Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Musing here, if you don't have radio or phone buttons that might be for one of those.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Some use online like LKQ or Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Google map search for pick and pull or something similar.

I searched LKQ and it seem like you have to get the whole column, approx $200

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I have to ask... why would you not get the Rostra kit?

It looks exactly like the factory version, installs in the same place on the column, and works the same way. It does not requires a visit to the dealer to enable it (if they are willing and able.) The wiring is all plug and play except for one wire, which is easily soldered (see my post for link to installation.) Less parts to take apart and put back together, no search for the (maybe) correct parts at a salvage yard, no chance of messing with any of the other wires in the column (like radio controls, etc.) and probably less expensive to buy than all the factory parts and wiring.

I was going to list pros and cons, but I couldn't think if any cons!

·
Registered
27 Posts

It looks exactly like the factory version, installs in the same place on the column, and works the same way. It does not requires a visit to the dealer to enable it (if they are willing and able.) The wiring is all plug and play except for one wire, which is easily soldered (see my post for link to installation.) Less parts to take apart and put back together, no search for the (maybe) correct parts at a salvage yard, no chance of messing with any of the other wires in the column (like radio controls, etc.) and probably less expensive to buy than all the factory parts and wiring.

Well, it doesn’t look like rostra one. I do not like how the rostra looks like. The factory changes speed 1 by 1 mile. Rostra changes 3 miles per press.
Besides, it requires to do something with the wires. I don’t like it either.
What about enable the factory one? Do you know how they do that and how much they charge?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The Rostra I added to my 2014 looks exactly like the 2014 factory stalk. Apparently they changed the "look" of the stalk for 2016+. My Rostra up/down buttons change speed in 1mph increments. My suggestions are based on that info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It looks like the cruise control plug but not 100% sure their are some difference note this one has 5 pins. I have just got a 2017 CC stalk to fit on my 2017 van and it got 3 pins the stalk has speed limiter function as well

·
Registered
57 Posts

I've had terrible luck with mine (detailed more fully on the other thread). I keep getting an error code (P2138) and the flashing lightning bolt symbol. I tried calling Rostra and their tech support told me to shorten the ground wire. I've resoldered and trimmed the ground wire to practically nothing and the problem still occurs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Rostra I added to my 2014 looks exactly like the 2014 factory stalk. Apparently they changed the "look" of the stalk for 2016+. My Rostra up/down buttons change speed in 1mph increments. My suggestions are based on that info.
This guy saying about changing speed more than 1 mile.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This guy saying about changing speed more than 1 mile.
I've had the same experience with using the Acc/Coast buttons. Half the time they do nothing, half the time there's a surge. I've also noticed when I go up a hill with cruise control on, it overrevs the engine, shooting it up to 5k RPMs and accelerating by as much as 15 mph before it eases off to the set speed again. If it's a long hill, it will repeat this several times.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had the same experience with using the Acc/Coast buttons. Half the time they do nothing, half the time there's a surge. I've also noticed when I go up a hill with cruise control on, it overrevs the engine, shooting it up to 5k RPMs and accelerating by as much as 15 mph before it eases off to the set speed again. If it's a long hill, it will repeat this several times.
You shouldn’t use CC on the hills. That’s the rule. Especially on the Promaster’s week engine and transmission. You gonna burn your engine

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Is this "Fred's Rule"?

In previous discussions, there are those who use it on hills and those who don't. I wouldn't describe the Promaster engine as "weak"...it's the same engine used in many of FCA's cars, including police cars, the Challenger and Charger. (Yep, I'm a Mopar fan) Plenty of HP and torque. Weak? with a 4,680-pound maximum payload and towing capacity of up to 6,910 pounds? ;)

To quote BavarianBoy from a post about 5 years ago, "The ProMaster is a Italian car like Ferrari or Lamborghini.
It shifts not "aggressive", it shifts sporty"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is this "Fred's Rule"?

In previous discussions, there are those who use it on hills and those who don't. I wouldn't describe the Promaster engine as "weak"...it's the same engine used in many of FCA's cars, including police cars, the Challenger and Charger.
Well, if you put this engine to Semi truck, it will not make it stronger.
I would better make a motorcycle with this engine than the commercial vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't think main dealers want to do any upgrade work such as enabling cruise control. Alfaobd is a programe for pc or android phone that can enable cruise control and a lot more !!.
You would need Bluetooth obd reader a yellow obd cable and the alfaobd app. If you want to do it yourself. Their are other obd scanner tools but i have never used any of them

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't think main dealers want to do any upgrade work such as enabling cruise control. Alfaobd is a programe for pc or android phone that can enable cruise control and a lot more !!.
You would need Bluetooth obd reader a yellow obd cable and the alfaobd app. If you want to do it yourself. Their are other obd scanner tools but i have never used any of them
Im gonna try it. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
On the official page it says that the programm does not support vehicles 2017 and older because factory started to install the Security Gateway Module (SGW) which blocks the third party apps.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Now you need to research a Ram Security Gateway Module Bypass for the Promaster, something like this - 2018+ FCA Security Gateway Module Bypass. This is new territory here, your the first, I think.

Actually you should verify that your van has the Security Gateway Module first, IIRC someone reported that it was behind the glove box or next to the steering column.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts