Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting a little more sound from stock. Thinking of maybe a 4 ch amp to drive door speakers and a small sub. I'm sure it will need to be a speaker input amp. Anyone do something similar? Don't really want to get a diff stereo because of the camera and such, just want a little more oomph! Already upgraded the door speakers and wasn't much improvement, it needs more power!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
I've been considering a second head unit in the camping area of the van... there are some pretty affordable and very high tech looking units on de'Bay, etc.

An A/B switch could tie an amp and additional speakers to either head. It would be easier to select and adjust media in the back, and there would not be a problem with the 20 minute timeout.

If you're interested in "tunes while driving only" seems like there's lots of places to put an amp.... under the driver's seat comes to mind. I have my Ham Radio stuff under there. Easy access to power and the B column for speaker wiring.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I put a powered JBL sub behind the drivers seat using rear speaker inputs from the B pillar.
Stock UC-3 with upgraded door soeakers. Sounds great. So great, that I got greedier and changed the head unit to a 60 watter Pioneer. Now, sounds like a concert hall.
But before the head unit swap, it sounded really good with the stock UC3. The subwoofer is the trick. They really fill up the space without overpowering.
I found it on Craigslist for 70 bucks.
good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a powered JBL sub behind the drivers seat using rear speaker inputs from the B pillar.
Stock UC-3 with upgraded door soeakers. Sounds great. So great, that I got greedier and changed the head unit to a 60 watter Pioneer. Now, sounds like a concert hall.
But before the head unit swap, it sounded really good with the stock UC3. The subwoofer is the trick. They really fill up the space without overpowering.
I found it on Craigslist for 70 bucks.
good luck
I have thought about route as well but figured the stocker would be over powered by the sub... Do all these Promasters have the rear speaker inputs? That would make the install super easy!

·
Registered
810 Posts
You just don't run the sub up too high. Mines set at like 3 out of 10. They are adjustable. Perfect. Not thumping down the street, but the difference inside is like night and day.
Dont be afraid to turn the sub down.

·
Super Moderator
10,677 Posts
The dealer has to do his (paid) magic computer trick to make them work although I think I remember someone here discovered a trick way to DIY.

·
Registered
810 Posts
the upfitters plugs are at the bottom of the b-pillar passenger side.
A few screws and pop off the bottom section.(inside clips?)
A white 6 pin connector is the rear speaker leads. IF, you van has the upfitters hookups.

·
Registered
808 Posts
A white 6 pin connector is the rear speaker leads. IF, you van has the upfitters hookups.
Thanks. Not sure if my Crutchfield aftermarket harness wired those or not-- they are usually pretty thorough. Worth a shot.

BTW-- Won a costume contest this year as The Nutty Professor/Buddy Love... they loved me in France.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darn, I bet mine doesn't!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know mine didnt have the upfitter connection as an option like I've seen on other window stickers but I will sure be looking since that area will have to be taken apart anyway when the time comes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I know mine didnt have the upfitter connection as an option like I've seen on other window stickers but I will sure be looking since that area will have to be taken apart anyway when the time comes.
Might be possible to retrofit, but would require taking up the floor. It's just a harness and some connectors as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a bunch of older audio gear I've been trying to figure out how to make it all work in a budget vs. custom system kinda way. Have an old 65w X 2 Alpine amp that could drive the fronts and add a powered sub is what I was gunning for.

Might not be able to do it without a new head unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts