don't know about GPS's but if it has a female RCA receptacle on it somewhere you might be in luck.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here's an option for a GPS and camera.

Installed a Garmin RV760 LMT with the their BC20 wireless camera. It comes with a clip to mount on the license plate but I cut the clips off and slipped it behind the lights mounting screw. Had to file a small grove on the back of the lens so the cable would fit behind it. The bulb is access from inside so I put a small bead of silicone around the lens to seal it up better also. It might not be a HD camera but it works quite well.
Nice big screen. Good data base. Bluetooth for phone, although I haven't tried it... Wireless camera of good quality and easy install. Installed it on the clip board "Proeddie" style.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
makevx73 camera looks better than that horrible big black box that houses the OEM camera.

I am not particularity found of the my uconnect radio and also have doubt on its durability (my screen refused to lid up a couple of times.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. In my working today, I forgot to look at the Gps. Lol....but I'll look tommorow.

I got the green light to move into the pm when I wanted to. Now, we have snow in the forecast this week for Tues and Wednesday...coupled with some Thursday night and Friday.. ..sooooo....IMA try to either squeeze it in maybe tomorrow after work or this weekend. We will see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts