Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is lots of good info here for adding a brake controller without the factory tow option. I have the factory option and was hoping it would be simpler (like all my vehicles from 2002-05); however, it's not looking that way. Hoping someone can help. The Upfitter link gives the following info for the 4 wires from the controller:
1. Brake switch (red) must be spliced to Pin 4 of veh brake switch connector. This is under dash and not really easy for me.
2. Power source (black). Find what works. They suggest going directly to battery.
3. Ground (white). Ditto #2 .
4. Brake output (blue). For late 2014 on, no need to run wire all the way to the 7-pin at the hitch. Simply connect to the blue wire in the MOPAR trailer harness.

I can't seem to find this harness except all the way back at the hitch. Seems really lazy by RAM that there is no brake controller plug-in with the factory towing option. Can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is lots of good info here for adding a brake controller without the factory tow option. I have the factory option and was hoping it would be simpler (like all my vehicles from 2002-05); however, it's not looking that way. Hoping someone can help. The Upfitter link gives the following info for the 4 wires from the controller:
1. Brake switch (red) must be spliced to Pin 4 of veh brake switch connector. This is under dash and not really easy for me.
2. Power source (black). Find what works. They suggest going directly to battery.
3. Ground (white). Ditto #2 .
4. Brake output (blue). For late 2014 on, no need to run wire all the way to the 7-pin at the hitch. Simply connect to the blue wire in the MOPAR trailer harness.

I can't seem to find this harness except all the way back at the hitch. Seems really lazy by RAM that there is no brake controller plug-in with the factory towing option. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Same problem as your having. Dealer will install if I have a viable directions, but I don't

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
You will want fused (+)12V, two axle at least 20A source if not 25A AND fused as close to battery as possible if you're going direct...

Blue wire should be safety capped w/ heatshrink and under mats at drivers feet somewhere... Some finish the wire run across the top of the drivers door down to the floor area and some drop down to sneak in under the drivers seat...

'Under dashboard' is an easy reach... if you lie down across passengers side floor and twist to access the top of the brake pedal arm... Go in with everything you need within reach, about the third time it gets to be a chore...

. ..and remember it may* be a negotiation between what outputs are provided at the vans back 7-pin socket and what is needed for any particular trailer, I didn't try to reuse 7-pin old cables and just made up fresh - and found the 'lights' and the (+)12V supply outputs were reversed from what is specified on hitch mounted socket OEM diagrams....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts